Mon Sept 20 2021 07:50:56

Let Buyers Filter Out Relists in eBay Search Results?

By: Reader

As an active buyer and seller on eBay since the days of AuctionWeb, I've never been more disappointed with eBay as I am now. As far as I’m concerned, eBay is ruined. What makes this so tragic is the fact that there is an easy fix for the number one most serious problem. For a buyer, that problem is the free re-lists.

It was bad enough when sellers had 50 free listings each month. Now with 250 free listings, it's a nightmare! Sellers keep relisting the same stale items month after month, year after year. The vast majority of these items are either over-priced, or not interesting enough to find a buyer, and never sell.

There are exceptions. Sometimes, for rare and expensive collectibles or antiques, it may take ten or twenty tries to find the right buyer.

In the meantime, the buyers are going crazy trying to wade through the thousands and thousands of listings that they have already seen countless times.

Searching on eBay every week is like the movie Groundhog Day! When I do my weekly keyword searches (stretched out across every day of my week), or search through a sub-category, I'm very careful to look at everything. If I don't bid or buy the first time I see an item, there's little to no chance that I will ever bid or buy it. So, forcing me to see the same items over and over is not only ruining my experience, it's keeping me from having the time to sell items on eBay, and I have thousands of items that I should be listing.

I'm a passionate collector first; any time left over from searching is when I list. I don't list anymore. It's gotten so bad that I don't have the time to run 80% of my bookmarked searches anymore.

The solution is simple. When a seller re-lists, that listing should be tagged with code as a re-list. Then we buyers should be able to click on a checkbox to exclude re-lists from our searches.

Some will say, the sellers will just change the title of the item. Let them; most won't bother. Right now, it's way too easy for sellers to re-list 250 items each month without cost.

For a serious collector, searching on eBay is ruined, and most who were very active ten or twenty years ago have quit searching eBay. They just walked away.
Richard

Perminate Link for Let Buyers Filter Out Relists in eBay Search Resul   Let Buyers Filter Out Relists in eBay Search Resul

by: AddyUp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 20 11:46:05 2021

There are a few other things that I would like to filter out in the search.

Multi Listings - For that price I want an ink cartridge not half a dozen sheets of printer paper.

UK registered sellers only - I don't want the surprise of extra added VAT because often the seller is registered in China but just happens to have a warehouse here which still doesn't rule out a long wait as the item ends up coming from China anyway.

by: 1st Armored Div. 1971-1973 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 20 15:34:59 2021

So a seller takes down a item to spiff it up and check keywords in the title to make sure they are the best ones available and then relists it and you do not want to see it.

I do it all the time.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 21 00:19:03 2021

Yeesh.  You must have a conniption going into a B&M and realizing that  MOST of the items on the shelves have been there for…weeks if not months, unsold…

by: HappyOne This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 21 08:17:04 2021

I agree with “Reader” the forced Good Until Canceled has loaded Ebay with stale collectible merchandise. As a buyer/collector if I go to a B&M - be it an antique shop, consignment shop or thrift shop several times and see the same stuff all the time I go elsewhere. If I want new I do not waste time on Ebay looking thru refurbished and opened box at same or higher price than new in store or on Amazon.
I collect certain items and have specific three word searches saved. Daily I get Ebay emails of repeated items (listed for years) that are completely unrelated to my search. Items maybe included because of only one word. Yet if I do a manual search or use Google with same three word search I find what I was looking for was sold on Ebay.
As a seller I am guilty of listing and forgetting. Now with 1,000 free listings I no longer tinker with price, description/title or pictures when an item’s 30 day listing ends. When I only had 250 free listing to fill I did give items a rest - now seasonal items are listed year round. Sometimes one of these longtailed items will sell; while I am spending my time listing new items that do sell first time out.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Sep 22 09:12:18 2021

What is "stale" to some some is fresh to others!

I say NO to hiding any listings for any reason.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 00:51:57 2021

I agree with @toolguy.  eBay forced me into ''Good Until Canceled'' and I went with the flow.  Turns out it is a good thing.  I can focus on fresh listings.  Yet, I am always surprised when a two year old listing sells out of the blue, usually to a new customer that I haven't had before.  I'm no longer struggling manage my free listings.  I have a basic store and never run out of listings.  And, my sales are roughly double what they were a year ago.  Please, eBay, do not give the buyers a way to see only fresh listings.

by: Jester This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 06:56:53 2021

I agree with the OP. As a seller I list new items daily. I also markdown stale items to to move them out of my inventory. I often also bundle items that did not sell the first time or take better photos and or spruce up listings if its worth my time and I discard or donate items that don't sell.

I do also get sales from items I have had in my inventory for years a couple of times a week. But I want buyers to find my new items. There should be a manual filter for sophisticated buyers who are looking for specific fresh items often. Most buyers will not use it even if they know about it because most are not looking for the same type of items every time they shop on eBay. Nor are they on eBay everyday. IMHO it is narrow minded to not have such a tool to get the customer to the items they want and will purchase.

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 07:28:58 2021

Offering choices is never a bad thing. The more filters the better.... as long as they work!

by: Actual Seller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 08:51:43 2021

Who "searches eBay every week"?
I wonder how many hours they waste doing this?
Set up your saved search and get out of here.

No hiding my overpriced crap.
I will keep it on eBay for 15 years if I have to.

by: MeAgain This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 09:32:17 2021

Sorry, this may serve YOU in some way, but not the majority of sellers or buyers - so, learn how to search better. There are new buyers everyday, that never saw the items that may have been listed for years, and they find something they like and buy it. Having multiple items with all types of search terms helps with cross-selling - they click in to look at one thing, then buy another item from that seller. AND, it's none of your or anyone else's business if I want to auto-relist, end my items and then relist, or end my items and 'sell similar'.

And, if you think viewing 'stale' items is bad now, Ebay just started the 'pay-per-click' promotional option for sellers, which will keep fewer, but more persistent, 'stale' items at the top of the lists, even above promoted listings. We have done a quick test the last few days and, just like FB and Google, the PPC/ads cost FAR exceeds any profits you make on the sales they generate. We ended our test pretty quickly.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 10:47:38 2021

This post is exactly right. STALE Listings are a major drag on eBay in my opinion. Another important thing related is the fact all listings are now Good Until Cancelled. There is no justifiable reason eBay took away my ability to list for 30 days only. So I now have to manually check every day and end the listings myself which is tedious, time consuming, prone to errors if I forget and I end up ending the listings at least 12 hours early as who can sit by their computer at the very last minute to end them. It is the single most hated thing eBay has ever done in my time on here which is now over 23 years.

by: Calling You Out This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 15:18:48 2021

Do a search and filter by NEWLY LISTED. Seems pretty simple to me.
Anyway, there are new buyers coming to ebay everyday. About 5% of my daily sales are what appear, by looking at their feedback numbers, from new users.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Thu Sep 23 16:38:00 2021

Does the OP complain to the grocery market that the canned beans have dust on their tops and for them to be removed from the store?

I doubt it.

by: christy s This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 23 16:38:50 2021

Seriously!! Just do a search and filter by NEWLY LISTED as another stated... jeezzz.. is ebay the only hobby you got?  LOL

by: alaska This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 26 23:46:13 2021

NEWLY LISTED includes all of the newly listed re-lists. It doesn't help one avoid any of the re-listed items. All that newly listed does is sort by the latest listed items, as opposed to viewing ''ending soonest'' or ''best match.''