Sat May 8 2021 08:25:55

Seller: eBay Ads Result in Higher Costs with No Sales Bump

By: Reader

Also, I recently ended a 2 year Promoted Listings campaign that I had been adding new listings to as I uploaded new items. What I did was just subdivide the listings into 3 distinct, new campaigns.

But what I've noticed is that very, VERY few of my sales are organic anymore, nearly all of them being due to promotions. However, while I should be glad that Promoted Listings is seemingly working, I don't believe it is, because I haven't gotten more sales, just more of my sales are making even more money for eBay through Promoted Listings. Does that make sense?

The truth is my TRS/Power Seller status means nothing. If I don't also promote my listings, I'll get lost in the sauce.

And have you heard anything else about ToucanDeal since the last time you reported on them?
Sincerely,
David

Perminate Link for Seller: eBay Ads Result in Higher Costs with No Sa   Seller: eBay Ads Result in Higher Costs with No Sa

by: ValueAddedResource This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 8 10:43:17 2021

The TRS+ Promoted Listings credit was ''retired'' as part of the Spring Seller Update.

Several sellers have reported recently they are seeing their own Promoted Listings showing up in their stores - which is something that had not been seen previously and may be part of a test.

If eBay is now showing the promoted version of a listing within the sellers own store, that could cause buyers who are browsing the store and would have bought any way from the organic version to be buying from the promoted one instead - increasing the percentage of promoted sales without necessarily increasing over all sales significantly.

Here's one community post for example:

by: poor_ebayer This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 9 10:39:48 2021

I had promoted listings on all listings for 2 months. My total sales number has not increased, but for most sales i had to pay extra fee to ebay as it stated "sold via promoted listings". Even offers to which i've sent counter offer, if accepted was sold as promoted. Cancelled all promotions, sales stayed the same, but lower monthly bill. Make my sale and i'll pay you final value fee, it's good enough chunk on it's own to help me to sell or at least not to prevent my sales from happening.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 9 11:29:24 2021

I have found that actually my sales are steady but the number of items sold via promoted listings has gone down as time goes on- it was over half a couple of years ago, now it's 20 percent or so. I sell oddball paper and magazines if that's any gauge.  Another seller with whom I am friends has noticed the same thing (his product mix is magazines and toys).

by: JohnGermaine This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 00:18:23 2021

I have never participated in this scam. Why in the world would I pay someone extra for a job they should already be doing???

by: Plain1 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 00:26:01 2021

I am very careful with promoted listings, if I do happen to promote a listing, I make sure there is an end time and NOT ongoing without my permission.
Frankly why should I pay anyone, including ebay to promote a listing?
Does it not hehoove ebay to help us sell our items? After all ebay makes money on our sales, that should be enough. Let's not be greedy ebay, as you have a track record of doing that in the past.
I could go on in more detail about what ebay is capable of, as far as sales go, but I won't.
I will also say that sellers can self promote listings in many ways and without cost, but it is up to you as a seller to find out how. Do your research.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Mon May 10 00:48:20 2021

Lowering prices by a few percentage points every month or so seems to work better. Promoted or not, some items will never sell unless the price or acceptable best offer amount is reduced.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 01:21:42 2021

Nobody should be paying eBay any more than the most basic rate they can manage or they will be throwing their money away.
The OP has spotted what should be obvious to all who have studied their sales for any length of time or run similar experiments; eBay manipulate sales to return the best dollar margins for eBay whilst ensuring individual sellers get enough carrots to keep them paying fees.
Everything changed with the introduction of Cassini which instigated unheard of levels of micro-control and manipulation.
The fact that Hugh Williams, the lead developer, left eBay before launch of the abomination was unheard of and caused alarm bells to sound for me.
It's now impossible to grow a business on eBay in the way we were used to, by providing good product in a timely manner with great customer service.
These days, once you've reached your predetermined share of sales in your category no amount of effort will improve your bottom line.
eBay have given up trying to build market share and are simply gouging as much as they can from the market we maintain for them.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon May 10 01:31:29 2021

OP asks ''Has eBay quietly done away with Top Rated Seller benefits, specifically, the 10% credit per sale as a TRS? I have not been receiving it for 2 months.''

I know that I have been receiving the 10% credit for TRS.  I'm on MP, not sure if the OP is.  On MP, you get it on the fly, as each transaction posts, not in a lump sum.  Here's a screenshot of the fees for a purchase.

55561_o.png

The
lower left shows the credit, in this case 53 cents.  I paid a total of 11.2% on the transaction.  If you factor out the 2.9% and 30 cents for processing, my non-processing FVF is $3.41, which nets out at 7.6%.  That's just to be able to compare it to the pre-MP rates, if that's any help.  That also includes the reduced fee for having a Premium store.  All the numbers are there in the image if you want to check them out.  Shipping was in the price, no sales tax involved.

