eBay is running a new promotion for shoppers called the “Summer of Choice,” and is using mobile deals as a keystone of the campaign, hosted with the help of social networking site Twitter.
The campaign kicks off on Friday, June 24, when eBay will begin tweeting dueling deals; Twitter shoppers have three days to vote, at which time the winning item will be featured within the eBay app for iOS and Android and available for purchase for 48 hours.
eBay arranged the deals from certain sellers in the fashion, tech and home categories to feature seasonal items that include “summer essentials for favorite occasions and popular milestones,” such as Independence Day, the Olympics, and Labor Day. All of the deals will offer free shipping.
The Summer of Choice promotion schedule is as follows:
- The 4th of July: Voting begins on June 24; Deal released on June 27
- Summer Fun: Voting begins on July 18; Deal released on July 21
- Olympics: Voting begins on August 8; Deal released on August 11
- Labor Day: Voting begins on August 22; Deal released on August 25
The first set of dueling deals will feature a Char-Broil Classic Grill at 70 percent off versus a Nutri Ninja Auto-iQ Blender at 50 percent off.
The head of eBay North America Hal Lawton said in the press announcement:
“We know that Americans from coast to coast want choice – the right items at the right price – along with a quick and simple shopping experience. Our new mobile app offers the most seamless way to browse and buy millions of items. And, all summer long, eBay is letting shoppers decide the deals that are right for them – delivering in-demand merchandise at extraordinary value, directly to their fingertips.”
The promotion is clearly designed to get shoppers using eBay’s mobile app. eBay touted its new release and told shoppers to stay tuned for additional app updates throughout the summer “as eBay releases more enhancements to the shopping experience.”
It’s interesting to peruse some statistics eBay released as part of the announcement.
- eBay has 162 million active buyers
- Virtually all items are backed by eBay Money Back Guarantee
- 79% of merchandise sold on eBay is new
- 900 million listings at any given time
- The majority (63%) of items on eBay ship for free (reflects U.S, UK and DE)
And here are mobile-shopping related statistics it released:
- 314 million eBay Inc. app downloads across the globe
- 9.5 million new listings added via mobile per week
- Of the app users in the U.S., approximately 42% use Android, 50% use our iOS and 8% use both apps (Data sampled from 5/1/2015 – 4/30/2016 for eBay U.S.)
- Android users spend the most on the P&A, Fashion and Electronics categories; iOS users spend more Fashion and Electronics categories**
eBay also said research it conducted in April found that nearly three in five Americans plan to shop more on their mobile devices this summer.