Fri Jan 1 2021 20:12:56

Extra FedEx Fees Tacked onto eBay Seller Bills

By: Reader

I read your article on the FedEx shipping on eBay labels. I am trying to start a class action because no one protects the sellers on eBay.

This FedEx issue is really upsetting to me because I've been selling on here since the 90s. I am now selling to pay for my mom's cancer treatments. When I'm quoted $10.25 for home delivery and then billed $29 on 4 packages, I can't make any money. I'm in the negative.

This has got to stop and someone needs to take them on. I know how to measure. I know how to weigh. FedEx told me they added $17 a package because they had to hand sort my package. That is a bunch of you know what. Why would they need to hand sort my package? There was nothing special about it. They just randomly add money on or, the price eBay quoted was wrong, and all of these eBay reps are programmed to say" we can't refund you".

Quite frankly, someone needs to make them pay and that person is going to be me. I have the proof. I even have the FedEx office store double check my weight and measurements, and this is how I know it's not me. They told me today that the ground center will just tack on fees if they feel like it. This is illegal and they need to pay. Totally outrageous.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Take care
Lisa

Note from the Editor: We recently wrote about this issue on the EcommerceBytes Blog when another reader reported surprise FedEx charges on their eBay invoice in November.

Perminate Link for Extra FedEx Fees Tacked onto eBay Seller Bills   Extra FedEx Fees Tacked onto eBay Seller Bills

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 2 03:14:45 2021

This is another reason that I do not want to be forced to use their poorly designed and written backend program as well as have all of my personal and banking information suddenly being available to all of these non Ebay employees in the Philippines who I am sure are not having the necessary background checks run as I am sure that what the company is being paid by Ebay will not even come close to enough to do all of the background checks.  But Mangled Payments still has so many issues and so called glitches that they have to do something to answer the questions of those being screwed over by Ebay not giving them their money and no reports that a Seller should be able to tie to and exact deposit amount from Ebay.  But of course we all know that supplying accurate reports to anybody is not the Ebay way of doing things as that would make it to easy to catch them with their hands in the proverbial cookie jar.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 2 11:03:09 2021

Joe has proof of this issue with Fedex.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jan 2 12:50:48 2021

eBay owes the seller an itemized explanation of their shipping quote. Comparing that to what was billed will reveal the source of the disputed charges - which already seem to be known...’special handling”. Good luck with that.

eBays fault is not with this ‘surprise’, the beef is with FedEx, who as noted is notorious for ‘surprising’ their patrons this way. You’ll need to have FedEx void and refund the charge. Through MP. Good luck with that too.

eBay’s fault is with promoting a shipping source that can be as sleazy as eBay is at creative fee-ing, and for providing no interface process for addressing disputes via their spit and glued managed payment shell game.

So, seller needs refund from shipper processed via obfuscating payment processor. Good luck with all that.

And when it happens again, and it seems likely it will if you use eBay’s ‘services’ this way, hopefully knowing all this will help you know who to blame then.

by: akray99 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 3 10:57:05 2021

Most likely an address correction.  Check the tracking. It will tell you if there was an address correction.  The fee is disclosed in their fees documentation.

Address Correction
Express. If the shipper provides an incomplete or incorrect recipient address, we may attempt to find the correct address and complete delivery. We may use the address included in the shipper’s electronic shipment information to determine whether an address correction is necessary. We will assess a shipping fee. For shipments receiving FedEx Express Multiweight® pricing, the fee is $17 per package up to a maximum of $119 per shipment. Address correction is also required if the recipient phone number is omitted for a Rural Delivery (RD) address or a Star Route Assignment (SRA) address in Alaska. If we are unable to complete delivery, we are not liable for failing to meet our delivery commitment.
Within the U.S., we also will assess this fee if the address is a P.O. box number or P.O. box ZIP code. For international shipments destined to a P.O. box address, we may assess the fee if a valid telephone, fax or telex number is not provided for the recipient.
For FedEx International Broker Select®, the address correction fee will apply if the broker’s address is incomplete or incorrect on the air waybill or other shipping documentation. If we cannot determine the correct address or cannot reach the broker, we may attempt to contact the sender for address clarification or instructions to return the shipment. If we are unable to complete delivery under these circumstances, we will not be liable for failing to meet our delivery commitment.
Ground. If the shipper provides an incomplete, incorrect or P.O. box recipient address, we may attempt to determine the correct address, complete delivery and notify the shipper of the address correction. We may use the address included in the shipper’s electronic shipment information to determine whether an address correction is necessary. We assess an additional charge for delivery or attempted delivery to the corrected address. For shipments receiving FedEx Ground Multiweight® pricing, the fee is $17 per package up to a maximum of $51 per shipment. The money-back guarantee does not apply to these shipments, and we are not liable for failing to complete delivery or meet our scheduled delivery time.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 02:15:32 2021