You can go to your dashboard via Seller Hub to see if you are qualifying for the extra 10% off, at the bottom of this page:

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 04:05:44 2021

Once you are in you can't go back. I refuse to be wrestled into a promotion in order to sell more than someone who is paying to get more exposure.

I will not be mugged by a company who used to go on about how eBay is a level playing field. You never hear that line anymore because so many sellers ran blindly into the sheep dip.

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 04:16:10 2021

by: Simi MIke This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 06:46:26 2021

We sell car parts, new & used, and had about 1/3 ( ~250 ) of our items on Promoted Listings for a couple of years. Only items that had a lot of competition. In the beginning, it seemed to be working on some items as their sales # went up over time.
Around the end of last year, I noticed more & more items being sold via Promoted Listings. Then I started noticing more items sold via Promoted Listings where the buyer had asked questions about before the purchase & I sent them the item # they were looking for.  My thought was they must have contacted us through a Promoted Listed item. Then when a couple of items showed up as sold via Promoted listings that I knew weren't I canceled every Promoted Listing we had. That was Jan. 2021. At the time we were averaging in the mid-5 digits for monthly sales. Since canceling PL our sales shot up to within a couple thousand of $100k a month.
My takeaway is that once eBay took the organic display away when a PL was shown it affected sales. Maybe buyers don't always trust a listing stamped Promoted or Sponsored & go on down the list looking.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 07:53:58 2021

^^
THIS.
I find my (clothing) listings in Google Search anyway, whether its Poshmark, Merc or Ebay.

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 09:00:00 2021

I been using Promoted sales for the last year, with very GOOD results. I suspect what you sell is the most important consideration to solving Promoted sales increases. Stay away from mass produced items. Don

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon May 10 12:04:43 2021

@Jono ''Why all the the hoop jumping just for a few crumbs? TRS is worthless and has been for years. Saving 10% on fees (much of which is postage cost and by rights should never incur a fee) is a pitiful saving.''

You won't save much if you are not doing much business.  I have saved over $200 some months, which I think is quite substantial.  I'm sure there are sellers who make even that amount look small.  I'm betting they would like to keep that savings mechanism in place.

If eBay RAISED fees by 10%, the whole forum would be going crazy on them.  Funny how the same amount in the other direction is ''worthless''.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 13:21:44 2021

I agree with Simi Mike. I think the Promoted Listings have been problematic going back to when they stopped showing the organic listing for an item when the promoted listing of the same item would appear. I think in the end all the Promoted Listings are just canabalizing the Organic Listings. In other words there is no real effect on sales one way or the other.

I promote all of my listings at 2% across the board. Sales overall are even, no increase. More or less half of sales are promoted. At best, Promoted keeps me even. BUT, my margins are thinner with net income decreasing every year for the last 5. That's what a decrease in overall traffic gets you.

Funny how eBay has all of these schemes to help ''drive traffic to your items, buyers love this, blah, blah, blah'', yet not ONE has resulted in an increase in top line sales to date. But if you drop them all, which I have done, your sales will fall off of a cliff.

by: ValueAddedResource This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 20:55:40 2021

Someone from the eBay ads team has confirmed that showing Promoted Listings in a seller's own store was an "intermittent bug."

They say it has been resolved and they are "working to understand if there were any fees incurred as a result of this issue and will make any corrections as needed."

by: Toledo Maude This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 11 18:59:58 2021

A gazillion years ago on eBay, I was paying extra bucks for those money making (for eBay) add on's that did not increase my sales.

Last year I closed my eBay store of a decade and half.  Save lots of store fees.   Sales stayed much the same.

Last month due to a deadline for managed payments, I cancelled all my eBay listings.  And I find that each morning when I still check eBay for overnight sales, no change.  No sales, can you believe that?

by: MissDidi This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 11 22:52:28 2021

I just got the notification that the PowerSeller program is being retired, so yeah, that one definitely doesn't matter, not that it has in any substantial way for a long time.

But hey, they want to offer you some recognition by letting you download a certificate and fill it in yourself.

It's like engraving your own participation trophy.  Write whatever you want.

by: Valaset This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 12 14:49:56 2021

Promoted Listings - as others have stated in this thread - is not for everyone.  I use it specifically when the item I am selling is in a category with a lot of competition.

So if I am selling an iphone 8...there are thousands of them.  I might use it there (assuming I have the extra margin to promote it).

But if I am selling something with only a handful of other listings that are the same, I would not promote it.  I would just set the lowest listed price and wait for it to sell.