Thu Mar 5 2020 22:47:33

Seller Says AuctionZip Made It Hard to Find Local Auctions

By: Reader

I have an interesting bit of news in case you have not heard. Many online sellers source their antiques and collectibles at local auctions (the old fashioned way).

Years ago we would depend on the Sunday newspaper, but eventually we looked everything up online.

At the start we would need to go to each individual site to check their offerings as most had a website, but then AuctionZip came along. AZ was a great free site easy to navigate and buyers and sellers at local auctions came to depend on it.

Well, last month the owners drastically changed the site making it near impossible to navigate. Trust me in that the world of local auction selling it is all they are talking about right now.

The biggest problem is they took away the calendar. Check places like sitegrabber to see the current reviews. It went for a near 5 star reviewed site to now all 1 star.
R.

Perminate Link for Seller Says AuctionZip Made It Hard to Find Local   Seller Says AuctionZip Made It Hard to Find Local

by: Vicky This user has validated their user name.

Fri Mar 6 07:56:38 2020

Maybe a glitch? I have my calendar (bookmarked) I get on mine every week. If you still have problems, try gotoauctions.com

by: quirkyantiques This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 7 09:58:24 2020

I agree-the site is impossible to navigate now. The calendar was THE best tool for checking which auctions were happening and when. Now I can't find anything. I can't imagine what the site was thinking when they removed this feature. Now auctionzip is all but useless.

by: smallstuff This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 9 01:50:52 2020

I agree - they have killed the site.  First, they changed the way search results are mailed to you and now this.

by: SellerGirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 9 06:27:16 2020

I contacted AuctionZip and they said it is no glitch or mistake and gave me a four-step process to find the auctions I used to find in a single step. They told me to get used to it because the confusing way is the best way. Auctioneers say the cost to list almost doubled, too.

by: SellerGirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 9 07:26:24 2020

Work around to get AuctionZip calendar back:

rchZip=44444&txtSearchRadius=50&idxSearchCategory=0&gid=0&year=2020&month=3&day=11&txtSearchKeywords=&showlive=1

Simply
put your zip code in where it says SearchZip= (instead of 44444).  So if you want to search 90210, put that where 44444 is now.

by: lindysthings This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 9 08:07:45 2020

We discovered the same thing about a week ago.  I tried writing to them (AuctionZip) to explain that this was a huge mistake to users. Never got a reply.  There was a notation to somehow retrieve a calendar, but that never worked. I never found a monthly calendar anywhere.

The calendar provided a lot of info at a single glance. A 30 day look at which days had auctions, how many auctions on each  day, how many were online auctions, etc., and with ONE CLICK you could see that day's auctions in order by date. How simple is that???!!!  And you could advance the calendar by a month to see what was coming up next month quickly.

Having to spend the extra time and frustration to get to the previous info that was a click away is insane. To us, the present format is totally useless. Why do programmers always make things that worked perfectly fine, more difficult?  Layers deep to get to the same information?  In this case, without the calendar that same information is not even available.

Huge mistake! Don't FIX what isn't BROKEN!

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Mar 9 10:25:46 2020

I used to rely heavily on Auctionzip, but no longer. They changed the format of their 'Auctionzip Alerts' emails in such a way that you can no longer set up email rules to nag you when certain auctioneers you follow have posted an upcoming sale. It's a big loss for me, as I haven't been able to come up with a workaround. (I have fiddled with it off an on the past few months, to no avail)

by: toyman This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 9 11:06:08 2020

Glad to see I wasn't the only one to write to AuctionZip to tell them they must have hired some former eBay executives! There is simply NOTHING good about the new Search system. It is pretty much useless.

They had just a wonderful system, but like eBay, they had someone in Management decide they knew how to fix an unbroken system.

Not sure WHY they think this is a better system (they aren't replying to that inquiry), but I sure wish there was an Opt Out button somewhere.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 9 22:25:31 2020

Here is a link directly to the calendar :
&txtSearchRadius=30&txtSearchZip=12130&txtSearchKeywords=&idxSearchCategory=0

The
EASY way around this is to sign up and have an account. Then register ''Alerts'' and you can pick whatever you want it to search for within whatever distance from whatever Zip code you choose. You can also choose ''favorite auctioneers.'' I don't think there are any limits on how many - I have dozens registered.

AZ must have changed hands fairly recently. The contact addresses are in Boston and when I get a chance I am going to phone and find out - they actually list phone numbers and addresses.

I am incredibly proud to have helped Steve Johnson get AZ off the ground. I actually helped because I had dial-up phone service, and they were having trouble with pictures loading that ended up with more than one page of pictures. It was sooo great!! being a ''test bidder'' and I could email directly with him and a couple of the techs in the Pennsylvania office. Listings were FREE because outside advertising paid the bills.

