Sat June 19 2021 10:08:12

eBay Seller Shocked by Change in Fee Collection Practices

By: Reader

I've been with eBay UK managed payments for around 9 months now. Today I was expecting my daily payment but didn't get one as eBay have taken my shop subscription out of my managed payments balance. Up until now that had always been paid by direct debit at the end of the month.

Not only was I surprised by this, but also the Managed Payments person I spoke to said that it was news to him!

Conditions for me are tough right now, so taking almost 500 GBP out of my account 2 weeks earlier than expected is very unhelpful.

Was there any advanced notification of that that I missed?
Andrew

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Shocked by Change in Fee Collection Pr   eBay Seller Shocked by Change in Fee Collection Pr

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sat Jun 19 14:36:09 2021

Andrew,
If you're selling something unique that will draw visitors on its own,
Make your own website.
If your selling stuff a million other people are selling, find something different.
Ebay and Etsy have been poisoned.
ABANDON these poison venues.
Set up your own shop now.
You'll be drawing customers by Christmas.
It is very important you kick yourself out of the nest and fly on your own.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Jun 20 02:52:18 2021

Andrew,

Getting incorrect or incomplete information by calling Ebay's help lines is nothing new.  It happens far too frequently.

Now I can't speak to the UK, for for the USA we were notified that they were starting this process.  For us it was announced in the 2021 Spring Seller Update that came out in March.  It stated that in late March they would start using MP to pay for fees we use to pay for via our Monthly Seller Invoice.

It is likely this was announced for the UK too, you just may have missed it.

This is something that has been rather well received in the US.  Unlike other parts of the MP program!!

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Jun 20 15:56:42 2021

No Marie, it has NOT been "Well Received".

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Sun Jun 20 16:00:08 2021

Ebay is a Dinosaur with 4 broken ankles.
Think > Seabusciut.
CHOOT IT !

by: airbrake This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 20 16:59:46 2021

I vote that I did not well receive this new feature. Going through your charges now is a nightmare but of course bootlickers have to tow-the-line. I encourage everyone who is happy or not happy with this new trick at Ebay to voice your opinion here on the comments section attached to this letter. Maybe, Ina, it's time for Ecommerce Bytes to start doing their own polls to determine what is real when such nonsense about who likes what about Ebay is pretended to be the truth.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 21 00:24:47 2021

The changes were clear to me although it caused me to create yet another spreadsheet to track all of these charges when they happen.  I could trust eBay to do it correctly, but why start now.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 21 01:36:54 2021

@TheEnd
I'm confident some do not like it.  There is rarely a change of any kind that makes everyone happy for one reason or another.

@airbrake
These fees are not combined with others, you can tell that they are not FVFs but a store fee.  They are labeled.  And the downloadable detailed reports is OK to use.  I personally find too much useless info in this report for my liking, but I just hide or delete the info I don't care to use.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Jun 21 02:23:58 2021

This UK seller likely ''missed the memo'', as happens to all of us from time to time.  If there was no announcement at all, and NO ONE heard about it, this blog would be rife with this type of complaint.  If one in thousands is taken by surprise, I suspect it is the ONE who let it slip by.  Cr@p happens if you aren't all over the announcements proactively, reviewing them constantly in case you missed something.

Does it really matter WHERE or HOW they take the monthly vig, as long as you know what the plan is?  Left pocket, right pocket, all the same.  Just be aware of which pocket and when you should be expecting an unwelcome hand to make the money grab.

by: candsgadgets This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 21 03:01:27 2021

YES! It absolutely matters! I have been trying to determine how much and when eBay will take from my account balance. When I look through "All Transactions" in the MP tab, there is no fee or charge listed for the monthly subscription fees! At the top of the Payments tab eBay states "We’ve stopped sending monthly invoices. Instead, fees are deducted from your available funds. To see all your fees, go to All transactions" but I can't find any entry showing the monthly subscription fee. I did notice that eBay waited until June to withhold April's fees and even though it was their fault, they added a late payment charge. In addition,  eBay pays themselves around the 8th of each month even though the subscription fees are not due until the last day of the month. "Just a venue....."  The only time eBay should be helping themselves to our money is when the bill becomes past due.

by: cvsharkey This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 21 06:31:15 2021

Etsy & PayPal are doing the same.

by: Denny This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 21 11:28:36 2021

Well received? I left E-bay after 17 years.

by: MIscetal This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 21 11:47:13 2021

These changes are a drag I don't need in this hot fraught summer.

I'm a bit stale, since online shopping became so difficult with all the new promotions between me and the item I want to buy.

