Etsy is prepping sellers for the holiday shopping season with a new Marketplace Insights report that provides tips on capturing the attention of shoppers.
The report includes a visual calendar reminding sellers that Halloween and Autumn shopping kicks off this month and runs through October, while shoppers also start looking for Holiday décor as early as this month. Holiday gifting starts in October. And then there are the shoppers preparing for New Year’s celebrations, who begin their shopping in early December, according to the Etsy guide.
“Shopping for holiday decorations peaks in November, but many shoppers start browsing as early as September,” according to the report. “Meanwhile, gift shopping picks up speed after Halloween.”
In one of its pro tips, Etsy advises, “Stock personalized gifts early to allow for lengthier processing time.”
The report breaks down top holiday trends by category and includes popular search terms as well information about seasonal opportunities.
On page 48 of the report, Etsy provides tips on getting discovered, including the following excerpts:
- Include relevant seasonal search terms in your tags and titles. Flip back through this report for ideas.
- When stocking your shop, time your offerings with upticks in searches for that type of item.
- Consider common budgets when pricing your items (for example: gifts under $30, $50, $100).
- Offer ready-to-ship items to appeal to last-minute shoppers and be eligible for select gift guide promotions.
- Add important recipient phrases like “best friend” or “gifts for him” to your titles and tags.
- Use attributes to help shoppers find your items in search.
The report is available for US sellers with versions for sellers in other countries as well.
In addition, Etsy’s Trend Expert Dayna Isom Johnson discussed holiday trends in a recent podcast (Did you know two of the most popular decades right now are the ’70s and the ’90s, according to Johnson?)
You can read more on the Etsy announcement board.