Like anything else really great, it got bought. Steve J left. ''Artfact'' (''Invaluable'') bought it. The listing prices went from $10 (and then $20 after a while -- what is it now, $40??)).  No more chatting with Pennsylvania people.

CS under Artfact was good for a while and then was moved to the Philippines. Awful - I asked questions and got totally impossibly irrelevant answers. I finally just gave up.

Now apparently Artfact/Invaluable must have sold it and there is a new owner, who redesigned the emails we get in response to our ''Alerts'' for keyword searches and listings by favorite auctioneers. It is AWFUL. I do not want to see only ''NEW'' listings, I want to see the full entire list of all my Alerts hits, as I had always done. (It's there, it is just not accessible from the list of new listings they are now including in my daily email.)

Thank heaven for the ''VIEW ALL (number)'' button - which takes me to the entire list of Alerts results. I have one search that usually returns dozens of hits and thankfully that one has saved the day for me.

Why oh why do people fix things that are working really well and should be left alone?

by: JAY This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 00:00:40 2020

I too was mystified about the sudden change and loss of the wonderful calendar and figured it was a glitch.  After several days I decided it was purposeful, done by company officials for their personal entertainment. Or maybe the Russians did it.  Or the Ukranians.  Or Donald Trump.  BUT- besides saving the clumsy lnks offered above,  here is a solution you can do at any time ON THEIR SITE.  Here's how: Go to Auctionzip your usual way.  Find their link at the top for the AUCTIONEERS LIST (other sites may work as well).  Scroll way down to the bottom of the page and find  a box they call QUICK LINKS.  There are 10 or so of them.  Click on "ABOUT US".  Almost there- on the "about us" page scroll down to lower right corner- and in the area called "ARE YOU A BIDDER" there is the beloved box that will send you to the old calendar page.  It also has the places to set zip codes, distance, and type of auction  just like you used to find at top of calendar. Fill it in and it is deja vu- all over again.  Unfortunately if you want to change zip codes or distance you have to go through this system of pages to reset it.  It remains on the ABOUT US page; it does not move to the calendar page.  What a bother.  Happy zipping...

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Tue Mar 10 21:42:44 2020

To find PAST auctions ...
This worked in the past. I have not checked to see if it still does, but I would think it should:

Perform your search like you normally would to get to the calendar. From here advance to a future month. (I know this sounds silly) Once in the future month, look up at the address bar. You will see numbers indicating what month you are in. Change these numbers to the month you want to be in and press enter on the keyboard. It should take you to that month worth of results.

by: billslistings This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 11 09:35:24 2020

AZ used to be free for auctioneers and was THE place to go to after looking in "The Capital Press", (both in news print and online).
When AZ started charging, most all the auctioneers quit using them here in the Pacific NW.
There are still on-line auctions, (That I don't even look at), but now live auction listings are real estate and a few storage auctions.
All the same auctioneers around here switched to: "Auctionguy" and "gotoauctins" which are free to list on.
Change is good they say. But they aren't talking to us over 70 folks.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 11 14:56:15 2020

@Billslistings - thank you for the other sites where auctioneers are listing. I didn't have those before.  I don't know for certain what kind of auctions you are looking for (it sounds like close enough to attend in person), but in my area, New York and the northeast,  AZ absolutely isn't mostly storage and real estate, they are running regular online auctions right along.

I rely on AZ to discover auctions, mostly online (close enough to attend in person or use a telephone bid - I try not to use the online bidding but sometimes must)  or local to attend in person. Auctioneers at a distance who don't run auctions online are difficult to participate with - I have to bid sight unseen directly from an auctioneer I probably don't know and hope for the best. I do this, but only with items I truly want.

That said, this is rather like an eBay situation - most bidders likely don't know about AZ's competition. AZ was the beginner and got established and bidders found out about it and it's become the ''go-to'' site over these years. New competitor websites are not advertising extensively enough for potential bidders to find out about them.  This is a  disservice to consignors who won't realize the most $ for their items because the auction house using one of the newbies only,  is not advertising as fully as it might. A vicious circle.

However, I would guess that even at $40, AZ is still cheaper than area newspaper coverage. And that begs the question each auctioneer must decide - by ''saving'' $40, how many potential bidders won't hear about my listing and won't participate ?

This situation just another example of a superb original company small enough to get bought out and after that it all goes downhill. Truly frustrating and sad for participants who have come to rely on it.

Just found another truly annoying thing with the ''new'' formatting -- looking through an auction catalog, clicked on one of the lots to see details and they no longer have a place to click ''RETURN TO AUCTION'' - the only way to get back to the catalog is the back button, which takes you back to Lot ONE.  Beyond stupid.

The other thing I truly miss is conversing with auctioneer friends through the forums AZ used to host. I learned a lot about the business and what is going on. They gave those up quite a while ago and Facebook won't allow me to join the auctioneer groups because I am not an auction business.