Etsy will begin marketing its site as a source of Mother’s Day gifts in 2 weeks, and it will select “giftable” listings to promote in the campaign. Mother’s Day falls on May 13 this year.
“We’ll select eligible ready-to-ship and gift-wrappable items for promotion on the Etsy.com homepage, in curated Editor’s Picks pages, on social media, a site banner, and in emails to shoppers, beginning April 16,” it told sellers. It advised them to prepare by taking the following actions:
– Set your items’ processing times to between one and three business days.
– Turn on the gift wrap feature in shops.
– If you sell custom items that require longer processing times, offer gift wrapping to ensure your items are eligible for potential promotion.
The Mother’s Day marketing campaign will run from April 16 to May 15 in the US, Canada, Australia, and Germany, and until May 29 in France, where Mother’s Day falls two weeks later. (Mother’s Day was already celebrated in March in the UK)
Etsy opened up a thread for sellers to discuss its report on Mother’s Day trends last month. Some sellers reported they had prepared their listings so they would have a chance to have their items promoted in the campaign.
Others expressed a few concerns:
– Some categories don’t offer the Mother’s Day occasion attribute – some sellers were incredulous Etsy didn’t offer the attribute for jewelry or vintage goods.
– Sellers of vintage goods also felt snubbed by the trends post, which didn’t mention the appeal of vintage goods as Mother’s Day gifts.
– Sellers must turn on the Gift Wrap feature to be eligible for the Mother’s Day promotion, but there’s no option to offer free gift wrapping using that tool. That’s a problem for sellers who already offer free gift wrapping or who sell items for which gift-wrapping makes no sense (large antiques or Mother’s Day greeting cards, for example).
Sellers of personalized / customized goods also felt left out, since Etsy will only consider promoting items that can be shipped within 3 days.
You can view the comments from Etsy sellers on the discussion thread it set up here.