Sat Apr 16 2022 20:40:42

Extra Work Is Required for UPS Savings to Pay Off

By: Reader

I wanted to write about a recurring situation I have had regarding UPS shipping using Shipstation. I like Shipstation for the most part and the fees one gets to use the UPS by Shipstation are a big savings.

The issue I have had on random shipments is that UPS will charge an adjustment to the original charge quoted at Shipstation. This shows up on Stamps.com as an adjustment as that is where all transactions for Shipstation appear charged.

I am 100% accurate on the weight and size and know my measurements are accurate as they are mostly always the same sizes.

On a few occasions I have had UPS double the original cost as an adjustment after the fact. I have taken to taking a photo of the item on the scale and with measurement before it ships as this I have found is the only way to prove the overcharge. I was told to do this by Shipstation. It's a lot of extra work.

On a few occasions I have been credited for the mistake, but lately Shipstation is not very good at responding to these issues and I have to go thru Shipstation to get resolution.

I am wondering if others are having the same problem?
Regards,
eBay seller since 1999

Perminate Link for Extra Work Is Required for UPS Savings to Pay Off   Extra Work Is Required for UPS Savings to Pay Off

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Sat Apr 16 22:26:33 2022

I pay for postage in-person to avoid any possible overage claim after the package is out of my possession.  That way I don't need to enter into any type of agreement and they cannot charge me a penny more after the fact.  I know the rates are higher that way, but there is no cap on the overage they can charge, so the way I look at it, the cost of printing labels online is potentially infinite.

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 17 15:05:04 2022

I have had this happen twice on Pirate Ship.  I KNOW my weights and measurements are accurate.  In fact, I will always error on the side of caution...if I am super close to the next size or weight I will use the higher number.

Wonder why this happens.  I would like to believe it is an honest error and not something else ;)

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 17 23:17:17 2022

I am not a frequent user of UPS.  I've noticed that when I do drop something off at the UPS store, the agent sometimes keys in a weight substantially higher than my actual package weight.  I've never bothered to challenge him - only because I've never seen a surcharge afterwards.  Based on the experiences posted by others here, next time this happens, I will challenge the agent.

by: toyspast This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 01:25:24 2022

I don't use Shipstation, but I've only had this happen once using eBay labels. FedEx on the other hand hit me with additional charges 2 out of 2 times so I'll not use them ever again until they stop with the bait and switch. The second time I used them, I added more dimensions to the box and double-checked at the counter that the weight was below what I stated and still got hit with additional charges.

by: Gumball This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 02:45:55 2022

I too will not use Fedex because of the bait and switch they use. I tried them when Ebay started using them and everything worked fine. Then they added a surchage to a package four weeks after the fact. Never will spend a dime with them again. I think all the sellers who get hit with these after the fact and hidden charges needs to file complaint with the FTC because FEDEX is in violation of both California and Federal Law. Bait and switch is frequently used to describe a range of commercial behaviors for deception under section 5 of the Federal Trade Commission Act (FTC Act).  Cal. Code Regs. Tit. 4, ยง 1304.1 - Bait and Switch Advertising. If everyone would file complaints we might get this one fixed.

by: MichaelP This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 03:29:36 2022

It's a sort of odd coincidence that the OP wrote Ina about this, as I was wanting to do the same but was busy with my taxes this weekend.

While I was working in GoDaddy Bookkeeping early Saturday, my heart sank when I discovered a number of "Postpaid Shipping label fees," 10 of which occured last month. Half of those 10 turned out to be labels that I had in fact printed myself. The other five, though, were charges by UPS and FedEx presumably for weight or dimension discrepancies. Up until recently, I have had only occasional problems with this, although I didn't know it until now.

I've always been very careful about not understating the shipping weight or dimensions. I lost $54.60 in total, which more than wiped out all my profits for all of the involved transactions. As the OP stated, it looks like they are charging a fee that equals the original cost of my label, or about that. I feel that that these fees are not fair, and that I'm getting ripped off.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Apr 18 09:59:15 2022

My horror story was some years ago with UPS - sending a package to Canada. I phoned UPS and confirmed the charges, but then my customer was socked with a "fee" when he picked up the package.  (Not duty or customs or taxes.)  It turned out that UPS (and I imagine others) charge a "service fee" for what amounts to an agent carrying the package across the border and handing it to an agent in the other country.  The UPS rep I asked about charges NEVER mentioned this -- but I will NEVER use them again for this type of shipment.

I have used Stamps.com and now ShipStation but I take my packages to a local store operating as a UPS shipper where the dimensions and weight get calculated a second time and confirmed. So far no problem.  But I wouldn't put it past them to slip in something - knowing how people detest the "residential fee" "fuel charge" etc.

by: MichaelP This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 20 05:34:14 2022

I wanted to follow up what I wrote above, which was incorrect. After looking into this further, I shipped 12 total shipments via Fedex and UPS this year and had only one significant fee of $4.06 which UPS assessed for an undersized package. The reason this fee was assessed was not marked anywhere in eBay and I had to call UPS for clarification. I think FedEx/UPS/eBay need to do a better job with transparency regarding these fees.

Of the other 11 shipments, 5 remained their exact original price from when I created the shipment, and the remaining 6 all had insignificant increases of 18 cents each on average.

I had a lot difficulty in trying to determine what I was actually paying largely because there is no one place to look to find what I originally paid and if and what the label price changed to. I had to piece it together looking on multiple different pages, and so believed that I was getting charged about double for some of these shipments when in fact I wasn't. Ongoing glitches on 2 separate pages on eBay ("Track and manage your shipments" and "Manage shipping labels") where I was unable to see labels that I had printed in the recent past also led me to believe that I had been charged 5 penalty fees this year.

by: BurglePork This user has validated their user name.

Tue Apr 26 12:11:17 2022

Railady, I had the exact same experience many years ago. My customer was very upset, and I had to reimburse her, wiping out most of my profit. I frankly don't think FedEx and UPS even want private business, and that their contacts with businesses are more profitable and easier to handle.

I always use PirateShip for UPS labels, but I see here that it happens there, as well!