Etsy is rolling out a new design for Etsy Conversations, or Convos as users call the member-to-member messaging system. The changes are primarily cosmetic according to the company and, as with most changes companies roll out these days, they are designed to improve the experience for users accessing the site on mobile devices.
Etsy said the changes would also make it easier to manage conversations and help create consistency with the other areas of the site. But users will have to get used to things being moved around the page, such as a new location for the search box.
Some of the changes users will see when accessing the main Etsy Conversations page from a computer include:
- The Search box has moved to the left, just above the folders. It was previously located in the top center, above the messages.
- The “Compose” button has been relocated from the left hand sidebar to the top right.
- The “New” flag no longer appears. Instead, unread messages now appear in bold.
Etsy said, “In addition to some minor design changes on the main Conversations page, we’ve also moved the “Snippets” icon to the bottom right, next to the “Attach File” button, in the convo reply box.
Some of the changes users will see when accessing the main Etsy Conversations page from a mobile device include:
- We’ve added checkboxes to the left of the messages to make it easier to delete or move messages in bulk.
- Tapping any portion of a message from the inbox (member’s icon, username, shop name, or the subject line) will now open the message. However, you can still reach the order page, Etsy shop, or member’s profile from within the Conversation itself.
- The Etsy Search bar is now automatically collapsed until the Search icon is tapped, for a cleaner view.
Etsy began rolling out the new design on Wednesday, and it will finish rolling out to all members within the next week. As with any change, some users like it, others don’t – Etsy users discussed the changes in this this thread on the Etsy boards. The last time Etsy made a change to Convos, it wasn’t popular – in 2014, Etsy made some significant changes to navigation.