Mon Aug 1 2022 16:32:58

Why A Seller Feels Forced to Ship Priority Mail over Ground

By: Reader

To all sellers: does it seem like USPS is trying to force everyone into Priority Mail with excess damage/breaking using Retail Ground, no matter how WELL the packaging is done?

Have gone so far as to carve rigid foam to cocoon glass.

I am not a conspiracy nut but I am starting to wonder.
R.

Perminate Link for Why A Seller Feels Forced to Ship Priority Mail ov   Why A Seller Feels Forced to Ship Priority Mail ov

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Aug 2 00:50:42 2022

Well, I stopped shipping glass all together.
Years ago.
Can't trust anyone to get the job done.
Hence the popularity of Plastic.....I guess.....
Such a shame......

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Aug 2 03:10:17 2022

I ship USPS all the time and it is extremely rare for me to have anything damaged.  But I don't ship glass or other breakable stuff.

by: CT Bay This user has validated their user name.

Tue Aug 2 07:31:08 2022

I ship breakable stuff all the time. They break a lot of it. FedEx billing quotes were lies so I switched to UPS. What UPS bills is a lot closer to what they quote but the deny all insurance claims.
 I had a urinal smashed last week. $200, claim denied. It was packed in its FACTORY shipping box with FACTORY packing. I should have put another layer of foam and box.
 You cannot protect things like you used to and have it arrive undamaged. Its the maze of conveyors and other heavy items that smashes them about every time.
  You must pack it as you normally would and then pack that box in another box with an additional 2” all around. You need 4-6” on all sides and at least two, maybe three, boxes. A box in a box in a box is needed for glass these days.
   If you mark it fragile its more likely to get broken. The drivers are typically good but the minimum wage temps running DC conveyor belts, working in the warehouse, make a game of smashing stuff.

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 4 00:15:14 2022

We used to send most things First Class Parcel, unless the buyer selected Priority.  We don't use UPS or FedEx because they don't go to all the rural areas our buyers tend to be in.

We had what we felt were an unacceptable number of "lost" or delayed packages with First Class, and a few thing broken.  These are things that are synthetic, but flat objects that COULD be damaged if someone flexed the mailers they were in, despite plenty of bubble-wrap.

So after the holidays we moved everything to default to Priority Mail.  Since our items are small, we can use flat-rate boxes, and pack them well too; the result has been 0% breakage, and NOTHING lost at all.

I keep thinking that SOMEWHERE there has to be a huge landfill-type place filled with all the "Lost" packages we've had go missing previously!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 4 03:15:24 2022

I don't source and sell glassware anymore.  Too fragile.  But let me say this about USPS carriers.  The USPS has carriers delivering "furniture".  We have a room where the deliveries go, and I often see USPS carrying large furniture in a box.  Those guys work hard and it's bad business IMO when Wayfair, Walmart, etc. use the USPS to deliver furniture like chairs and tables.  They should use freight carriers and charge accordingly.  But because USPS is so "cheap" in cost, they go to USPS.  What this is doing is causing the carriers to "break down" because they're delivering large pieces of furniture.  Also, if you notice, the older senior carriers are retiring and there are a bunch of younger "kids" and they don't know how to handle things.  I'm afraid to hand off my mail and packages to a younger "kid" because he doesn't handle it right.

by: Fessick This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 4 05:01:55 2022

I ship USPS parcel ground and USPS priority almost exclusively except for large heavy boxes going to west coast (I’m on the east coast).  I sell 100’s of Glass items and dinnerware as well as fragile Crystal drinkware.  It’s extremely rare that anything breaks and I have not had a smashed package in over 2 years.  I simply pack well (and gets lots of compliments on my careful packing.)   It’s worth a little extra to provide not only sufficient bubblewrap but also a layer of styrofoam board inside the outer edges of boxes.  I do buy huge rolls of bubblewrap and some of my larger square shipping boxes….but honestly, most of my packing contents are recycled packing materials from a few of my favorite stores,  I feel it’s my responsibility to anticipate packages getting dropped or thrown.  USPS workers are mostly wonderful people .

When I see posts like this I get to thinking that a little self inflection is in order.

My personal irritation is the occasional completely dishonest buyer who will claim “damage”  in order to try to get a partial or full refund. ……and eBay who will side with them every time in every circumstance.  But, these few irritations are a “cost of business”  and I’m thankful not to have a brick and mortar with lunatics coming in at gun point.  USPS allows me this shield of protection from the outside world.  So….I hope you will look at yourself, your shipping practices and your blessings…… and consider all aspects.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 4 08:45:24 2022

What's wrong at the Post Office?  In a word .... DeJoy.

by: Stone Cutter This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 4 09:54:19 2022

***Professional glass sellers have professional packaging***

I recently purchased a coffee press from an online business. The coffee press arrived with an outer layer of hard cardboard and styrofoam made “specifically” for that glass item

If sellers cannot provide professional packaging, then they should not be selling glass items.

by: NYSteve This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 4 11:35:47 2022

just on a personal grudge note:

I'd rather have glass sent to me in a manila envelope , than to have someone quadruple pack it in USPS provided free (really? no one pays?) bubble priority envelopes! (sent in an outer first class envelope)

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 4 17:29:02 2022

I ship glass and all kinds of breakables, and have never had any damage. Yes, the boxes get damaged but none of my items have been damaged inside.  I pack oversize, AT LEAST 2 inches all the way around, use foam/bubble/paper.  YES, packages COMING to me have been damaged/broken, because of less than great packaging by the seller.

Safest container to ship glass?  A big coffee can (now mostly plastic, the old metal ones are/were perfect.)  Then put it in an outer box with foam/peanuts/paper around the can.

@ R (OP) - With Priority and Retail Ground costing about the same price, is there really any reason to use Ground? I think the ''competition'' for USPS ground is UPS ground. Both trucked, too many handling/opportunities for damage to be inflicted. I ALWAYS prefer Priority - over long distances it's flown; lots less opportunity for damage.

@JohnGermaine - AGREED!  DeJoy is not good! They should have promoted from within taking someone who KNOWS the postal service (and preferably started near the bottom, so s/he understands everything, from customer service on.  (Too much like eBay - they have no clue what it really is/means to users, just like politicians who are remotely, totally unfamiliar with the ''real world'')

@Mazdaman - Yes there IS a ''huge landfill-type place'' filled with lost items - it's where USPS collects them before selling them at auction. Last I heard was St. Louis but maybe that's changed.

@CT Bay - yes, you need to pack stuff like pottery bath fixtures beyond what it comes in. Doing a remodel, we went through TWO brand new tanks and toilets in original boxes - got them home, unwrapped and BROKEN! Returned, got unbroken ones. Guess it's cheaper for the company to just write off broken, than take the time/expense to pack well enough to protect them.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 4 22:57:54 2022

Dead letter, lost and unclaimed pkgs go to the Mail Recovery Center (MRC) in Atlanta.  You can Google it.

The USPS is eliminating ‘ground’ and FC pigs.  See ECB article 7/13 this year.

Two rules of thumb for packing.  If it shakes, it breaks.  And ‘shocks’ to the box can be transferred direct to objects inside if they are wrapped TOO tight without duff that is somewhat shock absorbent.

Carriers don’t typically break boxes, they show up that way from the mail stream.

And talk about your oversized/heavy.  AMZ routinely hands off oversized and overweight boxes.  Dang right the carriers have had enough of it….