Sun Jan 22 2023 09:56:06

eBay Holds Longtime Seller's Funds 40 Days and Counting

By: Reader

I have been selling and buying on eBay since 2011 without any issues. On December 3, 2022, I sold an expensive bag which was received by the buyer on December 6, 2022.

As soon as the bag was shipped my account with eBay was restricted. I received an email asking for my ID. I provided front and back of my driver license. Since that time I have chatted and called eBay asking for a time line of when I will receive my payout. No one is able to give me a clear answer.

I have read on eBay community platform that they have been holding peoples money without any explanation on and off for a while.

The arbitrary restriction of sellers account and the hold on money that sellers are entitled to for undetermined amount of time is theft.

A.

Perminate Link for eBay Holds Longtime Seller's Funds 40 Days and Cou   eBay Holds Longtime Seller's Funds 40 Days and Cou

by: GetAGrip This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 22 15:31:20 2023

More to the story than being told.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jan 22 18:55:50 2023

@A. (the OP): Did your buyer complain that the bag was a copy? If your story is not leaving out any details, then file a complaint with the California Attorney General's Office.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 23 02:39:50 2023

This is a much more complicated story that has been shared here.  There are reasons for it, we may not like them or agree with them, but there are reasons or at least a reason.

Same with the stories you have read on the Ebay community.  Each case has its own specifics, they are not all alike.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jan 23 08:27:05 2023

Please keep us posted.  If you are a long term seller I am guessing that you have a track record of doing things right and honestly.  My guess is that either the buyer or a third party (hmm, high end luxury manufacturer or retailer?) who is causing the issue of your payment hold.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 23 08:49:37 2023

"There are reasons for it, we may not like them or agree with them, but there are reasons or at least a reason."

The answer (of course) is that eBay is judge jury and executioner and can do as they please.

There are PLENTY of people who give eBay cover for them to do as they please "whenever", without explanation, without any kind of whats known as "due process".

Dont forget - a buyers word is sacrosanct, and you are just a mere seller. How DARE YOU claim innocence! (or that you even have ANY kind of rights!?)

We hold your funds as long as WE decide to.

(SHHH we dont want to wait 30 days to get paid (FVF) so WE take it up front - but YOU (you rotten nasty stupid seller), YOU wait . (But people here claim the TOS allows this)

eBay isnt the buyer, they havent seen your item, they dont even know you, and theres no email/law suit or even accusation from a maker or anyone else that has see the item but as they say on WWE "the Rock says: It doesnt matter what you think/say!" and on eBay ... it doesnt. Because the website that hosts your listings decided for you whats good/bad, right/wrong.

Just hold peoples funds cause .... Q4 sucked and we need the float, or what ever - does it matter? (sarcasm off)

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 23 09:11:50 2023

Try eBay for Business on FB--send them a message.  If you're in the right they'll take care of it.

by: ronk53 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 23 11:02:50 2023

I never sell anything on Ebay I can't afford to lose. If I do list and sell an item that is expensive and it sells, I do some investigating before I ship. I llook up the address on Google and make sure it's real. I look at their feedback and feedback they have left for others. If I see to many negatives left for others I cancel the sale! I know many of you probably won't agree but what I sell belongs to me, not Ebay,
Doing the above has worked well for the last 22 years. Another observation, if the buyer asks alot of stupid questions or becomes demanding it's a red flag!  If I suspect a fraud sale I immediately call ebay and have it on record. Doesn't happen often!

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 23 11:10:57 2023

“ eBay tells me my account is under review and to give them 4-5 days. They have been telling me this for 40 days.”

What is the “reason”, for eBay lying to this buyer?  Is that seriously defendable in any conceivable circumstance?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 23 11:30:18 2023

If there is a Chargeback or other claim in play, the OP should know about it.  A claim in Ebay would not likely take 40+ days to process.

I don't think anyone is defending Ebay, I think there is just more to the story than has been shared here.

From what I've seen, this will happen from time to time with a seller that has had some documentation requested but has not responded with it.  Sometime because they don't think Ebay should need it.  That of course would just prolong the problem.  If they have requested some information, you need to provide it.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 23 14:08:53 2023

Even if there is a claim by a buyer against the seller - it should take 1-3 days, not 45.

As for a chargeback - MAX 2 weeks, in 2023 we have computers and can scan and upload docs to banks and CC companies to get these resolved.

