Thu Mar 26 2020 14:16:37

Would Auctions Better Entice Stay-At-Home eBay Buyers?

By: Reader

I am finally, after 20 years, frustrated enough to try to talk to someone. Why on earth does eBay offer us all 50,000 fixed price listings for free? What are we supposed to do with that in 7 days? And, yes, we get to figure out that out in 30 days in April.

The only thing on earth different about eBay is their auctions. That is something no other e-commerce platform has. People are home - they might be excited to jump back in on auctions. But, no, they give us a bunch of fixed price listings. (I have an enterprise store with 90,000+ listings, and if I had anything ready to go it would be up already.)

Anyway, thank you for listening,
Judy

Perminate Link for Would Auctions Better Entice Stay-At-Home eBay Buy   Would Auctions Better Entice Stay-At-Home eBay Buy

This user has validated their user name. by: unsuck

Thu Mar 26 16:02:33 2020

It was a move designed to look very generous to media and Jane & John Q. Public while in reality 'giving' very little at all.

Agreed that auctions (preferable either/or Auction or BO) could have been enticing, and perhaps even revitalized interest in eBay's auction format to a new generation currently stuck at home (particularly if by magic immediate payment could also be implemented for auctions).

The 50k "free" listings is actually 100k -- 50k for March + 50k for April.

If my napkin-math is right, In order to take full advantage of this eBay offer, sellers would need to average list about 3,700 items each business day (in reality, about 8,300 per day starting the day after the March 23rd afternoon announcement for March's offer itself). That's a lot of listings.

For 99.999 percent of sellers it may as well have been a million free listings. Or a billion.

But hey, sellers wanted free listings and eBay gave it to them for a month, so I suppose that is something.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 26 17:29:34 2020

Why would Auctions be an enticement for me more than fixed listings. I have no desire to play cat and mouse with another bidder over something I might want. I would rather either find it on fixed price or go elsewhere. Most of us even those who are home have better things to do than play chase for a few days.

by: mjr55 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 27 01:22:06 2020

I just don't get the obvious bias on here sometimes from posters.

We get one person on here a few days ago who writes Ina and says Ebay should give free listings to help out. Then Ebay gives sellers 50,000 free listings for 2 months and yet someone now complains that is too many and what are they supposed to do with that many listings!

Ebay deferred fees for a month. They told sellers they would not mark anyone down on performance standards for the next 3 months. I mean, really, what more do you want from them? They've handled the situation pretty well....and quite honestly, they weren't required to. People are still buying stuff on Ebay.....so why should you get free listings?

What has Amazon given? They have basically said 1) we are now to going to make sure FBA essential items have priority (resulting in FBA sellers with non-essential items having estimates of a month for delivery as a result), 2) took forever to finally say they were going to defer Amazon Lending loan payments that were due from sellers, and 3) basically said don't send anymore non-essential FBA items to warehouses for the time being because they aren't going to be processed anytime soon.

I totally understand Amazon's rationale for these policies. They should prioritize essential items. Amazon has been very essential in helping people get supplies over the last couple weeks. My only point is....don't trash Ebay and make it sound like they haven't offered anything....because that's not true.

People just aren't buying right now....the stock market went down 10 THOUSAND points last week. People are holding on to their money as they probably should for awhile....they aren't out not buying because there isn't an auction available for an item.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 27 06:01:38 2020

Another no to auctions here. My last few for popular items ended with non-payers. It's just not worth the hassle. Do a BIN - with immediate payment - sell it and ship.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Mar 27 15:23:15 2020

Nowadays, it seems like when people want something, they want it yesterday. There's probably not that many people who would wait out an auction, unless it was something they really, really wanted.

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 27 20:09:33 2020

eBay has to do something as so many of the LARGE sellers are basically done having been shut down due to the virus.

If your inventory isn't at your house, what are you supposed to do..??

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sat Mar 28 19:00:08 2020

It's funny, I actually bought more on eBay in the last week than last year.  Chinese are a little desperate and others are giving in a little to offers.  If the economy doesn't tank, toy shows in the fall should have some pent up demand.

by: Plug This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 30 00:44:24 2020

I saw the call for free listings and got zero free listings. If I would have gotten some, I would have got to work and started listing items!

Ebay has the extremes covered, you get 100K or you get zero!  All I need is a couple hundred to motivate me.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 30 05:29:27 2020

"Why would Auctions be an enticement for me more than fixed listings."
Foggy -- The Goodwill online stores have auctions and they do very very extremely well.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bidonmine

Mon Mar 30 09:04:16 2020

I use auctions for unique and antique items for which there is not enough data to set a fixed price. I would not add auctions just to have them under any circumstance or free-listing offer.

by: Books and Media This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 30 11:31:36 2020

The 50,000 free listings is actually going to save me a lot of money. I was paying $350/month for an Anchor Store subscription. I run around 7500 listings/month, so I'll never use 50k - but when this notification came out, I downgraded my store to a basic one with Selling Manager Pro - so I will save about $300/month. Today I'll cancel and relist all of my fixed price listings that renew from the first of the month through about the 20th, unless they have watchers. So my March listings will be good through the end of April, when they'll renew - and be active through May. Come June 1 I'll upgrade my store again. But for April and May I'm saving about $600. That's a Big Deal.

If you have an annual subscription, this won't work, but I don't - just for this reason. I want the flexibility to make changes as needed.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bill

Tue Mar 31 00:11:56 2020

For the most part I only use auctions. I try every once in a while to use fixed price but the items just sit there and I get views but no watches or offers.
True Stamp collectors usually only buy at auction.

by: Plug This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 31 15:35:35 2020

Giving credit where credit is due -- Ebay just gave me 200 free listings, just as I asked of them!  Now I will fulfill my end of the bargain and get to work making listings -- both auction (collectibles/antiques) and fixed price (when you have a good handle on the value of the item).  Thanks Ebay for giving me a little something to do while at home!

by: Disgruntled_Seller This user has validated their user name.

Wed Apr 1 09:44:41 2020

With as many mental midgets stalking the BIN listings now since they are trapped at home, I can only imagine what life with auctions would be like ...