Tue Dec 15 2020 22:43:15

Mercari Makeup Transaction Gets Ugly

By: Reader

I thought I would give Mercari a try. I quit Amazon a couple years ago, I still have my Etsy and eBay accounts. I sell for a living and have done pretty good. But of course comes unacceptable situations like this.

I went on an Ulta Haul and bought too much makeup because it was on sale. Meh. I got more Ulta points out of the deal I figured.

So, after it was sitting in the Ulta bag still after 3 months, I listed a huge lot for sale. I made sure to list the colors, I have an inhouse professional photo room. I always make sure to put expiration dates. I always, always, take a black marker and strike the UPC code to prevent abuse return too.

In my listing I made clear I can not accept returns especially due to the pandemic. I ask that if a customer has never used the brands and likes to return all the time to please not buy off me. That last sentence has inspired other sellers to put the same thing in. Buyers understand they are getting a deal. My feedback across all boards 4.99 out of 5.00 I am not bragging just stating facts.

So I list my listing and of course I am bombarded with low ball offers "just because" as one buyer says; "Mercari encourages us to negotiate."

Anyhow after 3 days my $250 makeup lot sold for $90 + $10 shipping - what I listed it at. I thought cool, made $30 off it. The day it was delivered the buyer started a return.

Mercari has no system for opening a case - nothing. They can send you anything back in the mail. She sends it back and half the stuff is missing!!!!! There was so much rolled up craft paper to make the weight heavier. When I say so much craft paper I mean at least 4 rolls crumbled up. I was livid.

I was livid because of course, after it was marked delivered back to me the buyer was automatically refunded. I had no way to dispute - half the stuff was missing as I said above.

I took the rest of my listings down. Screw that. I put a message up on my bio explaining the reason I left and gave out the offender's username (she has a shop believe it or not) and you would not believe the number of messages I got on the other platforms (I sell under one name). This not nice person does it because she knows she can get away with it.
Amy

Perminate Link for Mercari Makeup Transaction Gets Ugly   Mercari Makeup Transaction Gets Ugly

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 16 11:51:54 2020

I'm sorry this happened to you. This is, unfortunately, the kind of scam that occurs on all the platforms, particularly Ebay. I've had to come to accept that 50% of the returns I get will have been cannibalized for whatever the buyer decides they want to keep. That's IF I get the return at all, which is also frequently the case.

Unfortunately this kind of cost due to 'shrink' has to be built into the cost of the product, and everybody else has to pay the cost of the buyer's free ride.

It especially hurts when this is a high ticket item, I know. Next time don't large lot it, sell them one or two at a time, that way the possibility of a large scam is less tempting to unscrupulous buyers.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Dec 16 14:22:33 2020

Mercari's returns are a double edged sword.

While they are 4 days for opening a case (good for sellers), the other 1/2 is that theres zero real process.

Theres no real way to contact anyone, theres no CS agent in charge - its all "bot-tomated".

Sorry that it happened to you - other platforms eBay/Amazon are just as bad if not worse (try getting a return under eBay managed payments)....

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Wed Dec 16 18:39:08 2020

File a mail fraud case. Your buyer is a thief.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Wed Dec 16 20:58:03 2020

Rexford is correct. File a mail fraud complaint again the buyer. Also, find out which police station handles her address and file a theft report. Be sure to advise her about what you are doing as she may realize that it's better to return the remainder of the items rather than face possible jail time.

by: BristolMax This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 01:17:08 2020

I have had to do the mail fraud route and the problem is when you get the return,you have to document with pictures everything from the sealed package to it opened and you have to inventory everything before and after etc,it is a nightmare

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 02:13:02 2020

“I sell for a living and have done pretty good.“

Sellers who sell ‘professionally’ must be prepared to deal with what is essentially ‘shoplifting’. Because it happens. Whether or not one’s ‘venue-partner’ of choice has any ‘additional protection’ in place - (clue: professional sellers research first and thus will learn they don’t) - that is not relevant to the need to protect one’s self as best able though, and be prepared to defend one’s self from any ‘impact’ to the extent possible.

