Tue Nov 15 2022 19:39:51

Reader Says eBay Change May Deter Buyer Feedback

By: Reader

I just noticed today the Purchase History page no longer shows whether you've left feedback to the seller or if the seller has left feedback for the buyer.

After opening a purchase, I'll leave feedback. Then I'll keep that item on the purchase page until the seller has left feedback. Once both feedbacks are done, I'll remove that item off the page.

Now there's no way to keep track of this unless you sort through your feedback page - very inefficient. It was completely unnecessary to make this change.

This will also discourage your buyers to leave what little feedback they leave as well.
Don

Perminate Link for Reader Says eBay Change May Deter Buyer Feedback   Reader Says eBay Change May Deter Buyer Feedback

by: Vigilant Eye On eBay This user has validated their user name.

Tue Nov 15 21:12:36 2022

It's been this way for quite some time now.

As it is not in the buyer's interest to leave positive feedback for sellers unless seller feedback is received, given the sheer amount of items that I regularly buy on eBay, buyer feedback is no longer left unless a seller has taken the time to thank me for my order(s) by leaving feedback for me.

When I previously sold products on eBay, buyer feedback history was also checked before any feedback was left.

Given that I regularly make repeat purchases from the same sellers, the aforementioned feedback check is often not necessary as the best long-time eBay sellers understand it is in their best interest to leave positive feedback for buyers.

Solely found on venues, rather than normal ecommerce sites (i.e., where product reviews are typically found), buyer and seller feedback is a left over relic from the previous century.

by: GetAGrip This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 05:54:09 2022

They should get rid of the useless feedback. Its so easy to get it removed.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Nov 16 09:16:09 2022

When you can’t say anything negative (cuz, you know, it’s a ‘built-in feature’), but you can’t say anything positive (cuz, like, it wasn’t), then what you CAN say is nothing.

Which can say all that’s needed, if read right.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Nov 16 10:31:04 2022

My purchase history page looks the same as it has for years!

I can clearly see if I left feedback or the seller left feedback.

Are you in the US?

The symbols are a "pen" with a yellow star next to it and a "letter" with a yellow star on it.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Nov 16 17:19:36 2022

Don (the OP) writes: "I like to keep track of whether a seller has left feedback or not so I can send a reminder (for a guaranteed positive feedback)."

I think everyone knows a buyer can't get anything other than positive feedback, so I'd never worry if a seller left feedback for me or not.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 17 00:09:35 2022

I leave auto feedback when the buyer pays.  I don't care if the transaction goes south or if the buyer ever leaves feedback.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 17 01:46:48 2022

Ah......I remember the days when I used to actually sit around stressing out about feedback on ebay.  You know.......the good ol' Donohoe days (ugh).  I used to tie myself in knots worrying about it.  Which is funny when I think about how back when I first started selling on ebay I looked SO FORWARD to getting and leaving feedback.  Then "he" came along and weaponized it and ............well the rest is history.
I'm coming up on 15,000 feedback and have been at 100% for years (knock on wood).  I think I might look at my ebay feedback MAYBE once a year.  It honestly just doesn't mean anything anymore.
I can't believe there are still people out there who sit there and keep up with whether a seller leaves feedback or not.  WHY?  ALL BUYERS have 100%.  It's not even POSSIBLE for a buyer to have anything less than 100%.  A seller could care LESS how "many" feedbacks a buyer has.  If anything........all they ever look at (IF THEY EVEN BOTHER to look) is what kind of feedback a buyer leaves for their sellers just to see if they're going to be a problem buyer).

by: Plain1 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 17 02:31:42 2022

If you have enough sales, then you don't have the time to view all feedback, I wouldn't worry about it. However good feedback is always good to have.

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Thu Nov 17 10:44:08 2022

@Vigilant Eye, we are just the opposite. After so many years of Buyers just not taking the time to leave feedback, even for a perfect transaction, we just set up a reciprocal arrangement.

All of our  shipments have an ''in package'' Thank You note, asking for a 5 Star rating (if it applies) and saying that all positive feedback will be returned, in kind.
Then we check our feedback received and answer all of them that are sent.

As some one said, after a certain point (10,000+ ? feedbacks) it really doesn't matter, people understand that this is a business and not a fly by night operation. I do miss the simplicity of the ''white pen'' logo, that Toolguy talked about, but that has been gone (yes, I'm in the US of A) for a couple years now.

We DO make exceptions for the very high dollar purchaser, but that is just solid logic.

by: Vigilant Eye On eBay This user has validated their user name.

Fri Nov 18 07:32:07 2022

@toyman,

Re: ''After so many years of Buyers just not taking the time to leave feedback, even for a perfect transaction, we just set up a reciprocal arrangement.''

While in complete agreement with you on this, in my humble opinion, the lack of buyer feedback on eBay is more likely a result of infrequent venue purchases.

If buyers primarily consummate their purchases on ecommerce sites, rather than venues, they may not be accustomed to leaving seller feedback.

Which is why I stated that ''With this being said, knowing that some sellers have automated reciprocal feedback settings in place, I often take the time to check on a seller's feedback left history.''

Whether it be automated, or manually left after feedback has been received from buyers, the aforementioned policy is in place to accommodate sellers such as yourself.

As long as a seller regularly leaves feedback for their buyers, that is good enough for me.