No need for 40 days - unless you are of the Jewish faith at Sinai (they waited 40 days to receive the 10 commandments)

eBays commandments (since I broached the topic)

1. Money is my GOD and there shall be no other god except it
2. Buyers never swear falsely, all they say is the truth

ect

Back to the topic

Did the buyer (going on what he/she said):

1) receive a VERO notice? IF not then theres no problem aka no reason to hold funds
2) if the buyer claimed FAKE, then make the buyer return the item and refund their money (SOP)
3) if a buyer initiated a chargeback without opening a case and/or opened a case as well - then make the buyer return the item and then once received by the seller, refund the buyers funds

So wheres the issue?

Theres no scenario where anything takes 40 days - maybe the food @ Walkers is 40 days old - who knows ??

All this because crooked CA politicians let eBay be the website and the cc processor and the bank - all at the same time.

Original Sin is eBays hallmark - it all comes from the same place - the conference room in San Jose where these types of plts (like the one with Ina & David) were hatched.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 23 15:59:56 2023

The fact there is “more to the story” is already the OP’s point.  The fact eBay isn’t telling theirs while using ‘whatever like it or not reason’ that story may entail as justification for withholding earned compensation for sales which have been otherwise smoothly (for eBay) processing - for over a DECADE - while continuing to lie about it, is the question.

Is lying about it instead of providing an official explanation justified by fact part of what should be expected to “happen from time to time” also?

Wouldn’t the whole ‘concern’ of this post be stated differently, say to decry the actual “reason” then known by the OP, if the whole “story” was already known?

eBay is the one who shouldn’t get the benefit of any doubt here.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 24 01:44:24 2023

@ Pace

Very few INADs are resolved in 1-3 days unless the seller is just going to refund the buyer and not require a return.  And Chargeback take much longer.  Put 45 days for any type of claim would be an excessive amount of time, you are correct.  It is doubtful this is the OP's issue.

If there is documentation that Ebay has requested and the seller has not supplied it to them, their account would be on hold until they comply whether that is 1 day or 100 days or more.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 24 08:42:57 2023

Its NEVER taken that long - when EVER ive had an issue with eBay.

Even when Ive had VERO issues (all of which Ive won), it never took that long.

Im not sure which eBay you sell on, mine is certainly different then yours.

What "documentation" does the maker of a website need, what are they entitled to? They have no right or need for ANYTHING not pertaining to sending you money (banking/routing number), and your SS or business Tax ID for state tax purposes.

Anything else (using lawyer terms) is OVER REACH and SHOULD have nothing to do with funds being released, period.

Why does eBay need your drivers license? Are they planning on buying guns? drugs? alcohol? Are they planing on getting on a plane or getting a Passport?

If the buyer has YOUR item - you deserve to either get paid or have your item back, period - in a timely fashion.

If the buyer claimed) fake - same thing and its the RIGHTS HOLDER and NOT eBay that would need to take action.

Theres NO scenario that ANYTHING should take this long.

Its simply another eBay game.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jan 24 13:43:03 2023

@Pace

"Mine is evil cruel mean and theft-tastic, yours is rainbows and sunshine (apparently)"  That makes no sense at all.  You say it only takes 1-3 days in your experience to process an INAD and I said it takes longer.  This is your comeback???????  I state it takes longer and you say it is a much shorter period of time.  This just goes to show that anything I say, absolutely anything is met with this kind of comments.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 24 16:02:15 2023

“ There is more to the story, we just don't currently have the information.  The OP may or may not choose to supply it.”

The OP??  Let’s review:

“ The lack of communication and transparency in this situation by eBay is unacceptable and I would like to let other people know of my experience.”

Sounds like enough information to understand the OP’s (declared) motive here.  Can the OP know eBay’s?

“ I have been selling and buying on eBay since 2011 without any issues.”

Tenure identified.  eBay will ‘inform’ us of it’s worth in a couple quotes.

“ I sold an expensive bag…received by the buyer [in three days].”

No issue noted.   But aha! Should we imply an unrevealed “case” perhaps?

But would that not make the whole post a lie?  And wouldn’t that lie easily be revealed by fact so to be subject to libel prosecution at this point?  Seems like a big risk to take just to share an (alleged now?) experience.  We can pocket it, but there’s more…

“  As soon as the bag was shipped my account with eBay was restricted. I received an email asking for my ID. I provided [it].”

So, no mention of any case.  No ‘non-compliance’.  But alas, another pocketful of doubt - No mention of any other request not snapped-to complied with.

But wouldn’t that be the (an) answer sought, and make the post moot?  Certainly be a basis for the different argument of ‘propriety’ for the action in the first place.  Anyway, so much for benefit of doubt by earned tenure.  eBay makes THAT at least loud and clear.

“ Since that time I have chatted and called eBay… No one is able to give me a clear answer.”

