Tue July 20 2021 12:19:35

Seller Feels eBay Misleads on Media Mail Option

By: Reader

eBay this week has changed the option to ship by media mail in more categories in the stamps category. Categories (US collections, lots), and (Albums and Supplies) up to this week were able to ship by media mail.

The real kicker is eBay allows you to select media mail when you list, takes payment from the buyer for media mail, and they take their cut, but when it comes time to print a label the option is grayed out. This seems to be very misleading and probably illegal for any company to do.

Obvious workaround is go someplace else to print the label, but if eBay does not want you using media mail for a specific category, the option should not be available when you list an item.
Dan

Perminate Link for Seller Feels eBay Misleads on Media Mail Option   Seller Feels eBay Misleads on Media Mail Option

by: ValueAddedResource This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 20 13:22:36 2021

One of the eBay employees in the community confirmed this is a known issue.

"There is a known issue that is causing Media Mail to be grayed out in some valid categories. We're working to resolve this."

by: OnlyPollyPocket This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 20 15:23:52 2021

"We're working to resolve this."

Ebay:  Always working to resolve but never resolving.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Tue Jul 20 16:36:53 2021

I don't understand how anyone can be shipping stamps via media mail. They certainly don't qualify according to usps.com.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Tue Jul 20 17:18:22 2021

Ya, Media Mail.
It's the scam we're forced to subsidize.
NO MORE MEDIA MAIL.
ELIMINATE MEDIA MAIL !

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 20 18:20:56 2021

stamps can not be sent media mail..if you been shipping that way you got away with it.
usps says: Media Mail is for shipping media items containing books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs and DVDs).

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 20 18:22:27 2021

by: DTSM This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jul 20 19:44:38 2021

For those that normally don't sell in the stamps category it may be confusing, but in the stamp world there are many books that contain stamps. These books qualify for media mail. But it is correct single stamps and many other stamp items would not qualify.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 21 09:21:26 2021

“… the option should not be available…”

Actually, in a more perfected venue, all ‘options’ for everything should always be ‘available’. For who is eBay - or anybody else - to be dictating such? Especially when, regardless to any association to category, they can’t keep it working. In fact, much of their shipping ‘assistance’ lacks even rudimentary reliability if past and present history could speak.

And that’s just one arena…

Then again, given such freedom to run one’s own eAffairs, it would also be expected that a seller would be both knowledgeable enough, and ethical enough, not to make an inappropriate selection whether or not it was appropriately or not, grayed out.

Alas, reality. eBay should get it ‘right’, if they chose to wrest control. Then enforce it. But they won’t. That would take investment in their business, which is not in their ‘vision’.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jul 21 12:57:07 2021

As a seller of books, I certainly am happy media mail exists.  The rules state that the items may be inspected, so if the post office did more of that and started hitting sellers with the upcharge (to priority), the abuse of the shipping method would stop very quickly.  It's tough for me to sell a lot of magazines when I compete against those that abuse the system and use media mail, but I certainly am glad the option exists as I use it regularly.  (in response to the comment by The End above).  Let's have the post office enforce the rules, and then we are all happy.  Well except the scammers of course.  And the buyers who try to tell you the media mail rules so they can save a dollar on shipping.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 00:14:45 2021

Related...I sell golf clubs. My shipping cartons are all over 36", which is noted on the listing form prior to posting.
I check off the Priority Mail International option for international buyers.
So what's the CHOSEN option I see when I go to print a label?
eBay International Standard Delivery...which has a length limit of 27"...27"...27"
So glad I'm winding down after 20 years...

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 22 01:58:40 2021

Ebay in an effort to clean up what categories are OK for shipping via MM, as usual didn't look at it close enough.  Nothing new here.  Happens all the time.  This is one of those times when their mistake creates nothing but work for sellers.

Instead of just hitting categories that clearly can't have anything qualify for MM, the ventured into other categories that have some sub categories that absolutely use MM, but it appears Ebay blocked the entire category.

