Mon May 25 2020 12:12:43

eBay Places Seller into Global Shipping Program without Notice

By: Reader

eBay sellers beware. As reported by another user in the EKG reports. eBay has lost their little bit of remaining minds and are now INVOLUNTARILY and with NO NOTICE to the Seller "OPTING" store sellers INTO their "Global Shipping Program".

Yes, I do not use their wrong-headed Global Shipping Program and have never ONCE regretted NOT using it. Why? Because it costs my International buyers $$$ vs. my shipping to them directly using USPS First Class International OR USPS International Priority Mail.

Not only is the up-front $ cost lower, but also the ONLY VAT or Import Duty is charged by the FOREIGN country. Ummm... isn't that true for GPS? Nope. I've heard from more than one Export Buyer that GPS has charged them such fees even if the Gross Merchandise Cost was BELOW their own country's threshold for charging Duty OR VAT. Ugh.
Greg

Perminate Link for eBay Places Seller into Global Shipping Program wi   eBay Places Seller into Global Shipping Program wi

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Mon May 25 18:41:09 2020

Ebay provides a discounted label for intl. shipments.
I run the label, affix it, hand the package to my mailman, he scans it, and off it goes DIRECT.
No middleman.
I've shipped a couple hundred packages in 20 years with NO problems.
So why does ebay want to muck up a good thing? Follow the money.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon May 25 22:41:57 2020

The only international shipping I do is to Canada now.  But I used to ship directly, as ebayout mentions, with very good results.  The GSP is an overhead to the buyer, usually.  Direct shipments might not get taxed at all, hit or miss.

For some sellers, the security of shipping to a US location and being seller-protected and done with it is an attractive feature of the GSP.  You still have to deal with any NAD claims.

I just sent a couple of Canada shipments last week, and the odd one to Germany, I have a friend there.  Both were Priority International.  Disappointed to see that the usual hefty discount offered by eBay was now gone.  Had a 5% discount from the usual Click&Ship rates, the same as you can get through PayPal.

Wondering if others noted a change, or if it was just a glitch at that time.  I don't do a lot of international shipping, so hard to get a good read on it.  I saw no eBay announcement of the rate change, but it would not surprise me if they just slipped it in.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 26 05:43:33 2020

Yes, the same thing happened to me back around Late April or Early May of this year.  I noticed it on ONE listing I had just the day before EDITED and thought it must have been My Own Mistake to have clicked GSP ( I do all my eBay on my DELL Touch-Screen / Wide-Screen laptop so an UnLucky TWITCH of my finger on the mousepad OR flick at the screen ... EITHER can be treated as a LEGIT entry.) However when a day later I started a NEW listing and saw GSP selected I raced to Preferences and found it HAD BEEN CHANGED from my own Emphatic NO WAY JOSE .... to Yes, GSP.
I instantly changed it BACK and in the intervening weeks it has not re-appeared.
Almost 5 percent of my Dollar Value of eBay sales are EXPORT so I don't want any Hare-Brained EBay Wanker interference with my own CURATED, THOUGHTFUL, and REASONED-THRU, selections as to things like the way I have found it SOOOOOO EASY to follow the right steps, enter the right data, and HAND DELIVER all of my Export First Class Mail directly to the Post Office Counter.
If it "aint broke" .... don't "fix" it.

by: aris This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 26 06:50:17 2020

Just caught that they did to me last week. I'm glad I just 'happened' to catch the change.
It's absolutely OUTRAGEOUS that they would make a change like this without any type of contact to me first.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 26 13:32:48 2020

Not any different then the usual EC headline(s)

“eBay places seller(s) into (unwanted/unneeded) Managed Payments program” (without notice/care)

by: COVID-19 This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 26 21:51:50 2020

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed May 27 10:17:48 2020

I sell used military items that are NOT for export, I signed an agreement that I will not export any of the merchandise I purchase.

They tried to opt me in a few years ago.

A quick call to eBay and they opted me out. . . .

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 27 13:51:59 2020

@ OP Greg

Thanks for catching this.

All 13 of my accounts were opted in.

Took almost an hour to get rid of that garbage.

Maybe that's why a guy from Canada refused to buy an item last week because he said the shipping was insanely high.

Ya think?

by: MichaelP This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 06:04:04 2020

"Next up:  eBay will dictate the prices of your items!  Without notice, of course."

