Mon Sept 13 2021 12:20:37

Seller Says Her Buyer Has Her Hand in the Cookie Jar

By: Reader

Dear Ina.
I’m sure this issue has been raised but I want to ask.

How does a seller protect themselves from bad buyers? I have a buyer I sold a very nice cookie jar.

She complained she paid too much and the lid doesn't fit right. With purpose she did not have the lid seated correctly. When I realized this, I let her know if you move it slightly to the right it will fit.

Then she writes and demands I give her half of her money back?

We work hard to provide excellent service and they can destroy your scores by falsifying issues, lost sales and more. Any suggestions?
M.

Perminate Link for Seller Says Her Buyer Has Her Hand in the Cookie J   Seller Says Her Buyer Has Her Hand in the Cookie J

by: Michael in BC This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 13:51:30 2021

The buyer knows she's got you.  If you cave in, she gets 1/2 her money back.  If you hold fast, she files a SNAD, and gets all her money back, and possibly keeps the jar.  If there was even half of 1% of a chance that eBay would rule in your favor, then she'd initiate a credit card claim, and get all her money back. In any scenario, she can leave negative feedback (''just her opinion'', and there's no recourse or any other kind of support from eBay..  This is just one of the reasons I now list about 5-10% of what I used to, on eBay.

There are Facebook sites where members share info on how to ''get stuff for free'' on eBay.  Many still think that eBay takes the hit, not the seller.

Are there any cookie jar ''niche site'' on which you can list ?

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Sep 13 15:43:02 2021

Does her first name start with a W and rhyme with Sendy ?
I've concluded there are TONS of bored know it alls out there that take pleasure in torturing us. They need mental help.
Just give her back the money and Block her. Block her on Etsy, and Ebay and block her from your payment gateway (if you have your own website).
We need a way to Sue these morons.

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 15:46:52 2021

Common scam on eBay. "Cost of doing business" is what the cold-hearted jerks will tell you.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Sep 13 16:22:46 2021

@M. (the OP) - Have you checked this group?

>Here's
a place that buys collector cookie jars:

BR>
Here's
a site selling cookie jars:

Yo
u
can probably find other places by doing a search for selling cookie jars online.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 16:25:54 2021

@MIchael in BC

I have always had one response to a request for a lower price than what was paid, "Please return for a complete refund."  I know that I am in a different market than you and that might very well be the reason for this, but I have yet to have any item returned when they were just trying for a partial credit.

Surprisingly, I never had a scammer try to do a chargeback, but I also basically stopped selling on Ebay over 3 years ago.  Officially I completely stopped once again when they decided that I needed to join their latest theft scheme Mangled Payments.  I spent 10+ years in the Credit Card industry and understand most of the tricks that can be played to get their finger on the scale and increase their revenues without the seller ever knowing it.  I refuse to use a company that knowingly and blatantly will not accept their fiduciary responsibility of assisting their Sellers in fighting Chargebacks.

That would cost them money where ignoring this responsibility also adds to their bottom line, $20 at a time.  I still believe that by doing this, Ebay is setting themselves up for a very large class action lawsuit despite their TOS stating that arbitration must be used.  I am not a lawyer but do believe that if this lawsuit got presented that it would get accepted based on all of the dealings I have had with  lawyers regarding these types of issues in the past.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 17:48:47 2021

@OP

Just reply return for refund

Usually the partial fishers will just go away

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 21:09:53 2021

FYI: you can't block buyers on Etsy, as one of the responses suggested, which if you've ever really sold there you would know.

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 22:11:22 2021

I get a lot of jerks like this. I DO NOT DO PARTIAL REFUNDS. THERE ARE ONLY 100% REFUNDS AFTER RETRN. NO EXCEPTIONS!

And yes I had a buyer send me 12 messages just the other day, complaining, and complaining, and complaining more. It's simple if you dont like it that much, your not going to use it, so return it. If you are not willing to return it for a refund then too bad.

Left me a neg, and another neg on another item he purchased after he found out I blocked him and went on a tirade. Thats the way it goes, if I get a neg I get a neg. I am not letting them get over on me. If it's legitimate then there should be no reason why they wouldnt be willing to return it.

by: BackOff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 13 23:20:25 2021

Don’t give in. These are the worst buyers along with dead-beat bidders. This reminds me of a reseller in Michigan I had problems with.  I sold a small lot of brochures and vintage national park booklets to him. The entire lot was for about $35 plus shipping. Two of the 15 items could be easily resold for the full sale amount. When he received them, he complained about a nearly invisible toning issue on two pieces and asked me for a partial refund. I told him I don’t do partial refunds and offered a full refund after return of items. He didn’t want to return them because he knew he got a great deal from me (“it’s petty extortion” were my exact words to him) Things got pretty heated in back and forth messages and he threatened me by saying he was going to send a certified letter to ebay. He left a negative and lied in the feedback. Eventually I got ebay to remove the neg feedback after pointing out the threats he made about leaving negative feedback if he “didn’t get a refund”. He never got a refund from me and was quickly blocked.

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 14 03:46:16 2021

@hopeforthebest

You can block people on etsy.
When you check on a persons profile, there is a button to click on the bottom of that page saying "Block this person"
Of course you will have to be logged on to do so.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 14 13:56:58 2021

LMAO

"its a nothing-burger !" (cause it hasnt happened to me!)(and eBay hasnt addressed it in a year).

