eBay is more typically accused of copying Amazon than the other way around, but Amazon recently rebranded a little-known program that may cut into a piece of eBay's business. Amazon Renewed offers shoppers refurbished products with a minimum 90-day warranty.
We wrote about the program in the April 6th issue of EcommerceBytes 411 when it was called "Certified Refurbished on Amazon," which has been around since 2015.
The rebranding appears to be an effort on Amazon's part to market refurbs more aggressively to shoppers. Last week, it published a video
to YouTube introducing the program.
Amazon is allowing third-parties to sell through the program, but they must meet strict guidelines. "You can sell on Amazon Renewed if you meet our performance bar and can supply quality products that have been tested and certified to work and look like new."
Items for sale through the Amazon Renewed program include the following categories: Laptops & Computers, Smartphones, Tablets, Cameras, Video Game Consoles, Headphones & Audio, Television Sets, Office Equipment, Home & Industrial Tools, Watches, Home Appliances, and Kitchen Appliances.
However, it's not accepting any more sellers of Apple or Samsung products.
1) You can supply invoices showing a minimum of 500 refurbished units OR a total value of $50,000 in qualifying refurbished purchases in the previous 90 days from the date of the application. Items with a selling price of $15 or less do not count towards the 500 refurbished units. You may black-out either the unit or dollar amount on the invoices, but not both.
2) If you are an existing seller on Amazon, we require an ODR of 0.8% or less, with a minimum 700 orders in the trailing 90 days.
3) If you want permission to list factory refurbished items (with no manufacturer warranty) you need to submit a minimum of 8 images of a sample unit for product and packaging review (box in which the product will ship, inside packaging and padding, product from top and bottom, product from all four sides).
4) Your company provides a minimum 90-day warranty on all of your Certified Refurbished products
5) Your refurbished selection includes products that are not Apple or Samsung products, or factory-refurbished computers (with no manufacturer warranty). To maintain a high customer experience bar, we are no longer accepting Apple or Samsung refurbished resellers or factory-refurbished computer resellers.
Would you sell (or buy) refurbished products through the Amazon Renewed program
? Do you think there will be any impact on eBay sales?