Wed May 27 2020 16:24:53

eBay Wrongly Refunded Sales Tax from Seller's Account

By: Reader

eBay has another issue with sales tax and how they refund it to the buyer on a return. I recently had a $19.99 item returned and I issued the customer his money back. My customer was charged $1.61 in tax initially, yet when I looked at the PayPal return, he was refunded $1.32 FROM MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT.

YES, I PAID HIS TAX REFUND instead of eBay!!

I called them and they saw what I found and corrected it but how many thousands of other sellers are paying the sales tax that eBay should be refunding?

I asked the eBay rep to look into this so others wouldn't get scammed. I would advise sellers look at their returns VERY closely.
Brian

Perminate Link for eBay Wrongly Refunded Sales Tax from Seller's Acco   eBay Wrongly Refunded Sales Tax from Seller's Acco

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 27 21:39:14 2020

eBay thieves, skimming (stealing) off the top.

Its like the movie where the new guy in the banks IT dept steals fractional cents per transaction. Sounds like nothing - until the next morning when he realized he was a millionaire.

eBay does the same exact move. They just steal LARGER amounts.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 28 02:10:34 2020

@Pace
Instead of just running with anything negative about Ebay, maybe research and find out what the issue actually is!  NO, Ebay is NOT "stealing" from the OP.

******************************************

Brian, go look at your Seller Invoice.  There you should see a credit for the sales tax you refunded to your buyer. If it isn't there, it should show up shortly.

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 03:34:52 2020

@Pace306
And this is just one of many ways thieves like Devil Wenig and eBay's mouthpiece 'The Grifter' line their deep pockets.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 08:19:20 2020

Marie - they took the money from the OP who (btw) has NOTHING to do with taxes to begin with.

Why can’t you just admit eBay was trying to steal the money? It’s quite simple.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 10:39:50 2020

Two issues here...
1) Taxes paid through PP NEVER hit a seller's account. So why is their genius program looking there for the money?
2) Assuming that IS the current MO, why is it a delayed 2-step process...1 debit, then later 1 credit?

by: cardfinds This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 12:23:23 2020

Hi Marie,
I only complain when there is something egregious like this which is likely happening to thousands of sellers. The young lady even said this shouldn't be happening. You may say it's only a few dollars but add it up x thousands and you've got a real problem. There is no refund on my invoice and this happened over 2 weeks ago.   Brian

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu May 28 13:06:32 2020

@pace306

"they took the money from the OP who (btw) has NOTHING to do with taxes to begin with. Why can’t you just admit eBay was trying to steal the money? It’s quite simple."

Oh I don't like the method they use for this.  But the seller was immediately given the amount for the sales tax back, just not cash but a credit on their account.  So Ebay nor anyone else is lining their pockets with this cash!

I do believe Ebay could have and should have a better way to handle these refunds.  However this is how they are doing it and no one is getting rich off it or stealing from one another.

Brian,

I didn't say anything about the amount, simply the process Ebay is currently using.  It is easy to make the mistake, as many do here, that because I can explain how or why something happens on Ebay that I agree with it.  That is not necessarily true.

But while the cash was removed from your PP account you should see a credit on your Seller Invoice on Ebay for the same amount.  For sellers that this happens to frequently, this method can be an accounting issue on costs as well.  Which is another problem Ebay's process creates with this.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 13:45:00 2020

"I do believe Ebay should have a better procedure for you and the rest of us.  Whether it is $1 or $100 doesn't matter.  I believe Ebay should have a better process for this."
Sub RATIONAL for "better"...then ask the new CEO why that it isn't so.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 15:17:27 2020

"Oh I don't like the method they use for this. But the seller was immediately given the amount for the sales tax back, just not cash but a credit on their account. So Ebay nor anyone else is lining their pockets with this cash!"

BECAUSE - they got caught.

MOST people - even myself - dont %100 go through their eBay invoices with a fine tooth comb to insure that its PERFECT. I glance at it and if it looks right - then I assume it is.

That may be the wrong method - but with 2-3 other sites going plus an 8:30-5 day job - I have to take somethings "on faith". If I miss something - then its on me cause I didnt catch it .......

BUT - why was that policy in place to begin with? SOMEONE wrote that code up - it was Sleeping Griff - hes over at Walkers eating bbq wings, not creating invoices and code.

When you assume that sellers are always the cause of "the problem" - then they "become the problem ... ALWAYS".