Start with examining the ‘challenge’ flag waved in the face of the potential would-be ‘serial returner’. The target phrase that starts with ‘if’ and ends in ‘don’t buy from me.’ It may be inspirational, but it isn’t very professional. It also serves no purpose on a venue that controls fund release and refund on return, no matter how ‘invalid’ in the end analysis. That’s why it’s a target, and makes a seller look like one.

What one can do however, is state within their ‘terms of service’ how fraud returns will be dealt with. Reported to the venue (regardless of ‘effectiveness’), prosecuted by theft report - law enforcement, PIS, ICC, etc, litigated in court. Then, be prepared to actually do that when it occurs. And you don’t need big red flashing font either. The finer print, the better actually. It’s like a whisper in Church, gets more attention than the shouted sermon.

Sure, there are costs involved. Costs beyond the ‘value’ of the goods involved. Those who’s livelihoods is in ‘sales’ know that, and accept it. And prepare for it, so to confront the fraudsters who count on their acts being too ‘expensive’ to prosecute. That’s what is meant by “cost of” doing business.

And also know it’s tax deductibility. All of it, not just the zero sum ‘refund’ part - because even if you ‘win’ there will be cost. But you can minimize, even recoup fully depending on your tax position(s). Think of it as kind of a delayed satisfaction. Perhaps that will help assuage some of the ‘drama’ and emotional impacts that should be ideally minimized in business, but hey, we’re only human, right? (???).

One piece of this fable a bit unclear though - no returns due to ‘pandemic’. Yet, ‘accidental overstock’ resales are ok? Moot question when ‘inventory acquisition’ is professionally planned. Of course, you may not accidentally be able to acquire any (under the table? Non-transferable on resale?) merchandise ‘bonus points’ that way. Meh.

I know. ‘Career’ advice instead of condolences. You have the latter, this is a tough business. Perhaps the former may benefit someone less ‘experienced’.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 03:27:02 2020

^^
I'm on Mercari and this is not true.  If you're an experienced seller on Mercari, you know 1) note that you do not accept offers - as I do; and 2) Mercari has a "floor" price to activate.
I get sales from Mercari constantly even more than I do on Ebay.  I like Mercari because there are [practically] NO Chinese and foreign sellers.  And they don't have a way for you to drop ship from their site.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 11:48:00 2020

@chicago48

mercari DOES encourage haggling,  that's a FACT,  You can even read it on almost every listing "happy to bundle" "make me an offer"
It's the wild, wild west, no real customer service. And while it has practically no Chinese sellers, it is full of stolen stuff.

As there are many complaints on Ebay, well deserved, they are a couple steps above Mercari.

Not to mention how the cheat the postal service,  Every package I receive is "first class" while weighing on the average 3-4 lbs.

Right now, their fees are almost the same as other platforms, so not really a deal.

The "return" window of 3 days is the same scam as the "no returns" on ebay, you can go to your cc.

Not sold on Mercari

by: Shay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 13:36:57 2020

I have had this happen on Mecari. They always just check “item not as described” and Mecari has no way for you contact them as in Mercari.  Go to their contact page and see what I mean

by: Shay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 13:38:43 2020

Filing a mail fraud complaint? Good luck with that.  If you get the label from Mecari you are screwed because they want a reciept for the purchase of postage.  I have gotten no where with mail fraud cases

by: Shay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 13:40:14 2020

Chicago48.
It doesn’t matter if you don’t accept offers, buyers still message and ask you for cheaper prices.  And all a buyer has to do is mark the item as not described.  I have had similar situations happen so for you to say it’s not true is only shaming the victim.

by: Shay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 13:52:36 2020

Also Chicago48
Your comment is self-serving and just rude. You are basically calling the victim a liar.  Shame on you.
Just because something never happens to you doesn’t mean it does not happen to other people.
Does Mercari even have a way for a seller to turn off offers? If they do, a buyer  can still message you and ask for  a lower price. I had more buyers messaging me for lower prices than actual offers.  So just stop. The messaging for listing is always on so if a buyer has a question. So your statement you can not accept offers doesn’t hold water.
And the whole tax liability is ridiculous.  The point here is buyers are allowed to get away with this with no way for sellers to dispute.  There is no way to contact Mercari or have them step in.  You can write in your listing you don’t take returns but Mercari doesn’t care, they promoted their platform with the ability to return.
How can you say this situation isn’t true? I myself have had similar situations like this happen are you gonna sit and type away and tell me it didn’t happen?! You must work Mercari to leave such a comment like that.  It’s sickening.  Your line about being a professional seller as if you are saying “I am up here and you are down here” The OP said they sell for a living.

