Sun Feb 23 2020 12:11:16

Etsy Mom Wages Campaign after Shop Suspension

By: Reader

I am a mother of six young children, and my husband is legally blind. My husband was diagnosed with a rare eye condition called cone dystrophy 12 years ago, which is a type of central vision loss. One year later he was laid off due to the recession and lost not only a job but his career to his poor sight. We started a shop on Etsy in 2010 and found much success over the last 10 years. We've tried several other venues over the years but expertise was on the Etsy platform. We were able to employ 12 contracted employees to allow other local mothers to work from their homes.

Etsy saved my family, it gave us the privilege of providing for ourselves despite our circumstances. I've always supported Etsy, I have always followed their rules and guidelines. So imagine my shock when my shop of Ten years was permanently suspended on February 13th.

I had no warning of this, and the email Etsy Trust & Safety provided was vague and only led to more questions than answers.

We frantically tried to email Etsy Trust & Safety as instructed with no luck. We called Etsy support several times, but every time the customer service verified our account, they read a written message and hung up on us.

This was our sole income, so this situation is devastating to my family. To make matters worse, Etsy locked up hundreds of dollars in my account, leaving me unable to use Etsy shipping labels. They continued to run ads and collect funds from my deactivated listings, winding those locked up funds down to nothing. So the orders tied up there are my loss as I still will be loyal to my customers.

They also used my images on their ads on Facebook to drive traffic to Etsy. I also have hundreds of thousands of Pinterest pins that have had the URL locked so it could not be changed to my new site but rather continually funnel traffic to Etsy. That ultimately puts me in competition with my own images.

Out of desperation, and posting my story to my Instagram page, I have found my account flooded with countless stories of sellers in the same boat. After several days of high activity and no contact from Etsy, I received a message from the Senior Director of Etsy Trust & Safety. She informed me that one of her team members would send me an email.

After checking our email, the only explanation was that we were closed down over 2 cases and 2 low reviews. I am still shocked, I am a high volume seller, I was just shy of 30,000 sales and 5,544 5-star reviews. They gave me previous dates of contact over the last 4 years. After searching through the email these "said emails" went to, I was only able to find one automated email in November, I was not able to find any other such emails, this email has nearly 500,000 emails, as it is the email for my Etsy account.

I highly doubt my shop was reviewed by a human as Etsy Trust & Safety claims, as any human would see that I reached out and worked with each customer for each low review and case. All cases were closed in my favor or by the buyer themselves and many cases resulted in 5-star reviews.

Many buyers admitted they thought the case system was the only way to contact the seller. Does this not prove my success in customer service? Most of the women coming to me with similar stories were never able to contact Etsy or never received an answer. So they are coming to me, simply to be heard.

I don't know where to take this, I feel as if Etsy has become a huge machine that has been programmed to eliminate every shop on Etsy.
Thanks for your time.
Krista F.

Perminate Link for Etsy Mom Wages Campaign after Shop Suspension   Etsy Mom Wages Campaign after Shop Suspension

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 23 12:22:02 2020

This explains why there was this odd manifesto on Etsy's site about the "myths about shop deactivation"

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 23 12:28:49 2020

More to the story than being told.

by: sellerchick This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 23 12:42:20 2020

First article on Shop dashboard
"3 myths about policy enforcement debunked
Corinne from our Trust & Safety team debunks the biggest misconceptions about shop closures."

This user has validated their user name. by: Carl

Sun Feb 23 12:57:52 2020

"They continued to run ads and collect funds from my deactivated listings, winding those locked up funds down to nothing."
-----
Blood boiling...must close page.

by: JC This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 23 13:57:08 2020

Write a complaint to the CFPB
They cannot hold your photos hostage, among everything else that they are doing

by: thriftyone This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 23 14:17:54 2020

Their 4th qtr earnings are going to be released this week....you need to shout this from the roof tops so these investment bankers can hear how they are treating "you" the true "customer" of Etsy...If I were you, I would be contacting all types of media and banding together with other sellers that his has happened to; so many are saying that they never received the warning emails....this is ridiculous....I bet you every aspect of this was automated and there was not any person reviewing it....Thanks for keeping commerce "human" Josh.....

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Sun Feb 23 16:03:11 2020

Etsy's corporate headquarters are located in Brooklyn, New York, so I'd start by filing a complaint with the New York Attorney General's Office:

Then I'd file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission and the Better Business Bureau.