Where else other than eBay is there to sell vintage?  Is Bonanza still a Bust?  Is there a Build Your Own E-Commerce Website for Dummies somewhere????

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 21 11:57:07 2021

I think the vast majority of sellers see this as unfavorable. Yes there is the convenience factor of not having to worry about paying a single, large invoice. But to me, I was happy with the small advantage that was provided. The points that I picked up paying my fees every month with a credit card was $10-$12 a month.

True, the other sites do the same and one wonders why eBay didn't do it years earlier. That just shows you how negligent management has been, and remains.

The problem with eBay is that all of the benefits are going one way. Our profits get chiseled away, and the site is not performing well. They continue to lose market share, traffic is falling to levels so low I can't recall. It is barely worth the effort anymore. You can sell on other sites and do well. If other sites aren't a good fit for your product, then employment might be the answer. In California and many other states, minimum wage is $15+ an hour. I don't think eBay can generate a net profit of much more than that on a consistent basis on its own. Amazon is advertising jobs stuffing boxes for $20 an hour. They have at least 3 warehouses within 30 miles of me. The work stinks, but a 20 year old isn't going to bother taking up selling on eBay with those numbers. That is what I would be worried about if I was in charge. As established sellers run off, who is replacing them?

These little take aways from sellers causes each one to do a quick analysis of viability every time. I will bet, every time, more run off.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Mon Jun 21 13:57:23 2021

@Mlscetal - Try eCrater. I have been selling there since 2008 and more than happy with the volume of sales. A store is free, and the best part is you set your own rules; no one is micromanaging your shop or charging you outrageous fees. And if you state no returns, it means no returns.

by: MIscetal This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 21 14:25:44 2021

Thanks, JackSparrow - I'll have a look. It's time for me to eliminate an over-abundance of collectibles - and the outdoor markets near me seem to have gone over to socks and Trump memorabilia.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End

Mon Jun 21 18:54:03 2021

Dear Marie,
Nothing you Cheer For is worth putting up with.
CHOOT Ebay in the head, Remove Etsy from the eCommerce landscape.
Folks, the day "Marie" is speechless, is the day EVERYONE is making Nice / Great profit.
As long as "Marie" keeps showing up, it is NOT worth your time to sell on Ebay OR Etsy.
"Marie" can never know the Exhilarating experience of having a successful, standalone website.
Ebay is a dinosaur with FOUR broken ankles.
CHOOT IT !

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Jun 21 19:07:48 2021

@candsgadgets
EBay has always billed the monthly Store Subscription fee in advance, NOT at the end of the month.  It was billed differently than the other fees.

If you got an invoice for your February activity, it included an amount for your March store subscription.  Since it's always the same amount, it's easy to lose track of which month is being billed.  But in 20+ years on eBay, it has always been in advance, always promptly billed, never missed.

If they charged you for your February invoice on March 8, you got all February services paid in arrears, and paid the March store fee during the period, on day 8 instead of before the period.  Seems more than fair.  But if you think you were paying your store fees in arrears before, it would not seem fair.  But you would be wrong, so there's that.

Here's a link to the page: https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/run-your-store/subscriptions-and-
fees.html

Third
question down in FAQ:
''How and when am I charged for my eBay Stores subscription?

Eligible sellers may subscribe to an eBay Store at any time during the year. The subscription fee will appear on your monthly invoice.

The first month of your subscription is prorated based on your sign up date. For example, if you sign up on April 27th and you’re billed on the 1st of every month, you will be charged for the remaining 4 days in April (27, 28, 29, and 30) plus the month of May on May 1st. ''

''the month of May on May 1st'' indicates that you are paying in advance, not the end of the month.

I don't know about your account, by my entry for Store Subscription is clearly denoted as such in MP under Recent Transactions.  And it's in RED instead of black, with a minus sign in front of it.  Not sure what else they could do to point it out.

by: Davina T This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 21 19:59:19 2021

I am glad I left. There is no way I will allow them to keep bending me over ready for action !  Gone are my kitchen table, down home transactions. Money went straight into my Pay Pal account when ebay was still relatively sane. The highway man says "give stuff to charity, and enjoy what's left of your aging life."

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Tue Jun 22 03:12:27 2021

@the end

Except I don't "cheer" for this kind of stuff.  There is such a difference from stating a fact about something and cheering for something.  I know that sometimes we feel very passionately about something and we don't allow facts to get in the way of a good rant, I've been there and done that.  So I understand it.

@lightening

My Seller invoice was always issued on the 16th of each month.  Now that I'm in MP my Store fee is coming out of my MP account for the next month as you have so nicely described and they are pulling from my MP account on the 16th.

This user has validated their user name. by: The End