Amazon launched a new mobile app called Amazon Seller designed for third-party merchants. Amazon spokesperson Erik Fairleigh confirmed it was the first ever app for Amazon Marketplace Sellers made available by Amazon.
Currently the app is available only for the Apple iOS platform. It requires iOS 6.0 or later, and while compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, it is optimized for iPhone 5. Some sellers talking about the new app on discussion boards bemoaned the fact it hadn’t made an android version. An Amazon moderator confirmed an Android version was in development but was unable to provide an ETA.
Amazon is pitching the Amazon Seller app as a tool to help sellers “quickly identify new selling opportunities on Amazon.com and respond to customer questions.” Features include the following:
- Search for new items to sell on Amazon. Check current prices, sales rank, and customer reviews of items on Amazon by using text search or scanning barcodes.
- Estimate the profitability of your items before you sell. Add product cost information to see the estimated profitability of your items after primary Selling on Amazon and Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) fees.
- List your items for sale. Create listings on Amazon.com quickly and easily.
- Respond to customer messages. Provide great customer service by responding to customer questions quickly with the app.
- Support from Amazon. Have a question about selling on Amazon? Use the app to contact Seller Support.
- Secure access to your Amazon Seller account. All activity is routed through Amazon’s servers.
Amazon launched a new discussion board where sellers can discuss the selling app. Upon early review, sellers seem to like the tool for tasks when they are sourcing products, but find it lacking some management tools (Amazon said additional features will be added to the Amazon Seller app in the months ahead, including inventory management, order management and a sales summary.)
One seller suggested Amazon forget mobile apps for sellers and instead make Seller Central a truly responsive website, “Meaning, one that changes and is just as easy to use on a phone as it is on a desktop.”
Sellers can also leave the app reviews on the iTunes store. “Good start,” wrote one seller. “Looking forward to more features and this app is already useful unlike what some of the other reviewers say. Great App.” “Love the product search and communication,” wrote another reviewer. “Look forward to more functionality so I can run my business on mobile.”
The Amazon Seller app requires a US Selling on Amazon account, and any actions performed in the Amazon Seller app, such as responding to customer messages or dismissing notifications from Amazon, will be reflected across the seller’s account.
Sellers can download the new app to their Apple devices by visiting iTunes.
Comment on the AuctionBytes Blog.