@COVID-19, I had this happen a few times recently. I would use the bulk edit tool to change the quantity of a handful of my items, and eBay would automatically revert my price back to the lowest I'd ever offered.

It would even lower the prices on a delay after I had already verified that the prices hadn't changed. I would make a sale at the reduced price and this would alert me. One buyer contacted me asking about the lower price after I had raised it back up. I told him it was a glitch, but he wouldn't believe me.

by: MichaelP This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 06:06:06 2020

Oh, and eBay sent that buyer a message notifying him of the lower price! LOL

by: wrslss1222 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 06:35:03 2020

I used eBay's Global shipping once.  As of this date they still cannot tell me where the package is, and no, it never left their facility.  All I can say to eBay sellers is that before you print your shipping label, make sure you are purchasing the label you want.

by: tcpjs This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 28 09:34:19 2020

This happened to me as well sometime around the first part of May. I don't know exactly when it was switched on, because I was not notified. I only became aware of the issue when an international buyer contacted me to ask why I would not ship to their country. Knowing that I had not set any exclusions for international orders previously, I checked the listing to see if something had changed, and saw that GSP had been turned on. I revised that listing, and then checked a few more to see if others had been changed. After grumbling through some more bulk edits, I finally found where the "master switch" to opt in to GSP was located, and found that it had indeed been checked to opt in.

I then went back and looked at my packages shipped over the previous week or so, and found that where I had been shipping on average 2-3 per day to international buyers, there had been only 1 for the previous several days which was a lingering purchase for which late payment was received. My typical 10-15% of sales which go to international buyers had effectively dropped to zero for the period that I was unknowingly opted into GSP.

I have never opted into the GSP program due to the issues stated previously. I have always shipped internationally, and find that the current process for doing so (with electronic customs filing and door to door tracking in many countries) is easier than ever. I have always assumed that, whatever the benefits of GSP might be to me as a seller, it would have a negative effect on my international sales. Ebay just proved that to me. Against my will and better judgement. When I hit the master switch to opt back out of GSP, I was provided with a window to explain why I was choosing not to use GSP. My response was, "I never opted in to the Global Shipping Program in the first place. Please do not ever opt me into the program against my wishes again."

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sun May 31 21:49:57 2020

I want to take a moment to DETAIL the "drawbacks/stumblingBlocks" to GSP.

a.)  Just the SHIPPING cost that the CUSTOMER has to pay is predicated upon EXPRESS rates.  FEW export buyers would EVER select 2-pound PRIORITY INTERNATIONAL rate when TRACKED and EFFICIENT First Class International Package is already roughly 50 percent BELOW the Priority rate.  Advantage AGAINST GSP.

b.)   MOST countries only charge their own Import Duty has a $ Minimum commodity value threshold BENEATH which NO DUTY is assessed.  None. Nada, Nichts, Flies right thru with NO Import Duty.  Advantage AGAINST GSP.

c.)    Countries like Canada and MOST of if not ALL of Europe charge VAT (Value Added Tax) on the ENTIRE commodity ONLY price. (If the shipping is HIDDEN in the "commodity price" then the UnLucky Foreign Buyer is dinged VAT on the artificially inflated "commodity price".  Advantage AGAINST GSP.

d.)   Beyond mere Dollar Cents Euros and Pesos the OTHER disadvantage is that the GSP warehouse up in Erlanger, Kentucky OPENS UP essentially EVERY PACKAGE they get in before sending it ON to the export customer.  Why do they OPEN them?  Well, to be SURE that no contraband or BANNED items are in the package.  Think not only ILLEGAL DRUGS, but also Collector's item PLAYBOY magazines destined for Saudi Arabia or WW2 Nazi uniforms/medals/bayonets to MODERN GERMANY / Bundes Republic Deutschland.  They ALSO open up as INTERNATIONAL shipping is largely priced on DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT to an even more intense level than what we only RECENTLY have been hitting with USA domestic parcel shipping rates.  If WE the shipper put a DELICATE item in an un-necessarily large or TOO HEAVY a box the GSP folks re-pack into smaller, lighter, or BOTH packages often NOT recognizing that some NORMAL LOOKING rare or antique item might be TWICE or THRICE as valuable vs. what anyone NOT familiar with it would ever think.

CONCLUSION:   GSP is a wrong-headed "solution" in search of a problem that creates insurmountable $$$$ road-blocks to successful international sales.

Just like back in Roman Times GSP and Carthage Must Be Destroyed