To the person who this happen too, I believe you 100% I will never sell on Mercari ever again.  There is no way to contact a human and after having a similar situation ($15 order) and not being able to contact Mercari I shut down.

by: Vox29 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 15:35:10 2020

I signed on to Mercari, and after a New York minute got off again. Why? Because once your item is sold, you have to ship it first, then wait for payment. I don't know if they changed that, but I don't go unpaid in the first place. Mercari is a new site but their problem is as was described by the OP. It's all automated, and there is no customer service contact. If it looks too good to be true, that's because it does. I prefer eBay to Mercari anyday, even though it has its own share of problems.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 17:41:01 2020

Oh my, just because MY experience has been good on Mercari, I'm the bad person.  I have been shipping items out more often than I do on Ebay.  I've only had a couple of returns all legitimate.  I like the 3 day return.  In fact, I just had a buyer ask for a return yesterday, I approved, and Mercari is sending them postage.  I've never had issues with Mercari, but of course, I'm very descriptive.  I also have "no offers accepted" on MOST of my products.  The customer can still ask me about OFFERS and we have a back & forth whether I will accept an offer or not.
But for the most part, whatever fixed price I have online, I get that price.
I guess none of you heard of Offerup or Letgo?  Or how about Craigslist?  The buyer haggles on those sites.  In fact, I've had it happen on CL that the buyer will come to my place to buy and haggle for a lower price during the transaction.  I think across the board, except for Amazon, all sites allow for "haggling."

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 17:42:29 2020

^^
I have excellent customer service through emails with Mercari.  It usually takes them 24 hours to get back.
It's gotten so with Ebay I have to twitter them with my issues to get anyone to pay attention.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 17:44:38 2020

The 3 day return on mercari is no different than the 7 day return on Poshmark, where I am also.  The buyer has a short window to inspect and return on both sites.  I like that compared to 30 days + with EB & AMZ.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 21:14:19 2020

@chicago
do you realize that the return policy is meaning less whether 3 days or 30?  just make a claim through your cc.
as far as cs, you can't get a live person, and their answers appear like stock answers.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 21:50:46 2020

Fashionista, sorry, but I get very good service from Mercari, all be it via Email.  That's been my experience.
But I also have to email Poshmark and Tradesy, and now it looks like I have to twitter Ebay to get answers.

by: fashionista This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 22:05:25 2020

i've never used Poshmark, but I have the others, Ebay I get a live person , most of the time, I would say 90%, Tradesy has very good email communication, detailed, not canned, but I stopped selling there because payouts take forever.
I'm glad you've had a good experience with them, that's not what I hear from many sellers,

by: Shay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Dec 17 22:26:19 2020

Hey Chicago,
The op said;
“The day it was delivered the buyer started a return.

You say,
“ Also, Mercari gives the buyer 3 days to try the item and return it.  After 3 days the return window is closed.  This is much better than 30 days.  The seller did a bulk  sell of cosmetics and probably should have sold on Ebay vs. Mercari.”

it might be a good idea to read what the OP said .The Op said the day it was delivered a return was started.  I assume the buyer just marked “not as described” for it to be permitted since I had something similar happen.

Also, JUST  BECAUSE YOU PUT NO OFFERS IN YOUR LISTINGS doesn’t mean all potential buyers read the actual listing description.  Getting low ball offfefs via message and through the offer way is ANNOYING.

You are the bad person because you are trying to invalidate the OP’s experience.  And all your rebuttals are garbage.