Reminder to self:  Don't use Fedex shipping with Ebay.

by: HardWorkingSeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 08:18:36 2021

FedEx makes a lot of money from the accessorial charges and $17 is one of the common amounts charged.  Even if you have your own account with them, these are hard to spot as they just get sneakily applied to your bill, buried a few screens down in the on line billing report and you just have to set aside time each month to look for them and then spend a lot of time on the phone challenging them.

What's annoying is that if the recipient calls FedEx and adds or changes something in the address, *you* get charged $17 with no alert.  If that's incorrect then I don't know how you would get eBay to contest the charge if you used an eBay-produced label.

Another sneaky charge is when they charge special handling because the item is covered in plastic.  I like to use a poly mailer around factory cartons so that the item doesn't get covered in tape and labels.  But FedEx will sometimes assess an extra $17 for ''special handling'', even though I'm sure that it went through the normal flow.

If I do decide to risk the poly mailer approach then I use tape to ensure that the bag is stretched skin tight around carton and this usually seems to avoid the charge, but you're at the mercy of whoever checks in the package at the receiving depot to agree that there's nothing loose about the packaging.

I've never had a problem with doing this with USPS packages.  And FedEx seems fine with selling branded padded mailers for Express service, so it seems like an arbitrary cash grab.

by: up74 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 10:52:39 2021

I had the same issue. I no longer use Fedex with ebay for this reason. They give one price for the quote and then when the bill shows up on ebay is is always at least double and sometimes 3 times the original quote. I have not noticed this issue with UPS on ebay.

by: rfm This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 10:53:07 2021

This of course is why to only use your own FedEx account, so at least you can fight FedEx directly.  Ebay FedEx has been plagued with problems since day one.  This I have confirmed with FedEx top technical managers.

However, FedEx also can have some serious scan issues for weight and dimensions, that can affect your shipments, but at least with your own account you can generally get a problem resolved.  Although after my personal FedEx rep retired, I had enough of these issues and no longer use FedEx.

by: hkingal This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 4 12:09:35 2021

The only way to avoid this corrupt money grab is to stop using fedex. It’s a classic scam in that it’s not enough money to make it worth a legal battle. So, they continue to get away with it.
When I got surprise fedex charges, I called eBay & was told they would “investigate”. Which yielded nothing.
So vote with your dollars & don’t use fedex.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Tue Jan 5 20:43:27 2021

Related...got a $16 Fedex promo discount in Nov...it was added back in Dec.
WTF???

by: leavingNY This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 14 00:59:07 2021

When I go to print a label on Ebay shipping, I compare the prices. I put in the exact weight rounded up to the next pound. I put in the exact measurements rounded up to the next inch. When you go down the list of choices, Fed Ex home for instance says Ebay saves you 46% on this label and gives me the price which is cheaper then going with a different carrier, so I buy it and send it off. Only to find out I was totally lied to and in fact charged 1.5 times as much as originally told. Why then does Ebay lie and say that they have saved me 46% ? Why do they give me a false price which I rely on for making my comparison to buy a shipping label ? Its false advertising to put false information in order to make a comparison for shipping with other carriers. When, if I was not lied to, I would have just used another carrier besides Fed Ex home. This happened on every package I have been shipping fed ex which I also have to drive into town to drop off, after being deceived into thinking I was saving a few bucks, when in fact I was being totally lied to on Ebay shipping labels for Fedex home. They should not say "Ebay labels saves you 46% " with that price they show, when in fact this is totally false.