Sat July 18 2020 16:54:22

eBay Global Shipping Disappoints Collectibles Buyer

By: Reader

Just wanted to report a frustrating experience with eBay's Global Shipping Program. I listed a small lot of vintage paper souvenirs (notepad, brochures, map) from The Mirage Hotel in Vegas, including a large promotional postcard of Sigfried & Roy who performed there. My original listing also included 2 Mirage matchbooks.

I have almost all of my listings opted in to eBay's Global Shipping Program. Turned out a nice lady in Germany purchased this lot on July 6. When I saw that it was going overseas, I messaged her through eBay's message function to let her know the matchbooks would be prohibited for shipping via air, and offered to cancel the order if she wished.

She replied that she didn't really want the matchbooks, so just send everything else, which I did. The first class package to the Kentucky eBay clearing house was small and flat (9"x7") and 4 ounces.

I am truly dumbfounded at what eBay actually does at their Global Shipping warehouse - I thought they opened packages for possible inspection before they add custom forms or whatever else they do to get the packages onto their final destination - which, as we know, the buyer pays dearly for through the inflated shipping charges, custom fees, etc that eBay makes sure we sellers don't see how much padding they have for profit.

Tracking showed eBay Global Shipping Center received the package from Indiana to Kentucky on July 8. eBay sat on this package for 9 days, for no apparent reason. Today (17th), I got an email from eBay saying that my shipment is prohibited, will NOT be sent to the buyer, but they will refund the buyer and allow me to keep the payment, but the package will NOT be returned. WHAT?!?

I immediately messaged eBay for Business on Facebook, explained that there was nothing prohibited in the package, which should have been obvious by the flatness of the small envelope, and also pointed out the messages between me and the buyer that eBay clearly monitors, saying the matchbooks would NOT be sent.

The eBay FB rep was polite but said nothing they could do about it, that they just went by the listing title and at least I wasn't out the payment. The sale was only $15 so very minor in the grand scheme of things, but the Sigfried & Roy postcard was somewhat unique. It's just infuriating that eBay didn't even bother to look inside after holding it for 9 days.

I knew from previous Global Shipping experience that packages tend to sit there for weeks before moving on, but always thought it was because they were "doing something" with them. How naive of me. Makes me sad that the very nice buyer is now disappointed too.

Curious to know what happens to the items eBay "confiscates" from GSP.... do they resell or auction lots off locally?

Saturday Night Live's Gilda Radner character "Roseanne Roseannadanna": must have been talking about eBay when she said: "It's always something... if it's not one thing, it's another."
CK

Note from the Editor: In 2014 we wrote about what happens when eBay allows an item to be sold through the Global Shipping Program but is cancelled after the sale, as what happened to the reader above. See, "eBay Global Shipping Undeliverables End up Back on eBay." We're not sure if the identical practice remains in place today.

Perminate Link for eBay Global Shipping Disappoints Collectibles Buye   eBay Global Shipping Disappoints Collectibles Buye

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Jul 18 18:49:40 2020

@CK - I've never used the GSP, but since you state you have almost all of your listings opted in, you would know: Does it save you that much money for you to use that service instead of a USPS global service? Or is the ease of just mailing it to Kentucky where everything is handled after that? Since it is obvious that eBay doesn't know (or care) what you are actually mailing, it would seem that a service where you are in total control would be better for your customers. Not to mention all the extra fees tacked on that your buyers are forced to pay.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 18 21:34:49 2020

I agree with Jack! I took one look at GSP and decided to not get into it. I heard about some really bad "returns" that went the wrong way for buyers. Honestly, I think it must be like renting a house to tenants. You can have terrific experiences for years, and then one single bad one just destroys all of it.

CK, you are fortunate such a small amount was involved. It also seems really wrong for eBay to not return the item to you - even at your expense.

But I don't think eBay has any duty to open and inspect packages and then guess if there is something questionable inside. So of course they will use the item title.

I would not want to trust EBay opening and repacking my items. Nor preparing the customs forms - what happens if the package is rejected at Customs ?

I sell overseas, but I like to control the countries I ship to and have avoided GSP because so much of it is out of my hands.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sat Jul 18 22:41:07 2020

I've done 100's of intl shipments through USPS, not GSP, with zero problems and no complaints.
Only a genuine sap would use GSP.
All ebay's "under one umbrella" BS is just that...BS.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 11:35:35 2020

For whatever it's worth, packages sent internationally via USPS sometimes get hung up for a week or more in Miami or the other international hubs.

I've opted out of EBay global shipping. I have enough trouble as it is without those turkeys trashing my business. They can't even run the platform properly, I'll never trusted them to handle my packages.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 19 11:55:36 2020

A typical example of the date leaving US for delivery to Canada through the Global Shipping program.

11 Jun 2020 08:38
Tracking Details Uploaded. Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item LONGWOOD, FL

Pitney Bowes
28 Jun 2020
15:38
Shipped from the Global Shipping Center to International Destination
Erlanger, Kentucky, United States

06 Jul 2020
12:04
Delivered to recipient's front door
BOURGET, ON, Canada

Almost a full month. It is atrocious service. I had two packages from a June 4th purchase. 1 showed up on Friday, 6 weeks later. It was shipped from NY State to Ontario.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 19 12:02:13 2020

Here's another one.

Canada Post tracking #4011220526949650
Global tracking #UPAAC000000106778385

Jun 3, 2020
12:40pm
Tracking number provided

03 Jul 2020
13:06
Processing at the Global Shipping Center
Erlanger, Kentucky, United States

It rolled around somewhere for a month. It still hasn't arrived.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 12:13:49 2020

The scary part is they are "shadow blocking" countries even if you are not in GSP (I am not). I have would-be buyers all the time asking me why I have blocked their country, etc....when I ship worldwise, excluding OFAC countries. Just this week, Slovenia (in Europe...!) and Argentina have been blocked. Yet when I look to see if anything is blocked, it shows nothing other than the ususal suspects (Iran, North Korea, etc.). This is Pitney Bowes 100% as they have integrated their restrictions into ebay whether you are in GSP or not....they just are not telling us.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jul 19 15:30:34 2020

I honestly don't know if sellers realize that GSP is a major turnoff to sales. I won't by anymore from someone who uses that program. I can get items in 1/3rd the time by USPS.  Even UPS from Canada to the States is under a week. What the heck does eBay think it's doing?

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jul 19 22:23:20 2020

Wow.  So what's to prevent eBay from purposely confiscating undervalued items (that go through GSP) just so it can resell for higher value?  You can't trust eBay, can you?

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Mon Jul 20 01:11:52 2020

I sell some copyrighted items. I would never give any of them over to GSP unless return was guaranteed in the event the item could not be delivered. In most cases GSP is an order of magnitude too expensive for small items, especially to Canada. The International Flat program offered by stamps.com is less expensive for items that qualify.

by: mindelec This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jul 20 17:09:44 2020

for me global shipping means i have international sales again. i have always offered international shipping, but has the usps raised prices the requests for quotes dwindled away and those that asked didn't purchase. signed up for ebay's program and suddenly i get several a month. i think it is because 1. they don't have to message me and 2. for books at least, it is a but cheaper than any quote i would give (you can find out what they charge by going to one of your listings and changing the ship to country on the shipping tab.