Sun June 12 2022 10:08:55

eBay Won't Credit Fees for Ghost Listings

By: Reader

I've been getting sales for items already sold for the last month or so. eBay charges me 30 cents per cancelation no matter whose fault. Am I the only one?
G.

Follow-up: Just got hit with another one. It was sold March 5, 2022. eBay states it was listed June 1, 2022. I found out because a buyer wanted to make an offer. Looked it up in my inventory and not found. Found it in my sold Excel file and also in Tereapeak.

At least it was caught before I got hit again. It's bad enough that I have been blessed by eBay to only sell 3 items per day since sometime in the fall. When I question that they said they would look into it. Nothing.

Perminate Link for eBay Won't Credit Fees for Ghost Listings   eBay Won't Credit Fees for Ghost Listings

by: elcheapoposters This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 12 10:38:57 2022

This happened to me years ago... you get a surprise order for something that sold months ago... not on auto relist... just voodoo makes it live again. Ebay has always had sketchy tech.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 12 11:28:54 2022

Just a  suggestion - change your password!  Almost certainly this is an eBay created tech glitch, but it could be possible that a hacker has somehow been able to get into your ended listings and relist them .  They "look" like yours but the payments go to the hacker.  Probably this isn't happening, but it's not impossible -- you can pinpoint the problem by making sure your account is secure.

by: Alfacar This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 12 18:36:27 2022

I found they delisted items without notifying. I found items in storage that were once listed and apparently Ebay ended my listings (all are till sold). I recently was revising listing and it turned out that they created ghost at the same time (one before revision and one after). Every year I keep getting some isolated sales of items that were sold before.

by: Mazdaman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 13 00:43:07 2022

We've had two similar experiences in the last two months.  Both items "sold", but they;d previously SOLD OUT, so nothing was left, and the listing ended.  We've not set these to stay visible or anything like that, so it was a surprise to see these "re-sold" again.  We had the notifications from the previous LAST sales that ended the listings, including the page we saved showing 0 (Zero) items remaining.

Calling eBay "support" is like trying to teach an iguana calculus, and we no longer wish to spend the time on things that are broken in eBay, other than copying the action and the code from the problem for our own use.  Ebay has so many problems now that they're being overrun with tech requests, so what's the point?

But it does seem to be an issue.

by: Bubbles This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 13 00:50:39 2022

This has been happening for a number of years - even worse if you get a neg FB for not supplying the item. eBay do nothing about it and it is a waste of time with CS.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 13 01:05:26 2022

eBay has always had a problem with counting, which is rather a pity, for that's the way computers work with files.
Your product numbers will equate with a positional number in a list of products from 0 to n.
FIFO searches count differently to LIFO searches and files should be accessed record by record with locking occurring between the accesses.
I suspect our listings are all held in one file with indexes denoting their standing ie current or expired (0 or 1).
If a count is performed incorrectly, or record manipulations occur concurrently, a listing that was 1 (expired) can be activated simply by re-indexing it as 0 (current) and vice a versa - a simple bit flip.
These are just a couple of a multitude of ways files can be corrupted.
I think it all just comes down to sloppy programming but we will never get eBay to admit that or do anything about it as it would cost them $'s.

by: christy s This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 13 01:53:30 2022

So true, kazaly.. their code has always been broken in more way than one.  It has happened to me so many times.  That is the one thing I worry about if I go big with 1000+ listings to watch after.  Customer service is important to me.  Definitely do not like to upset someone over a stupid glitch.  Explaining Ebay glitches to customers takes so much time as well.  The glitch I hate the most is the shipping ones.  I put in media and it changes to first class or vice versa some time later.  It makes me look bad when it says media for an item not media.  The customer messages me about how "wrong" I am to send it media when I never selected it in the first place.. sigh.  I think it's mostly because the phone isn't seamlessly integrated with laptop coding.  I use phone to take pics and save as draft then finish the listing on laptop.. somehow things may get messed up in the switching back and forth?

by: Dragonfyree This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 13 05:22:45 2022

Like others say, this has been going on for years.

Ebay always says it's not them, but you accidentally uploaded something in your store

No use arguing with them, they will never admit it's their issue.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 13 08:20:47 2022

I've read about this for years...I just got a "like" on a Reebox T-shirt that was sold months ago. I'm a small seller so I knew it had been sold--and it had. Luckily for me, the person only liked it--and didn't buy it.

by: fleeky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 13 11:49:06 2022

It happens to be several times a year on Etsy, too.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Mon Jun 13 15:49:01 2022

The ghost listings have been occurring on eBay for many years.   I get a few per year.