Tue Jan 12 2021 14:10:39

Seller Pays Extra to Ship UPS as USPS Delays Remain Unresolved

By: Reader

Has anyone else noticed that USPS is now posting "In Transit, Arriving Late. Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility" on shipments delayed in transit?

This message seems to be automatically updated daily. Doesn't tell us where it is in the system (like one shipment I have bouncing back and forth like a ping pong ball between two distribution centers). Will this ever end?

It has cost me many hundreds of dollars in additional shipping costs (as I have switched to UPS) and marketplace forced refunds.
Jim

Perminate Link for Seller Pays Extra to Ship UPS as USPS Delays Remai   Seller Pays Extra to Ship UPS as USPS Delays Remai

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Wed Jan 13 23:43:10 2021

The impact of slow deliveries is problematic.
I've used USPS exclusively since this all began (Priority & 1st Class) and have not lost a single package, or had a non-understanding complaint.
I've forewarned of slow deliveries and given follow-up on overly delayed shipments.
People ARE understanding. Granted, I sell golf items worth $9 to $79, and delivery
anxiety can cut across socio-economic lines both ways, but at THIS POINT in the process, more people are more understanding.
Spending needlessly more to ship is just paranoia...

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 14 05:07:07 2021

I have a package that was shipped Dec. 26 and still "in transit" as of January 2.  I've filed 3 missing mail reports and 2 OIG reports.  I just filed an insurance claim report for "lost" package.  The customer hasn't requested a refund, and seems to be understanding -- but I'm not.  This ONE package is lost and/or still in transit.  I have a feeling the USPO has damaged the package or lost it.  If my lost claim goes through and I'm reimbursed I will refund the buyer.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 14 05:07:59 2021

Oh, and I too am shipping more and more through UPS.  And UPS is very good about reimbursing for damaged goods.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 14 09:46:00 2021

I have always preferred USPS, always had superb service. No missing/lost packages in hundreds of items I have mailed since starting on eBay in 1998. A couple of damage cases, but readily refunded.

December was a ''perfect storm'' for the post office and we are still feeling ripple effects.  People really need to be patient.

My own problem right now is I stupidly mailed a package to Spain (I really wanted this item to leave) and per tracking it has been sitting at Customs for weeks. I have sent Customer the tracking report and asked him to be patient. So far he is not demanding a refund. There is no way to retrieve the item. I can just see him finally asking for a refund and I am forced to do that, the item getting delivered. I would have been better off just throwing it in the trash.

USPS: I mailed a package from upstate NY to western PA that was stalled in a distribution center, finally filed RETURN TO SENDER, they billed me for it and on the very same day USPS sent me an email that it was back and to pick it up at my post office, Buyer emailed that it had arrived and he had it!

My eBay auction win on Dec 6 was mailed on Dec 8 and only just arrived on January 12.

I shipped a package cross country and used UPS but shipped it 3-day delivery to hopefully avoid rough handling and damage.  Maybe 3 out of 5 packages UPS delivers are absolutely mangled, and items only escape damage if they are REALLY wrapped defensively. It is NOT our drivers' fault. We have a fantastic driver. The damage is being caused by handling at the sorting/distribution centers.

FedEx - I do not have much experience as most of the people who ship to me do not use it. Last December we lost a package. Driver scanned it DELIVERED FRONT PORCH except it was NOT, and it was never found. I was reimbursed by the company I ordered the items from and they got to deal with the missing package.
One UPS package arrived smashed up so badly that the packaging store (a private company) asked if they could use my photos for employee training. The ONLY reason the contents survived was that their person had carefully wrapped fragile items in a blanket I had also purchased.

Final story: UPS, a large wooden crate, run through dead center in the middle by a careless forklift operator, and UPS refused the insurance claim saying ''poor packing.'' Shipper (one of my business associates) filed a $14K lawsuit.

by: CA This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 14 10:16:33 2021

I have given over 15 refunds - as items did not arrive or arrived 2 to 3 weeks late, and most after holiday. I sell mostly toys, so this is not good.  Mailed an item December 29 and customer still does not have January 14.  I went to postmaster, who stated there are backloads of mail up to 20 containers per distribution center on east coast, due to overload of online shopping due to virus and also due to many workers being out sick or on quarantine with virus.  I hope this resolves itself soon, as I sell lightweight items with first class mail and do not have another option.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Jan 14 12:04:31 2021

I have been waiting to get a refund for a package that has shown no movement since December 21st. Because USPS keeps updating daily saying the same thing with the tentative date of the arrival moving accordingly, eBay won't give me the refund because it's" still in transit".
Idiots

by: Valiant This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 15 07:01:08 2021

This is exactly what is happening and what I had to do. I believe this is a disgrace to the USPS. We now have a third world postal system instead of a first class one. All in the span of three months.

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Jan 15 22:59:28 2021

Union means even feet draggers get job protection!