Sponsored Link

E-Mail 'Etsy Defers Offsite Ad Fees, Offers Grace Period for Some' To A Friend

Etsy

Email a copy of 'Etsy Defers Offsite Ad Fees, Offers Grace Period for Some' to a friend

* Required Field






Separate multiple entries with a comma. Maximum 3 entries.



Separate multiple entries with a comma. Maximum 3 entries.


E-Mail Image Verification

Loading ... Loading ...
Ina Steiner on EmailIna Steiner on LinkedinIna Steiner on Twitter
Ina Steiner
Ina Steiner
Ina Steiner is co-founder and Editor of EcommerceBytes and has been reporting on ecommerce since 1999. She's a widely cited authority on marketplace selling and is author of "Turn eBay Data Into Dollars" (McGraw-Hill 2006). Her blog was featured in the book, "Blogging Heroes" (Wiley 2008). Follow her on Twitter at @ecommercebytes and send news tips to ina@ecommercebytes.com.

8 thoughts on “Etsy Defers Offsite Ad Fees, Offers Grace Period for Some”

  1. With all due respect-unless I’m reading this wrong this letter absolutely does NOT “defer” offsite ad fees for any length of time. The start date for Etsy to start charging for these ads was/is April 14th. Ad participation is MANDATORY for any shop that’s take more than $10,000 in the last 12 months and the commission is absolutely egregious. 12% of the total including shipping ON TOP OF the regular 5%!!!! So a soul crushing business ending 17% commission. All Josh is saying here is “Oh by the way-Etsy is investing $5,000,000 into these ads because we believe we’ll reap a handsome investment return on our outlay due to the fact you’re forced to participate.’ Color me unimpressed. I’d be more impressed if Etsy said “We’ve realized with the economy melting down that 17% might be a tad too greedy. We’ll lower that forced commission to a flat 10% ALL IN which would keep us in line with the biggest ecommerce platform Ebay”.

  2. @quirkyantiques

    In the Etsy Help Center: https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360044357034-How-to-Manage-Your-Shop-During-COVID-19?segment=selling#360044357034_5

    is the following statement:

    Etsy is investing now in your growth, so you won’t see any charges for Offsite Ads until at least May 1st.

    Theoretically, we won’t be charged but, honestly, the language is a little too loose for me. Since I am closing my store the first time I am charged for Offsite Ads, it might give me an extra week or two on the off-chance that I should sell something since they buried my no-free-shipping listings.

    1. So-a 2 week grace period. Big deal lol. The economy is crashing and a 17% commission will be the death blow to more than a few shops. 20% if your shop takes less than $10,000 a year. Etsy should rethink this whole mandatory ad thing if they’re serious about keeping their small business holders afloat right now.

  3. Etsy could have done a lot more over the past year than to kill sellers sales. Now we’re in a crisis? Well I don’t have to worry because many of my items that should sell on Etsy dont because of their inane changes to visibility and marketing. They are going the way of eBay and they won’t be missed either.

  4. I don’t care for the ads, won’t use them anyway. They are just a money-making scheme for etsy.
    “Grace period” one month???? how about 3 months ?

  5. I requested Etsy extend renewing listings for 6 months instead of 4, cannot be done apparently. I am disappointed as I am clocking up renewals and have had no sales to cover the cost. I wanted to pay direct and that was also a no. Regarding the ads. I never asked for them and never needed them as I was doing very well so that offer is meaning less to me.

  6. Offsite ads has to be one of the worst ideas Etsy has ever had at east from the sellers point of view. Half of my sales this month are from Offsite Ads. Etsy targets your best selling items to advertise. These items would sell without ads. I did not ask for help or do I need it. I am going to be paying 23% selling fees for half of my sales. This sucks the profit from my shop. My items are labor intensive it’s not like I an just crank up production to increase my income.
    Good thing Etsy has new sellers standing I line because they will be losing long time sellers and with them will go a lot of revnue.
    Etsy has said that 20% of sellers generate 80% of the sales.
    I am one of the 20% and I am looking to leave ASAP

Comments are closed.