Fri Mar 20 2020 09:45:17

Seller Calls on eBay to Offer Free Listings

By: Reader

This would be the perfect time (hard times) for eBay to open the floodgates for free listings (hopefully my letter is "jumping the gun" and such is already in the works).

The more we sell, the more eBay makes, and this would help some voluntary shut-ins get a little comfort or sense of normalcy during these abnormal times by either listing (in hopes of getting sales) or buying (some like packages arriving in the mail to break up the monotony).

My personal philosophy (in relation to eBay) has always been, "if I make money, then you make money." I think eBay forgets that it is a lot of hard work creating and maintaining quality listings.

Who wants to pay front end fees in hard times? It only sends a seller's bottom line further in the risky wrong direction (towards a loss) rather than towards a rewarding profit.  I operate on a rather small scale of around 1,000 listings. Free listings, as eBay is frequently accustom to giving, is a great way for eBay to continue to acknowledge and show appreciation for the time consuming, arduous work it takes to consistently produce good money-making listings (profits).

Many sellers do not survive the labor-intensive aspects of being a seller after just a few valuables around the house are sold and the honeymoon is over. If there ever was a broad win-win time for free listings, it is now, yet I see nothing so far.

The common sense trade off is this - we the "listers" will do the time-consuming, product-securing, listing-creating hard work, and you the platform-provider (eBay, etc.) can have your take when we get rewarded with sales. Hard times are upon us so please open all potential profit channels free of from taxation (fees).

I am considering using this "extra time" at home as an opportunity to either respond to free listings or to start migrating my listings to another platform for additional exposure. I have many listings that could be in front of potential buyers right now but instead sit dormant.

Who wants to pay front-end fees and then do a boatload of work while the economy is testing positive for Covid-19? Move the fees out of the way (reduces our risk) and watch favorable things happen for all (profits).
Signed,
WakeUpEbay

Perminate Link for Seller Calls on eBay to Offer Free Listings   Seller Calls on eBay to Offer Free Listings

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Fri Mar 20 11:00:53 2020

@WakeUpEbay (the OP) - I know there has been speculation for some time that the reason eBay hides listings or "rolling blackouts" occur is because they don't have the server capacity to show all the listings 24/7/365 to the entire country. If that is truly the case, then offering free listings in an unlimited amount to the entire seller base would be disastrous for the site. With all the glitches and broken features, how could they possibly keep up with the influx of new listings?

And as Pace often states, eBay is in the business of selling advertising space. If eBay really cared about sellers making money, they would have used some of their excess cash sitting offshore to expand their ability to actually show listings. People have been saying for years that when sellers make money, eBay makes money, but eBay doesn't seem to care about that. They only care about what they can squeeze out of sellers' pockets.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 20 11:33:47 2020

Ebay should do away with free listings. Why should someone get them free and the rest of us have to pay for them. This is like the person who makes a 1.00 offer for a 50.00 item. Lazy

by: Geetar This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 20 15:45:25 2020

I was mulling upgrading my store. I am at 1000 listings. But since there is a huge difference between the price of the stores, I decided not to. I dont need 10,000 listings. I need about 1400. $75 vs  $350.

Instead I will focus on listing my existing items elsewhere, instead of upgrading my store / buying and holding more inventory.

by: aris This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 20 17:32:23 2020

To: FeelingFroggy

The free listings are offered to those who have 'stores' - these stores have a hefty subscription fee, more than likely adding up to more than any fees you pay for your individual listings.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Mar 20 23:30:17 2020

@iheartjacksparrow

"They only care about what they can squeeze out of sellers' pockets."

Speculation and hearsay from your point as YOU don't sell on eBay. . . .

I could say the same of Etsy but I don't sell there so I won't say that. . . .

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 21 08:22:48 2020

Here in Massachusetts and other states it is all a moot point as we're not going to be allowed to go to our businesses to do anything as of Tuesday here...If you sell from home thats one thing, but if you are a business with a location, you're done for now .