Krista, you don't indicate what city you live in, but if you have a local news station or newspaper, see if they have a consumer advocate on staff that could publicize your story. I'm sure like eBay, Etsy doesn't want negative publicity, and if they think your story will negatively affect their bottom line, they will be quick to work things out with you.

by: Vintagerunsdeep This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 23 20:46:35 2020

Acrually @feelingfroggy Krista has been 100% transparent. Today she featured a handful of shops facing suspension and same stories coming out of the woodwork. I challenge you to find a hole in her story. Rhe new etsy regime is pretty bad.

by: Gemz This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 00:32:18 2020

This just seems like something is not being said. What were the actual violations they closed you down on? The exact reasons, not a vague explanation of them. If you are producing money like that, then they wouldn't close a shop for no good reason. After all, it affects them as well.

by: Ready Goods Company This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 00:33:05 2020

This happened to me years ago only on EBay. I was shut down with little explanation as to why. It immediately occurred to me that if I had fully depended on the monies earned as my sole income source, that I would be up a creek without a paddle.
I read that sellers should always direct their customers to their own website and gain sales there. We are far too dependent on these selling sites that can truly dump us instantly as proven in the account found here.
My heart and prayers go out to you, friend.❤️

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 02:53:51 2020

I'm so sorry to hear that Etsy has shut down yet another high-volume shop. However  I am *not* surprised that you can't find most of the emails which Etsy claims to have sent. I have heard this same complaint dozens of times over the years. Maybe Etsy *does* send these emails, but it seems VERY weird that soooo many sellers never receive them.

If you do contact the media, be sure to mention that even cases closed in the seller's favor count against the seller's ODR!

This user has validated their user name. by: Leafgreen

Mon Feb 24 05:32:32 2020

Hi Krista. @iheartjacksparrow's suggestion is excellent. In addition, you can call a plaintiff lawyer who normally represents individuals/small businesses against large companies. They may represent you for a contingency fee (with no upfront fee from you). Or if they believe there is sufficient evidence of wrongdoing on a large scale with dozens of other Etsy shops, then file a CLASS ACTION lawsuit against them. That'll also get you the press coverage you need.
Hey Etsy: haha! You went to far this time!

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 05:50:28 2020

^^
This.

by: SellerGirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 06:33:51 2020

We need a sellers' union.  We need to organize to fight the unreasonable and capricious whims of online marketplaces and force them to start to be fair. The only way to do this is to organize like a labor union.

by: Vintagerunsdeep This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 06:44:39 2020

Gemz, @bedbuggsboutique has all the details on her instagram. Basically google ETSY ODR aka 1 strike rule. 100s of shops being closed down. One customer opened 2 cases as she grew impatient in the middle of a holiday 20" snow.storm.  that's what happened. Etsy is not following their stated policies on the process of shop closures and then ignoring their frantic customers. So, zero seller protection.  She spoke to the director of trust and safety Corine and that was a joke.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 08:04:57 2020

@Sellergirl, nope what sellers need is a competitive platform to sell on.  A site that will put Etsy to shame.

by: felyne This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 08:05:20 2020

I saw a show on TV a while back where a law firm started in some state in the south for sellers on eBay whose stores were shut down with no reason. Now this. Imagine, a law firm for the company's incompetence. It was the same ting, seller after seller with no explanation. Etsy owes u an explanation, they own any seller an explanation so that the seller can correct  or dispute their claims. Something as nebulous as u received is unprofessional and lazy on their part. I hope u get some resolve and I hope everyone comments on their forum about the injustice of this. If they're still using ur photos for promotion, you might have something there to fight back with. Take screenshots. Good luck.

by: Vintagerunsdeep This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 08:43:06 2020

@chicago48

I have a plethora of ideas on a vintage selling platform.  I'm looking into this currently.  I've been sling since 98 and been on them all and 25 plus years in corporate so I have a handle on this. #peoplefirst

Vintagerunsdeepshop@gmail.com

by: Sierra This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 09:17:31 2020

@Vintagerunsdeep - Unless you've got as much $$ as Bloomberg (or at least Steyer), it's going to be a long road.  I know someone who has been trying to get a site going for a couple of years now ... MakersFront ... take a look. Maybe you could work with him?

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 24 09:17:42 2020

@vintageuserunsdeep.

Nowhere in my reply did I accuse the OP of anything or any holes. I said there is more to this than is being told and I still stand by my comment.

1 2 3  [Next Page]