Guides are written by EcommerceBytes readers who wish to share their expertise. EcommerceBytes Guides are limited to topics related to online buying, selling, and collecting.
Some examples might include:
- How to win an eBay auction
- How to save on shipping costs
- How to tell a fake Coach handbag
- How to set up an online store
- How to use a repricer
- How to exhibit and sell at a flea market
- A buying guide to engagement rings
In the guide and in your profile, you can link to your own ecommerce website, product listings, or online marketplace stores.
The content is submitted by readers, and we will curate them to make sure they are related to ecommerce and collecting. We will not accept editorial or opinion pieces in the guides. See more information on the main Guides page.
Q. Why should I host my guide on EcommerceBytes?
A. There are many advantages to putting your guide on EcommerceBytes. EcommerceBytes is a well-trafficked site (over 5 million page views monthly). By putting your guide on EcommerceBytes, you’re not only building a resource that tens of thousands of sellers use, but you can also gain exposure to your listings on all of your selling venues.
The graphic below shows how you can create a bio that appears on ALL of your guides that include links back to your various marketplaces.
Note that some readers spent a lot of time creating guides for eBay’s website, but those will be deleted on April 12, according to an announcement from eBay. It would be a shame to lose them, and we’re happy to host the ones that deal with online buying, selling, and collectibles, on EcommerceBytes.
Q. How do I link to my listings in my biographical info?
A. In order to submit a guide, you will need to register on EcommerceBytes. Once you have registered, you can create a profile to let people know a little more about you. Within your bio, there is a section that will allow you to write a brief description, including links back to the marketplaces where you sell. For example, below is the code we used to create the bio for A. Sample, including links back to 4 marketplaces. (replace https://www.ecommercebytes.com with the URL of your own selling venues)
For each site you wish to link to, use this template – copy and paste it into a text editor (such as Notepad) and plug in the corresponding URL and Name, changing both the site link and website name to yours:
<a href=”https://www.sitelink.com”>My Website</a>
Q. Can the author’s name and a copyright notice be added to the bottom of the guide content?
A. When you submit a guide, you can include a note at the bottom indicating your copyright. You should also enter a description in the profile section that will display underneath the guide that can include your name and links to your stores/websites.
Q. Does your format accept HTML code for links back to my site and/or a complete copy of the original manuscript?
A. Yes – you can include links both in the guide and in your profile that displays underneath the guide.
Q. If need be, can published guides be deleted?
A. If you wish to remove your guide from EcommerceBytes, email firstname.lastname@example.org – be sure to use the same email address you used to register.
Q. Can my published guides be edited or updated?
A. If you wish to update your guide, email email@example.com.
Q. How do I add pictures to my guide?
A. For now, we have disabled the ability to upload images to their guides. We may add that feature in the future, but there are several methods you may use in the interim:
- After you’ve submitted your guide for approval, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the images you would like added to your guide. Use the email address you signed up for WordPress with, and put the name of your guide in the subject line. Show where each image should be placed in your guide by placing the image name in brackets (ex. [image1.jpg] [image2.jpg]) and placing them in the appropriate location within the text. We’ll take care of the rest. Images should be under 1000px wide and preferably in JPG format.
- Host your images elsewhere and link to them from the guide. You will need to familiarize yourself with a bit of HTML to use this method.