Seems that any information ‘missing’ needs to come from eBay, not the OP, unless that pocket full of bias one might have for purposefully omitting, ill-motivated contributors keeps one leaning the wrong way.

There’s more to the story.  We just don’t currently have the information.  eBay may or may not choose to supply it. And continue to lie instead.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 24 18:00:46 2023

"Then you must not require your buyers to return the item when they file an INAD. "

I require that I get EITHER one or the other.

Im not sure how you do business, but I dont run a charity organization. Having lawyers in the family (thankfully) means I dont pay to initiate legal "requests" to eBay.

REGARDLESS of the TOS, you cant have BOTH - its theft - sending lawyers letters makes people (even sleeping Griffs) wake up.

What others do or do not do - I cant tell you.

Before I get to point 2 - you some how, magically, neglected to explain why YOU think eBay is entitled to copies of peoples drivers licenses, or passports.

1) eBay has no need for any of that kind of info. Its a website that offers space to sell goods online. They are not a bank or a local or state entity. They are NOT entitled PERIOD.

2) eBay (being the most UNtrustworthy company online today) does NOT have a track record that inspires ANY kind of trust. Do you know where your info would go? Which of the 10 THOUSAND employees will see it, who will use it?

3) Seeing your drivers license wont settle ANY kind of dispute.

Your turn PLEASE to try and explain why it would be needed.

Back to ""Mine is evil cruel mean and theft-tastic, yours is rainbows and sunshine (apparently)" That makes no sense at all. You say it only takes 1-3 days in your experience to process an INAD and I said it takes longer. This is your comeback??????? I state it takes longer and you say it is a much shorter period of time. This just goes to show that anything I say, absolutely anything is met with this kind of comments."

Yes, yes it is.

Your experiences and your replies seem to indicate "well its in the TOS, I dont like it, but Im sharing all the rules (ty btw - its good for those who may not know the evil juggernaut that eBay is and how it tries to use legalese to destroy smaller sellers), and you agreed to it so too bad" every time an issue arises. Therefore - it must not be that bad - you yourself seem to be resigned to it all.

3/4 of the columns here are about eBay doing something evil, this isnt my site so you cant blame me.

If they wouldnt do bad things - there would be no columns about it, and we wouldnt be having this conversation (as much as I do like talking to you about eBay)

Q: How many columns are there about Poshmark or Mercari holding peoples money for 40+ days?
A: 0

Q: How many articles are there about Posh or Mercari forcing people to make their catalog for free?
A: 0

See where Im going here?

MAYBE im wrong and your passion(s) just dont come through in your replies - if so - I apologize - but they dont seem to.

I asked along time ago but it bares repeating - what does eBay have to do (and I think we know the answer - try and hurt the Steiners) to make you MAD at them enough that it shows? (not the nonchalant wishy washy replies)

EVERY seller is my friend, every one. Everyone that gets stolen from - is like myself being stolen from (wait thats not correct english - but you get the point).

When eBay does something wrong (same would apply to Amazon btw) - it makes me mad - its PERSONAL. If they hurt you - Id be just as mad .

40 days is too much, especially when eBay wants THEIR CUT on the spot - theres ZERO justification for any of it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jan 25 01:07:23 2023

@pace

Then if you require your buyer to return the item on an INAD, it can't possibly take 1-3 days as you have previously stated.  Buyers often take more time that that just to ship the item back, then the carriers are not always very fast either.

So what started this was I disagreed with you that INADs only take 1-3 days to process.  Clearly that isn't possible even for you, just like it is for the rest of the sellers unless they are not requiring a return and are just refunding the buyer.

This is what I was discussing with you, so I will leave it at this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Jan 25 01:08:57 2023

@Snapped

I must have missed it.  I don't think anyone said the OP "lied".  What has been said is the whole story is not likely stated here.  That doesn't mean the OP lied at all, just missing some details.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 25 09:35:12 2023

Lets try this again - maybe I wasnt clear in my response - or you dont feel like answering ... ?

"Before I get to point 2 - you some how neglected to explain why YOU think eBay is entitled to copies of peoples drivers licenses, or passports.

Can you tell us why you think eBay is entitled to this ? They already have the OPs name and address - do they need his/her states drivers license #? What good does it do anyone?

I suspect you have no answer.

As for the claim of "it takes time blah blah blah" ... so you DONT think 40 days is too much?

Do you think eBay should step in and say ENOUGH?

Do you think that while eBay gets paid COD, sellers should not be afforded that same courtesy?

You seem to skip all these relevant questions each time - hence my comment that you dont take this with the same alarm as others (including myself) here.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Wed Jan 25 10:28:53 2023

Why is the government turning a blind eye to this ?