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sat Mar 21 15:53:32 2020

@toolguy - Then maybe you'd like to explain eBay taking a 4% penalty fee if a seller has too many INR and SNAD claims (when we know a major portion of those claims are bogus).

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 23 01:09:09 2020

I'm not sure I understand the logic here.  If a seller is convinced that if they just had a few more free listings, they could survive these hard times on Ebay due to our current health crisis.  To me that just doesn't make sense.

If you are convinced that a few more listing would really help your sales, then post them and sell the stuff irregardless of is the listings are free or not.  If you need to raise the pricing a few cents to cover your listings fees, then do so.

Flooding the site with listings isn't the answer to getting buyers to buy more.  Advertising and bringing buyers to the site would help to be sure.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 03:31:08 2020

To foggyfeeling:  Not true about free listings for stores only.  I don't have a store and have always gotten free listings.

"My personal philosophy (in relation to eBay) has always been, "if I make money, then you make money." "  This is so true.  I just got free 100 listings about 10 days ago, used them up, made sales, now I'm at 0 listings, waiting for the next round of free listings.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 03:33:26 2020

"Here in Massachusetts and other states it is all a moot point as we're not going to be allowed to go to our businesses to do anything as of Tuesday here..."
^^Not to beat you up, but didn't you see this coming from other parts of the world?  I saw the pictures from other parts of the world, empty streets, businesses closed down.  It was inevitable.  You should have moved most of your stuff from your warehouse or office to your home.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 04:48:57 2020

I have a store and pay those "hefty" fees and I would like to ADAMANTLY join those saying NO FREE listings.  I used to HATE the way they handed out free listings right and left.  Sales always TANKED when they flooded the market with those things.  People are more discriminating about what they list when they actually have to pay something to list.  "Free" listings flood the site with all the CRAP that people can't otherwise sell.

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 04:53:25 2020

the only win win ebay wants is for ebay only. the only loose loose ebay wants is for their sellers. a great stinking philosophy for the great ebay , right !

by: wellspring This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 07:43:21 2020

I would like to have unlimited free listings and no store fees. No fee unless an item sells. Mercari and Poshmark only charge a (flat) % when an item sells. ebay could do that too but they don’t. They won’t. And, probably never will. Greedbay is so true.

by: Plug This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 13:28:11 2020

Maybe I can help you with the logic:

10% of something is better than 100% of nothing (that's the logic)

I don't think the above plea for free-listings is a matter of SURVIVAL but rather MOTIVATION to list.

If someone detests the fees then the work won't get done.  They lack the motivation to create a few more listings that do indeed have the potential to profit.   Therefore, zero more listings has zero potential to help someone' sales.  The fees are a definite, the sales are not.

I too dislike fees (they keep chipping away at your bottom line when your labor-intensive listings don't sell).

Logical?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 23 16:05:05 2020

I just received a promo from Ebay where I [as a store owner] can list up to 50,000 fixed price listings in March and April.

by: pfft!! This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 16:30:19 2020

yeah, I just got it too.  That's JUST what we need right now. Thousands and Thousands and Thousands of more listings (probably MOST of which are cheap garage sale type JUNK that nobody would actually pay to list) flooding the site. Yay ebay!(NOT)

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 23 16:39:40 2020

Do it or don't do it.  There is no way Ebay would make every seller happy.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Mar 23 17:41:24 2020

Ebay's latest announcement regarding some of the ways they are trying to help the community.

-through-COVID-19-in-ways-that-matter-the-most/ba-p/30787142

This user has validated their user name. by: unsuckEBAY

Mon Mar 23 17:48:43 2020

eBay does deserve *some* credit here - sellers (including two in this very thread) wanted free listings, and like Aladdin's genie *POOF* eBay granted that wish (for some, at least).🧞‍♂️

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 23 20:07:16 2020

i just read that offer for the additional listings but I didn't get an email.....does it need to be activated like others?