Thu May 6 2021 09:25:47

eBay Stops Seller from Blocking Bidder Who Retracted Bid

By: Reader

Just found out at eBay if a Buyer bids your item and then retracts the bid, meaning they no longer are involved in the auction, they backed-out, and you then block them, eBay allows them to re-bid the item they retracted their bid on, even though the Buyers ID is on the Seller's Blocked Bidder List before they re-bid.

eBay informed me Buyer is only blocked from bidding on future items and can re-bid the auction or item they backed-out of.

In addition, the Blocking Email Contact from Blocked Bidders still does not function and eBay has no intention of making the function a working function as, according to the U.S. CS Rep., this would upset Buyers.

No Seller protection from eBay anymore - and eBay has practically lied, in writing, promising Seller protection which never came to pass.
James

Perminate Link for eBay Stops Seller from Blocking Bidder Who Retract   eBay Stops Seller from Blocking Bidder Who Retract

by: AddyUp This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 6 14:30:36 2021

I'm not sure half the supposed blocks work.
I know one that doesn't. "Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower"

I had a buyer with a feedback score of -2. It all went well though probably because it's irrelevant as that score would only apply to a seller nowadays as buyers are now only +plus and "wonderful".

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 6 20:25:49 2021

Is this really a big deal? I've retracted bids and then re-bid because I put the wrong amount in. I would never actually take time out my day as a seller to block someone for this.....

by: aris 2 This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 7 07:24:16 2021

I agree with mjr55. I think the OP should re-think his/her reasons for blocking.
I don't think it's a big deal for someone to change their mind (or make a mistake like mjr55 said) or maybe decide they really can't afford it.
I've never done it, but to each his own.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 7 11:47:40 2021

There are buyers who would use an unlimited ability to retract bids as a tool to discover a current high bid, for many reasons. eBay is supposed to have a mechanism in place to sanction buyers who do this more than x times in y period. Never known that to be enforced of course, so there’s that.

In days gone by, a buyer who boo boo’d would take the time to message the seller with an explanation. Sometimes it would even match the reason they have to input to make the retraction, but point is, even if eBay messaging worked as advertised, lack of civility is no longer a sure indicator of lack of pure intent. So there’s that, too.

Even if it’s true though, that the OP’s desire may be mis-motivated, the certain lack of eBay enforcement up front, their interference in the middle, and their certain abandonment of the caboose of this supply chain train when this ‘buyer’ turns out to be, say, irresponsible at the least, justifies seller paranoia these days.

Won’t help the functionality work to support or protect the seller unfortunately. eBay’s metrics spinning wheel is hungry for any threads of commerce operations it can get.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon May 10 01:02:45 2021

If a buyer makes a seemingly legit error, retracts, and bids the correct amount, then it's probably a no harm no foul event.  Not worthy of blocking.  If there was malicious intent, to expose the high bid of a competing bidder for example, that is a different story.  It may be hard to tell the difference, though.

I believe you can cancel a buyer's bid.  So when they re-bid, you can just remove it.  Might be tough to keep up with them, especially in the last minutes of the auction.  People have asked me (quite a while ago), to cancel bids for them, and I think I remember doing it.  I also remember telling some that they can cancel it themselves, so I'm not sure on that point.  Maybe someone has more recent experience canceling a buyer's bid and will let us know.

by: ox-mix This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 01:08:35 2021

I once had a buyer retract his bid. He didn't re-enter a bid, and I checked how many times he had retracted a bid in the last 12 months - 296 times. So I blocked him. Most of the time someone retracts a bid they don't re-enter a new one, so I block them, unless they're a regular buyer.

by: Slaney This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 02:32:34 2021

I've been trying to tell people this for years.  It's the same if the buyer is sending offers. That "starts a transaction".  I got screwed out of $150 be cause of this

by: Jono77 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 03:53:17 2021

I'm a seller myself but I wish there was a way to block myself from buying from the same useless sellers a second time but eBay don't allow buyers to block sellers for some reason.

Buyers can open a number of eBay accounts so blocking them is never going to stop them from bidding or buying from you,

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 07:54:50 2021

^^
THIS.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 10 10:37:28 2021

I always block bidders that retract. For one thing - bidders are supposed to pick a valid reason to retract but in my 23 years on eBay I find everyone of them 100% lies about the reason