Wed Sept 9 2020 19:56:07

Two eBay Sellers Encounter Some Oddities Today

By: Readers

I am a 10+ year eBay seller in managed payments. By chance, I clicked on a sale today that seemed to have an unusually low payout for the sale amount. There was a 0.45 cent international fee on the sale, but I don't sell international and the sale is going to Virginia.

I called eBay and they said they didn't know why it was on there and they would remove it (that was hours ago and it's still not removed). I have screen shots if you want them. By the way, I am a long time reader here and want to express my sincere gratitude for your work, it has been a great help to me.
R.

***

For the first time I got an order this morning and not only does eBay not give the email address but they don't even give the name!

I'm supposed to ship a package to someone based on a funky name that looks similar but not identical to their eBay user ID. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?
Loyal Reader

NOTE: eBay officially announced the practice of anonymizing buyer email addresses in today's Fall Seller Update, but it does not apply to buyer names.

Perminate Link for Two eBay Sellers Encounter Some Oddities Today   Two eBay Sellers Encounter Some Oddities Today

by: lessthanthreerecords This user has validated their user name.

Wed Sep 9 20:35:45 2020

PayPal charged their international fee according to where the buyer's ACCOUNT was based, not according to the shipping address.  Meaning, if their PayPal account was registered in France (as a random example) you would get hit with the fee, even if they were having you (as a U.S. seller) ship to a U.S. address.  I also do not sell internationally, but was hit with the extra PayPal fee from time to time.  The difference was, PayPal (at least the vast majority of the time) gave accurate information in regards to how that worked.  Prior to being opted into MP, I asked multiple eBay associates how they would work their international fee, and I got multiple (conflicting) answers.  Some said it was based on the buyer's shipping address, others said it was based on where the buyer's account was registered.  PayPal's fee was an extra 1.5%.  eBay's is an extra 1.65%, but then there's another 3% currency conversion fee.  As though eBay did not confuse me enough already, some associates stated that the buyer pays the 3% and others said the seller pays the 3%.  So, as someone who only ships within the U.S., I'm left wondering if there is no possibility I will ever pay any international fee, or whether I could end up paying as much as about 5.25% on top of the normal FVF (remember, sales tax is now included in the fee assessment, so an extra 4.65% fee comes out to about 5.25% of the actual item price if it's going to a high-tax area).

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Sep 10 12:03:12 2020

typical fleecebay. got to keep them slimy hands in sellers pockets

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri Sep 11 02:08:23 2020

@R

Where was the buyers account from?  That is important as that is what drives Ebay to determine if a sale is international or not.  @lessthanthreerecords is correct.

As of Sept. 1st MP is also having some issues with Puerto Rico sales.  They are labeling them international and charging the international 1.65% fee on top of the regular fees for it.  They know they have this issue and are working on it.

@Loyal Reader
The buyer name issue would likely not be Ebay's fault but your buyer's.  I'd contact the buyer to let them know they need to update their account for future sales and to get their name so you can put it on the shipping label.  That won't change your ability to qualify for what little Seller Protection there is.  Just don't change the address, but you can correct the name.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sat Sep 12 19:50:47 2020

@Marie

Just shows that Ebay is still using their offshore programmers who not only don't know what holidays that the US observes but also evidently do not know that Puerto Rico is a US Territory and therefore not subject to International Fees.  Any bets on how long this problem takes to finally get fixed?  Or if sellers that do not complain about the error do not get an automatic refund of the overcharge?

This is just another intentional glitch on Ebays part to pocket more money that they are not entitled to.  I am sure that Mangled Payments is not earning anywhere near the amount they had projected to Wall Street or the Shareholders plus they need to try and make up for some of the revenue they are losing with all of the store closures by Sellers either downgrading or closing their stores or accounts.  Its going to be interesting to see if this new CEO clamps down on all of these revenue generating glitches or if he turns a blind eye to them just as Wenig did.  So far all I keep seeing is the second coming of Devin Wenig who did everything possible to take additional revenues from the remaining Sellers as he could whether it was legal or not.

Might explain the sudden turnover on the BOD as they are not seeing any changes under the new CEO and are worried that the BOD might be held liable for continuing to allow theft of Sellers monies by Ebay.  Mangled Payments and whatever subsidiary Ebay created to be the responsible party, is going to be subject to a lot more scrutiny than Ebay was due to the banking and credit card regulations they are now going to be subject to.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 13 01:57:05 2020

@Silver Ice King

I know opinion of Ebay you say it quite frequently.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 13 01:59:35 2020

Sorry that should have read "your opinion".

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 11:18:47 2020

And we all thought Meg Whitman was bad ........  Oh for the good old days!!!

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 13 11:24:37 2020

I would think any charges, taxes, etc. would be based on the buyer's shipping address that was provided for any particular sale.

It would have to be a reach for eBay to ignore the information provided in a purchase, and go instead to the buyer's registration information ?

I realize ''this is eBay where all bets are off'' but the shipping address (including the PLUS FOUR on the Zip code!) is what determines if and how much sales tax is charged.  I live in New York state. If my buyer lives in New York also I am required to collect sales tax on their purchase, but NOT if the shipping address buyer has provided is in a different state!

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Sep 13 12:49:57 2020

@railady

I think there is a misunderstanding here.  Ebay does charge sales tax by the Ship To address, NOT the buyers primary address unless that is also the ship to address.

That wasn't a problem either of the OPs had.

If you are selling on Ebay and live and ship to someone in NY, it is Ebay that is legally responsible to collect and remit the sales tax to your state because of the Marketplace Facilitator law that is in place.

by: VeryGoodVintage This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 14 16:47:14 2020

Regarding the International Fee. I've been hit with the international fees as well. I do not sell outside of the U.S. but a buyer/seller in Canada who occasionally purchases from me has a shipping address in California. It is annoying to be charged for his purchases but after talking to Paypal and ebay there is nothing that I can do other than to block him from buying.