Yes it was handled correctly - but its like publicizing a bad return - until you embarrass eBay - they do nothing ...

why does it have to ALWAYS be this way?

how many people "magically" got CREDITS for things, over the years? I know I never did. Its ALWAYS take the money first, then MAYBE we will fix it... maybe.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu May 28 16:13:37 2020

@Marie

Brian just told  you this happened two weeks ago and there IS NO CREDIT. You'll even stick up for eBay even when the OP has told you he didn't receive a credit???

Way to far, even for you.

by: cardfinds This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 16:23:21 2020

I'm just trying to make this problem known so that other sellers don't have the same thing happen to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If I'm going to get slammed for trying to help others then so be it. THERE WAS NO CREDIT until I called and make the problem known, otherwise it would have NEVER happened. This is a business for me, and ebay is always nickel and diming me. I make the time to look at all aspects of my business and all the fees adds up.

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 17:07:32 2020

The new eBay CEO could sacrifice babies on the lawn in San Jose and some people would defend that too.

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 19:01:48 2020

Per Marie..."just not cash but a credit on their account. So Ebay nor anyone else is lining their pockets with this cash!"
Are you a fan of double entry bookkeeping?
They used HIS money to issue a refund, money that never went into his account, then gave him a credit (per you) on a future billing that that will come off their books, but NOT touch their cash.
Meanwhile, they get a credit from the taxing authority. It makes your head spin.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu May 28 19:30:31 2020

@cardfinds

I just checked a recent refund and I found the exact same thing. Nice one eBay. Thieves, you all are.

Hey Mr. Ionone. Hows about you check out this latest scam from your new tower?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Fri May 29 17:26:56 2020

@pace
"BECAUSE - they got caught."  It is doubtful that has anything to do with this.  I don't even know why it would come up in conversations.  They didn't get "caught".  This is the format in which Ebay has been handling refunds for quite a while now when sales tax is part of the equation.

@canbrit

I am NOT "sticking up:" for Ebay.  I don't know how much clearer I can be on that point.  Because I can explain something absolutely does NOT mean I agree with it.  The ONLY thing it means is I can explain it.  Way too far, even for you!!

Brian is either overlooking it or Ebay did something wrong in the process.  Ebay is the only one that can help him resolve that issue.

@ebayout

AGAIN, I merely explained what Ebay normally does.  Why is this so hard to grasp?

FYI, I also mentioned above for those this happens to more frequently, it could become an accounting issue.  Sorry you didn't notice that either.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Fri May 29 20:36:05 2020

When it comes to the internal workings of eBay, the nuts and bolts, the policies, the crazy methods, my money is on Marie.  At least 2 to1 odds.

No money on Brian, no money on the useless eBay CS who would be the last to be able to follow the money (thereby misleading Brian and causing this ''alert''), no money on the peanut gallery who are way too eager to side with anyone claiming eBay is cheating (don't bother to ask for tangible proof), no money on those who said they checked (but really don't know where to look and missed the key piece to the puzzle, so they will get it wrong).

All in on Marie (pushing stack of chips forward).  She may not be 100% right about everything, but for things eBay, I'd NEVER bet against her.  Do so at your own peril.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat May 30 01:54:45 2020

@Lightning

Have you been drinking again?????  LOL

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sat May 30 15:04:28 2020

I don't have much of a selection in the fridge, Marie.  A 12-pack of anything alcoholic, wine coolers or beer, lasts over 6 months here.  Unless there's a family gathering, and things flow a bit faster.

Just stating an opinion, from observations over time.  Hard to trip you up on eBay stuff, like a baseball fanatic with stats.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sat May 30 15:08:52 2020

@Lightning

Well you certainly gave me a good giggle.  And thank you for the kind words.  They don't happen very often here or elsewhere anymore.  People seem to have lost this part of the conversation when everything is a post or tweet about something.

I approach my job as a seller on Ebay as I have any other job I've had in my life.  And that is to know what is going on around me to the best of my ability.  It has served me well over the years.

Again, thank you.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 30 22:18:35 2020

"@pace
"BECAUSE - they got caught." It is doubtful that has anything to do with this. I don't even know why it would come up in conversations. They didn't get "caught". This is the format in which Ebay has been handling refunds for quite a while now when sales tax is part of the equation."

You may be exceptional at explaining all the complexities of eBays rules - but the PLAIN ENGLISH of it still exists and needs to be understood.

eBay did the wrong thing, the OP called, then they fixed it.

THAT is how eBay works - they do the WRONG THING, you complain, and IF they feel you are WORTHY - then they fix it. Sometimes - they dont and you have to embarrass them on social media.

Regardless of HOW it works - or even why - the question ALWAYS begs - why does it have to be this way? Why cant they just GET IT RIGHT? (the first time).