Thu Nov 26 2020 13:34:12

eBay Seller Feels Throttled During the Holidays

By: Reader

I have been selling on eBay for many years. After some very decent sales in September and October, I saw sales fall off starting in early November. This is a pattern that I see every year in early November and sales normally recover in late January. This leads me to my question: does eBay throttle small sellers during the holidays?

The fact that I see this pattern every year makes me wonder. As I listened to the news this morning, one story mentioned that online sales are up 30% or more. One would think that I would benefit from this robust uptick.

I would love to know if other small sellers experience this right before and during the holiday season, especially within the early November to late January window.

Signed,
Name withheld due to fear of retaliation by eBay

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Feels Throttled During the Holidays   eBay Seller Feels Throttled During the Holidays

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 28 08:31:02 2020

Depends on what you're selling I think.  We sell antiques and collectibles, and usually "close" our shop from just before Thanksgiving to dec 26th as the market for our items is pretty much dead in that period.  Nothing to do with ebay, it's across all our internet venues.  This year we'll keep open a bit longer just to see but we're not expecting anything and actually, we'd just as soon not have to ship during this period.

by: SoniaD This user has validated their user name.

Sat Nov 28 08:35:46 2020

Then there's usually a "dead cat bounce" from December 26th to 31st (presumably with Xmas gift money) then nothing in sales till early February.  That's when we do all our changes, review inventory etc.

by: mazelgirl This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 00:20:14 2020

No, I don't think it's true.  It all depends on the activity in your account.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Nov 30 01:55:14 2020

It would make no sense for Ebay to do that since Small Sellers makes up the majority of the sellers on Ebay.  As others have said it is likely what your are selling.

It is a bit late for this season, but come next September you may consider adding some other things to what you sell that are in demand through the holidays.  You might see a positive difference.

Late October and early November was likely a little difficult for many sellers.  Buyers were all wrapped up in the Presidential election and less time to spend shopping as they were watching the news to see what was going to happen next.

by: Ladygray This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 05:17:18 2020

Same. I moved my items to another platform and sales bounced back immediately.  I now use eBay for only niche items I know need a wider audience.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 08:03:22 2020

I always hear it's about what you are selling and in some cases that may be true - but there is no explanation on why the exact same items are selling on other platforms and not on Ebay. People still buy and give collectibles and HTF items at the holidays but Ebay tends to push NWT items at the holidays and I know a couple of the above posters sell exactly that and why their sales don't suffer.

by: Duper2019 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 08:45:26 2020

I sell antiques and collectibles and I am doing quite well right now. And usually January- March are killer for me. But lancecorp is correct...the NWT seems to be what eBay does feature and push. Trying to be like Amazon.

by: Vox29 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Nov 30 16:40:06 2020

I should think it could be what you're selling. I've got something on auction and buyers are offering lower prices than what I've set, but it is encouraging. Go look at your active listings and see how many views you have gotten, and it will tell you what kind of things are popular right now. Don't go with expectations.

by: onlinesales This user has validated their user name.

Tue Dec 1 22:14:59 2020

I think the visibity is down because so many sellers are using sponsored listings which is simply increasing the price of their item so Ebay gets more. Long-term it will destroy them as it is no longer the case that Ebay is always cheaper than Amazon. Yet with Amazon I can get two day shipping no problemo in most cases.