Amazon sold 18 million toys on Black Friday (November 23) and Cyber Monday (November 26). It’s worth noting that Amazon institutes restrictions on third-party sellers in toy categories during the holiday season.
Nevertheless, Amazon said sales by small and medium-sized businesses worldwide grew more than 20 percent on its marketplace on Black Friday year-over-year. It’s a difficult number to parse, since Amazon didn’t reveal how many additional small businesses sold on the marketplace this year compared to last (typically retailers provide “same store” sales data to enable apples-to-apples comparisons).
In fact, Amazon revealed little in the way of details about the 5-day Thanksgiving holiday weekend, following its usual practice of being tight-lipped with data (and making an ex-executive’s claims about GMV so interesting).
Another example – Amazon said customers in the US purchased “millions more products” over the five-day Thanksgiving weekend shopping period vs. the same period last year, not even revealing by what percent.
The company did reveal that Cyber Monday was once again the single biggest shopping day in its history with more products ordered worldwide than any other day, and said customers purchased over 13 million fashion items on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, combined.
US Thanksgiving Holiday-Weekend Highlights:
– Sales by small and medium-sized businesses worldwide grew more than 20 percent on Black Friday year-over-year.
– Throughout the Turkey 5, Amazon.com customers ordered more than 180 million items.
– Prime members got into the Christmas spirit over the holiday weekend—Christmas lights were a bestseller on Prime Now.
– The best-selling products at Amazon 4-star and Amazon Books over the Turkey 5 weekend included the all-new Echo Dot, Becoming by Michelle Obama, the Amazon Smart Plug, and the L.O.L. Surprise Series toys.
– The best-selling products at Amazon Pop-Up device kiosks over the Turkey 5 weekend included the all-new Echo Dot and the Amazon Smart Plug.
– Customers ordered more than four million toys and electronics on the mobile app on Black Friday.
– The best-selling products across Amazon.com on Cyber Monday included the all-new Echo Dot, AncestryDNA: Genetic Testing Ethnicity, Bose QuietComfort 25 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones for Apple devices, Becoming by Michelle Obama, Jenga, and Instant Pot DUO60 – 6 Quart.
Amazon said shoppers purchased a record number of Amazon devices globally over the holiday weekend, with millions of devices sold worldwide. It sold millions of Echo devices worldwide and said, “The all-new Echo Dot was the #1 selling product on Amazon globally, from any manufacturer, in any category.”
Doorstep Delivery and Convenient Pick Up
Amazon also focused on delivery in its press release:
– Free Shipping This Holiday: All Amazon customers can shop hundreds of millions of items including every product category with free shipping, and now for a limited time, there is no minimum purchase amount on orders delivered through the holiday season. These items typically ship in 5-8 business days.
– Delivery as Fast as Today: Tens of millions of Prime members can shop with FREE Same-Day Delivery on more than three million items. Place an order in the morning and receive eligible same-day orders before bedtime that very same day, seven days a week – even Sunday. Plus free Two-Day Shipping is available exclusively to all Prime members in the U.S. on more than 100 million items with no minimum purchase amount.
– One Hour Grocery Delivery + Pickup: Prime members can shop groceries from Whole Foods Market through Prime Now in as little as an hour in 60 cities, and grocery pickup in as little as thirty minutes in select cities – making holiday feast planning or last minute baking even easier. And even beyond groceries, Prime members can use Prime Now to get one- and two-hour delivery on tens of thousands of items across dozens of categories in 30 major cities, perfect for last minute parties, gifts or travel.
Click below to see Amazon’s full press release:
SOURCE: Amazon Press Release