Sun July 3 2022 09:48:36

Amazon Penalizes Seller over Juneteenth Postal Holiday

By: Reader

A little fun fact I recently discovered. Amazon does not recognize Juneteeth as a Federal Holiday.

I had a recent conversation with a customer service person regarding Seller Performance on Amazon. I currently have a warning on my account due to late shipments. However, I don't have any late shipments.

What they are counting as late shipments are due to the Juneteeth Federal holiday celebrated on June 19th. Amazon currently does not recognize this as a Federal Holiday for 2022 and per their schedule of holidays they aren't planning to for 2023. They told me maybe in 2024 but it hasn't been decided yet.

So, I was advised to ship my sales by the 18th so they can get scanned or take the hit for late shipments.

Can they even do this. Recognize all the other Federal Holidays except for this one? What does that say about Amazon?
Marie

Note from the Editor: See the EcommerceBytes Blog for more information on Amazon's handling of the Juneteenth holiday.

Perminate Link for Amazon Penalizes Seller over Juneteenth Postal Hol   Amazon Penalizes Seller over Juneteenth Postal Hol

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Jul 3 16:38:48 2022

It's rather funny that Amazon wants you to mail on a day the post office is closed. I remember last year that almost no one recognized the holiday because we were given only a few days' notice that it was now a Federal holiday. But Amazon, as well as everyone else, has had a year to program it in.

I know people like holidays to fall on Monday so they can get a three-day weekend, but it's tough for online sellers who have to wait three days to ship. This is the third time recently that I've had a stack of packages that I have to wait until Tuesday to mail. I hate the 4th of July anyway because of all the illegal fireworks going off all around me.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 3 23:58:37 2022

“ It is not convenient. And it it’s not fair. If I were to hold back half a crown from your pay for it, you’d think yourself ill-used, I’ll be bound. But you don’t think me ill-used when I pay for a day’s wages for no work.”

Dicken’s words of fiction, in his “Christmas Carol” from near two centuries ago.  Scrooge’s reply when asked by Bob Cratchit to ‘recognize’ a holiday is the corporate disdain of it’s time.

Though nothing legislates (sorry Marie) any recognition of a ‘holiday’, or whatever the motivation for it, nobody will weep at a ‘corporate’ funeral either, should the shadows showing things that will result from such ‘disdain’, come to pass.

by: lalaland This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 4 00:41:40 2022

etsy handled my 3 orders the same way.  Dinged for late shipping.

by: Gumball This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 4 00:59:53 2022

I think it says Amazon's department that programs Holidays is not in the US and does not use an American calendar.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jul 4 02:36:17 2022

@Gumball

You can see the calendar under your Shipping setting.

by: Supplierofcrafts This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 4 05:46:04 2022

@lalaland, Etsy doesn't recognize any holiday.  You have to extend your shipping time on orders that fall on a holiday.  At least we aren't dinged for extending shipping times, though.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 4 11:30:42 2022

eBay did the same thing to me (and I'm sure everyone else in the same situation) - I have 1-day handling time (it works for me) and my Seller Hub was demanding my items sold on Saturday after the post office closed had to be mailed by close of business on Monday, June 20th - except the post office wasn't open on the day they were recognizing Juneteenth.

by: soniadelaunay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 4 13:57:25 2022

I live in a city with an airport post office which is open every day except for federal holidays.  Over Juneteenth, it was closed both the Sunday (actual date) AND the Monday (observed date).  So no way whatsoever to ship from Saturday night to Tuesday morning.

by: fusgeyer This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 4 16:20:30 2022

Here's a thought - use UPS or FedEx instead of USPS. Both ship on most federal holidays. I basically stopped using USPS for anything other than letters. They do not properly process address changes, they destroy a large amount of shipments because the carriers will attempt to shove anything into a box, including items marked do not bend or fold and/or fragile items.

Another option is to either adjust your shipping times or ship a day or two early.
A third option is to use a shipping service outside of the marketplaces - like ShipStation. You can print the labels that day or the night before, send confirmation to the marketplace, and drop the items at the post office (even if it is closed).

If you are purchasing postage at the Post Office, you are being robbed. Use any online service or the marketplace. The rates are much better than counter rates.

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 4 17:07:37 2022

I sometimes wonder if there are people whithing eBay, Amazon, Etsy and other s whose sole job it is to simply make sellers' tasks that much more difficult.

You know, that person who might otherwise be referred to as the "cactus" of the company.

It seems like each outfit has handled holidays different, making a seller's existence on multiple sites just that much more of a PITA.

by: fusgeyer This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 4 17:32:10 2022

It actually baffles me that this is a conversation. If you use a shipping service outside of the marketplace (like PriateShip which is free or ShipStation which is not) then you can print the labels even when the post office is closed and send that info to the marketplace, where it is immediately marked as shipped. If you are printing through the marketplace or at the counter, you are not getting the best rates. Use a shipping service.

USPS allows for 48 hours from the time of the printing of the label for you to get the item to the post office. You can print on Saturday and drop your package off on Monday or print on Sunday for Tuesday, etc. UPS and FedEx have similar time frames. Once you print a label, notify the marketplace and you have met your time lines. This does not apply to guaranteed express delivery services. Just standard shipping.