Amazon is restricting the sale of items in “refurbished” condition. Starting January 16, 2019, only sellers pre-approved by Amazon will be allowed to list refurbished products, which it now calls “renewed.”
Sellers must apply to the Amazon Renewed program to participate; however, sellers not approved will still be able to sell “used” goods on standards ASINs.
The company said the benefits of Amazon Renewed include “great savings for customers on like-new products backed by a 90-day (or more) warranty from Amazon vetted and managed sellers.”
Amazon tells sellers the refurbishment process for renewed products typically includes a diagnostic test, replacement of any defective parts, a thorough cleaning and inspection process, and repackaging where applicable. “You ship products with all relevant accessories as expected for a new product, and the product is backed by a minimum 90-day limited warranty.”
Requirements for Selling Amazon Renewed
Amazon spells out the program requirements in a section, “Qualify to sell on Amazon Renewed”:
To qualify to sell certified refurbished, pre-owned and open-box products on Amazon Renewed, we require details of your experience selling such like-new products.
You need to meet the following criteria to qualify as a seller on Amazon Renewed:
- You can supply invoices showing a minimum a total value of $50,000 in qualifying refurbished purchases in the previous 90 days from the date of the application. You may black-out the unit purchase amount on the invoices. Note that sellers intending to offer products related to Home, Home Improvement, Tools, Lawn & Garden, Outdoors, Kitchen, Sports, Toys, or Automotive, you may supply invoices showing a minimum total of $50,000 in qualifying refurbished purchases in the previous 180 days.
- If you are an existing seller on Amazon, we require an ODR of 0.8% or less, with a minimum 700 orders in the trailing 90 days.
- If you want permission to list factory refurbished items (with no manufacturer warranty) you need to submit a minimum of 8 images of a sample unit for product and packaging review (box in which the product will ship, inside packaging and padding, product from top and bottom, product from all four sides).
- Your company provides a minimum 90-day warranty on all of your refurbished products.
- For approval to list on Apple brand in Consumer Electronics categories , we require invoices dated from trailing 90 days that total $2.5 million in Apple refurbished products.
- Start selling and grow your business
Once your application is approved, you can start selling by listing your refurbished, pre-owned and open-box products or adding your offers to existing product listings.
When customers order, you can either fulfill them on your own or use Fulfilment by Amazon
We had written about the program in April 2017 when it was called Certified Refurbished on Amazon, which the company had called “one of the newest and fastest growing programs on Amazon offering customers high-quality Certified Refurbished consumer electronics products.”
Five months later we reported on the rebranding of the program to “Amazon Renewed,” where sellers discussed whether the program might negatively impact eBay.
Amazon Renewed now includes products in the following categories: Laptops & Computers: Smartphones; Tablets; Cameras; Video Game Consoles; Headphones & Audio; Television Sets; Office Equipment; Home & Industrial Tools; Watches; Home Appliances; Kitchen Appliances; Automotive Parts; Outdoors & Sports; Lawn & Garden, Musical Instruments, Home Improvement, Home Cinema, Amazon Devices, and “Refurbished Deals.”
Amazon notified sellers it will remove any remaining refurbished listings from sellers not in the Amazon Renewed program by January 16, 2019. Sellers who want to continue selling refurbished products on Amazon after that date must apply to the Amazon Renewed program on this page.
Shoppers can find “Renewed” items on Amazon.com/renewed.
See related story, “Amazon Challenges eBay with Preowned Luxury Items” on the AuctionBytes Blog.