Thu May 19 2022 09:11:41

How Can eBay Listings Show Watchers but No Views?

By: Reader

eBay has apparently changed how it counts listing views, claiming that it no longer counts bots and non-humans in its calculations. That's fine: I am all in favor of improving the accuracy of these kinds of metrics.

However, with this new method, I am wondering how one of my listings can show no views but have someone watching it. I mean, don't you have to click on a listing (one view) to be able to watch it? What am I missing?
J.

Perminate Link for How Can eBay Listings Show Watchers but No Views?   How Can eBay Listings Show Watchers but No Views?

by: BobNJ This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 19 10:19:08 2022

It's easy to watch something without opening the listing. There's a heart icon in the item summary listings for each item that you can click before even opening the actual listing

This user has validated their user name. by: Carl

Thu May 19 10:21:36 2022

Either one of these things has happened
1) You have not had any listing views on the item this month (it now resets), but the person watched the listing last month.
2) While searching for an item, the person clicked the love heart icon to the right footer of the listing on the search page. It doesn't count as a click through visit so the counter will not increase.

This user has validated their user name. by: Carl

Thu May 19 10:22:23 2022

BobNJ is a quicker typist than me :-)

by: BackOff This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 19 13:06:12 2022

I’ve noticed this for years, but it’s more obvious now that ebay changed the way they count page views. I have one item with 0 views and 3 watchers, another with 0 views and 2 watchers and so on.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 20 01:11:45 2022

J.

Could the Watcher on the listing have been there BEFORE Ebay changed how they calculate the Views?  That sounds like the likely reason.

For me I don't pay much attention with View Numbers.  Ebay has always had accuracy issues with these numbers.  Sometimes I look at them but I certainly don't base any decisions on them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon May 23 01:27:45 2022

BobNJ for the win!!

I hit that heart icon to put it on my Watch List, check it out more thoroughly later.  Probably kick out 2/3 of what I put on the list, but it's a way to quickly gather prospective purchases, narrow down later.

by: Bob V2 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 23 12:15:33 2022

I don't pay much attention to the number of views.  Just because someone looks at my listing doesn't mean they're interested in buying it.  They can be looking for all kinds of reasons.  I've just never found it to be a particularly useful number.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 24 13:13:30 2022

Historically epic eBay data inaccuracies aside, one really needs to worry when NObody is watching it.  Or can see it.