Stamps was a good example.  Looking at the main category one might easily determine, well nothing in this category could possibly qualify for MM.  But with a closer look at the sub categories there is most certainly some sub categories that could legitimately use MM.

There are several other categories that this lack of attention to detail has caused issues for and it is a mess to be sure.  All these people had to do was their homework and actually research what they were about to do.  But that of course is asking too much I guess as here we are yet again.

by: ZZ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 07:32:14 2021

Send books that contain stamps Media Mail? Think you got them on a technicality? What kind, an immoral technicality? How about coin dealers send their coins stuck inside a cheap paperback?
What did the buyer pay for, a stamp or a book?
BTW, my Post Office has always let you put your packages in a  huge bin when you get inside. They tell me they fill up about 10 bins every day, so there's no way they can scan them before they are put on trucks. They "would have to hire 3 or 4 more people just to scan them."
Let's say a bin holds 100 packages times 10 = 1000 items to scan. I think I could scan 1 every 6 seconds easily. That's 10 per minute and 600 per hour = less than 2 hours of scanning. So I'm calling BS on that.

Next they showed me how to use their postage kiosk in the lobby. You can scan a label you bought elsewhere and put it in that bin (which are small and fill up quickly, then lock themselves). This is insane. Someone can buy insurance at home, pay for and print a label, scan it at the machine, walk away, and file an insurance claim. In the meantime, a package I left in the big bin inside never got scanned, disappeared,  and I can't file a claim because they refuse to acknowledge they ever received it.

by: FH991586 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 08:35:10 2021

Re: ZZ

You really don't know much about stamps if you don't know that there are books legally containing stamps inside of them as a collector item.  Not just an ordinary book with stamps put between the pages to circumvent postal rules, but actual books with a ISBN that aren't available without the stamps included inside.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 09:21:19 2021

I have known this for years. I end up changing the category to books but if some of the buyers use category search for items I get screwed. Just another wonderful glitch. For years I defended eBay but not any more. They are as bad as Comcast and if you knew how I feel about Comcast you'd know my disgust is genuine

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 11:10:20 2021

I gave up using eBay to create shipping labels years ago. I kept getting "system not available" messages and finally just went elsewhere.

Just thoughts - maybe splitting hairs - re: the word "stamps" do they mean valid ones that can be used to mail items, or collectible used stamps, that having been used/postmarked they can't be used to mail anything and are simply collector items. (Or are both kinds not allowed?)

Same with "advertising" - does the ban on "advertising" apply to contemporary ads for stores that exist?  Or are antique magazines that contain advertising by stores that are long out of business not allowed in media mail ?  (Or both situations)   I think I could make a pretty good argument for a 1920 National Geographic, in which I would bet every single store ad is no longer valid.

by: ZZ This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jul 22 11:21:58 2021

RE:FH991586
True I don't know anything about stamps. Are the books with ISBN numbers originally sold without the stamps, or with the stamps?
If the stamps are to be added later, I would say adding stamps increases the value of the book and only empty books should be allowed as media mail.
I do know a bit about magazines. Did you know that a magazine with an advertisement in it, no matter how obsolute the item being advertised is, cannot legally be sent media mail?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 22 13:59:47 2021

@ZZ

I ship from home.  I rarely go to the PO.  My carrier scans everything before she leaves my driveway.

But times when I do need to go to the PO and I drop off mail in the bins, I've never had a problem for them to get scanned.  Your local PO is wrong, it is something they are suppose to be doing.  Their excuses don't matter nor does it excuse not doing it.

Yes there are books with ISBNs on them about stamps.  There are books on most any subject.  I'm unsure as to why you keep saying stuff about adding stamps.  No one is endorsing shipping stamps themselves via MM.  But books that can use that method of shipment.

Magazines are not the same as books.  Magazines are not eligible for MM.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Jul 22 14:02:31 2021

@spooky

The problem with changing your books you carry in categories other than the main Books category is that you pay more FVFs in the Books category.

This is why the sub categories of other types of things on Ebay that are actually set up for books is a better way to go for sellers.  There are lower fees.

The Books category is the highest FVF category.