Thu Jan 6 2022 10:55:00

Longstanding eBay Media Mail Glitch Costs Sellers in Shipping

By: Reader

I do not know if you and your subscribers are aware of what is happening on eBay regarding shipping items by media mail. In the summer, I received an e-mail from eBay stating that eBay would be monitoring items that were listed for shipment using media rate and would disallow items that the USPS does not allow to be shipped using this method.

The next day, I received another e-mail from eBay informing me to disregard the previous e-mail as eBay would not be doing that at the present time. Apparently, that was not true.

I recently sold computer software and listed the item indicating that the item would be shipped by media mail. When I tried to print the shipping label on eBay, I was unable to select media mail. My only choices were first class and priority mail.

Below the option for media mail was the message: "Items in this category are not eligible for media mail." Next to this message was a clickable link that stated "Find out more" which brought you to the USPS website. Once there, it listed all of the items which can be shipped by media mail which included computer software.

I contacted eBay regarding this issue and was informed by the customer service agent that I could print out my label for media mail using the USPS website but not on eBay because eBay does not allow media shipping for the computer software category.

I then asked to speak to a supervisor who basically told me the same thing. He informed me that the only categories that eBay allows media shipping are Books and Magazines and Movies and DVDs and that had I listed my item in one of those categories I would have been able to select media mail.

I informed the supervisor that computer software can be shipped by media mail and asked that he refer my complaint to the proper department so that this can be corrected. I told him that if I list software in a book or movie category, people who search by category would not be able to find my item. I also told him that it now takes me more time to print my label at the USPS website because I now have to input the shipping information.

This took a lot of my time on the telephone trying to straighten this matter out. It is very frustrating that it is still not really resolved.
P.

Note from the Editor: There have been numerous reports of eBay allowing sellers to select USPS Media Mail as an option, collecting that rate from buyers, but not allowing sellers to select it when shipping. In July, an eBay moderator wrote, "there is a known issue that is causing Media Mail to be grayed out in some valid categories. We're working to resolve this. Thanks!" We're not aware of any update since.

Perminate Link for Longstanding eBay Media Mail Glitch Costs Sellers   Longstanding eBay Media Mail Glitch Costs Sellers

by: Opalie This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 6 12:08:16 2022

Then ebay should remove the option of Media Mail from magazines as these are definitely 'not eligible' for Media Mail rates.

As usual ebay has taken the cheapest approach and banned the use of Media Mail by category instead of item type, and even then they got it wrong.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 6 13:32:50 2022

you get caught using media mail for magazines, be prepared to be upcharged to priority mail.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 6 15:09:10 2022

“ In July, an eBay moderator wrote, "there is a known issue that is causing Media Mail to be grayed out in some valid categories. We're working to resolve this.””

If anybody has any illusions of how ‘responsive’ eBay is to those who would sell there, and who pays their bloated salaries for the privilege, this should help clarify things.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jan 9 02:07:12 2022

I've been pretty involved in this problem directly with the shipping team as there are all kinds of issues regarding this.

What actually happened was about 10 months or so ago USPS notified Ebay they needed to clean up their shipping label system as they were allowing Media Mail to be used in categories it should have never been allowed in.

So the shipping teams response to this was to go in and correct / block MM by the main categories.  That was their first try.  Then a bunch of sellers said WHAT THE HECK.  I know I submitted a list of SUB categories they completely overlooked that are FINE for MM and I was confident there were others.

In the past 10 months they did a couple or more updates adding more sub categories as they go, however they have never hit any of one on my list.  Then before Christmas I really got upset and finally someone got back to me to tell me the next update would be in February.

OMG that is almost a FULL YEAR since they screwed this all up.  They assured me that all the categories I submitted to them would be added as they agreed they should.  But I'm certainly not going to hold my breath.

I've been doing my shipping through www.paypal/shipnow.com

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jan 9 02:09:14 2022

Whoops, I really overstated this.

"I've been pretty involved in this problem directly with the shipping team..."  The word "pretty" should not be there.  I've been in contact directly with the shipping team, however it is not some special access or anything that happens often.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jan 9 02:12:23 2022

Another thing.  Back in the beginning when this was starting, the CSRs on the threads were NOT aware that USPS had contacted Ebay or asked them to fix what categories should have access to MM.  It was weeks after that before they found out.  So it went far beyond some accidental issues.

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 10 10:26:08 2022

There are lots of other options to print Media Mail.  Just enter the tracking number and you are done with those bozos.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 10 13:22:13 2022

last week listed a book in the collectible/disney/vintage/books category. The category on eBay is for Disney books pre-1968. When I submitted it I got message I can not select media rate for this category as media is for books only. The actual category is listed as Disney - Books????????

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 10 13:23:18 2022

also got same thing when tried listed sheet music. Not eligible for media rate. The USPS DSM lists sheet music as perfectly fine for media rate

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 10 14:21:26 2022

I suggest that each and every one of you that have a category that SHOULD be available for MM send an email to the shipping department at Ebay in the hopes that it gets corrected on the next update to this issue next month.  Otherwise it may be missed yet again and it could be months before it is fixed for you.

ebayshippingteam@ebay.com

by: Overthere This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 10 14:43:28 2022

I have the same problem with the hardcover craft books I sell. ebay  tells me they don;t qualify for media mail. When I first started selling them, I contacted the local postmaster and he verified that they fell under the definition of instructional materials. I just use pirate ship now, whenever I ship media mail.