SERIOUSLY though - the posters above have it exactly right - "thank you for your purchase. We are sorry that you are not satisfied with your item, therefore please pack it back up as received, ship it back and we will refund you"

Theres no winning (as described above) because most ecommerce platforms believe its YOUR responsibility to make buyers happy at any cost.

eBay calls it "taking on for the team" ... aka Managed Payments - aka "do it OR ELSEWE STEAL YOUR MONEY" (CA mafioso's).

Reality has nothing to do with selling (that's why alot of sane (read smart accomplished sellers) have left eBay/Etsy because the requirements of selling on those platforms are unrealistic.

As long as the platforms force you to use their payment methods and then play judge jury and executioner with your funds - you cant ever win.

The "GAME" is rigged against you the seller ... thats been eBay/Etsys game since day 1 !

The shipping loss is better then a total loss - and if received back in the same condition - you can always resell it and try to get a few $ more back on shipping the next time.

Being its LMAO a "nothing burger" that never happens - a similar issue just happened to me with a buyer who transshipped a watch to Ecuador. He swears its broken (though shows a pic of it still wrapped and new) and REFUSES to ship it back ... yet I should send him "another new one" to some address in Miami.

"Sir, Im sorry your watch broke on its trip to Ecuador. As per eBay rules, for us to replace or refund you money, you must return the item to us in the same condition it was received in (boxes, packaging, accessories). Once it arrives here, we will inspect it and if it is complete as sent we will GLADLY refund you without question".

So far I havent heard from him yet - but you never know - I may get the honor and have to pay $20 to win a chargeback ......

by: cheeky This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 14 16:08:16 2021

@postbuster you can block a user from messaging you on Etsy, however, that will not keep them from purchasing from you. If they order from you, you are able to cancel the sale on Etsy without it being an issue with Etsy regarding metrics of any sort.

by: postbuster This user has validated their user name.

Tue Sep 14 18:58:25 2021

@cheeky

Really?  Seems misleading by etsy.
I shouldn't be surprised.

My last cancellation resulted in etsy charging the sales tax to my bank from the lost revenue. (Buyer requested)
That pissed me off.
I closed my shop anyway.  So now they can piss off.

Thanks for the info.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Sep 15 13:54:07 2021

My favorite attempted scam is the gal who contacted me ten months after the sale to say she never received her item and asked for her money back. Luckily, she had left me positive feedback about how quickly she received her item. When I pointed that out to her I never heard from her again. She must have been new to scamming, because the beginning of her email mentioned she was a student nurse and needed all the money she could get.

by: CBW This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 16 00:51:47 2021

I'd just let them know that you report them and all that assist them for mail fraud if they state any false information against you and if there is anything truly wrong with the item then send it back for a refund.

Ebay's arbitration is really only for civil court type negotiations. It does not protect them from being being criminally charged if they do anything illegal.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 16 06:13:04 2021

OP, tell the buyer to send the cookie jar back to you and you will refund her.  Sometimes that shuts them up.  I've done it many times on Amz, esp. for heavy items.  And the buyer just keeps it and goes away.

by: all in the family This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 16 12:17:19 2021

Here's what I've done: "I'm sorry the item didn't work out for you, but of course refunds are always an option! Just send the item back in original condition and packing (if possible). Once I receive it, your order will be completely refunded that day."
One reason that "free" shipping works here is that the buyer knows they have to pay to send back, but technically, they can't complain that they didn't get their original shipping back. I've seen a buyer leave someone a review that they contacted the shop and were told they could return the item, but would have to pay for shipping, and wouldn't get their original shipping back. Those were the policies of the shop and clearly stated. I know the shop owner, the item and the shipping costs. And read the review. Clearly an angry individual trying to get out of their lack of due diligence at the very least; at the worst, disgruntled buyer hoping for a free item.

by: I_Fix_Dolls This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 16 13:12:32 2021

On Etsy there is no "Block" like on Ebay the "Block" on Etsy is useless, stops them from being able to "Follow" you.
On Etsy I only refund if item is significantly different than described, and they have to return it in the same condition I sent it. I do not Refund Digital files. I make my own, so if they find I flaw I fix it.
The only way to survive is NOT to care if the venue gives you a "Gold Star" like you got in Kindergarten. (On Etsy it is purple.) And a willingness to sell on whatever venue that will take you. Google will find you no matter where you sell.

by: skl3255 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 16 17:17:21 2021

I sell cookie jars so I know what it costs when the seller has to pay the return shipping on one of these. Do not give in to her demands.   Your buyer has indicated that they are happy enough to keep the cookie jar and unlikely to actually return it for a full refund. She knew the price when she purchased it, and possibly does this same thing to other sellers.  I wouldn't worry about the one buyer who leaves a negative either.  Sellers do have an opportunity to respond to a buyer's comment as well. The only way to deal with buyers that attempt the partial refund scams is to tell them I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your purchase.  Please return for a refund.  Do not respond to any other messages as no other dialog is necessary.  If this buyer leaves a negative you can always comment that the buyer was offered a full refund upon return and declined.

by: fusgeyer This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 17 14:57:01 2021

I agree with the other sellers who say to ask the customer to return the item for a full refund. A simple, "Sorry that you are not happy with your purchase. Please return the item to me in its original condition and with the original packaging. Once the item is returned, I will issue a full refund. "