Sat Jan 4 2020 20:43:44

How eBay Counts Business Days for Its Returns Policy

By: Reader

I was trying to close out a return because the buyer hadn't sent it back yet. eBay states that the buyer has 5 business days to send a return, then the seller can call and close the case on the 6th business day. This has been in place for quite some time, but I learned that is not always the case.

I had a buyer open a return on Saturday Nov 16th due to "does not fit." On Monday Nov 25th I called eBay twice and was told they have until the end of the day, the 6th business day and the 10 actual day. I said wait, I thought it was 5 business days? They said if a return is processed on the weekend, then eBay doesn't process the return until Monday, which they then don't count Monday as one of the 5 business days.

I've been doing this a long time and haven't heard of this one before. Really ridiculous.

Just thought I would share this with other sellers in case they were not aware of this for all those returns coming this holiday season.
Joe

Perminate Link for How eBay Counts Business Days for Its Returns Poli   How eBay Counts Business Days for Its Returns Poli

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jan 5 06:56:55 2020

I’ve seen and experienced this before myself

eBay expands the definition of either the 5 days OR the 30 to make sure buyers are happy (and to screw sellers).

In my case the 30 didn’t magically include Saturday’s and Sunday’s since “they aren’t shipping days”.

There’s no one to complain to, as the people overseas get demotions in rank and salary for finding and helping sellers.

It’s yet another sleazy eBay mafia move - what do you expect from Cappo Jordan.

Oh and please do t bother the Sleeping Griff, he’s busy pretending to be in charge of “seller protection” aka his golden parachute.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jan 5 13:21:59 2020

Many times I've had a return ship on the day it was due to be delivered back to me. Doesn't matter. If it shows in transit, even on the last day, eBay will accept it.

Only had one time a CS actually sided with me because I accept 30 day returns but then they refunded them anyway. They don't have nor want to have a proper process to handle it.

by: ChristyM This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 6 00:18:27 2020

For some time now it has been 5 business days for the tracking to be updated from the buyer, then you have to wait an additional 5 days for a total of 10 business days.  This has been this way since back in 2017

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 6 03:13:15 2020

This is just another case of BAD information from the Ebay call center.  If anyone else has this happen, find a polite way to get off the phone.  Hang up and call back.  The CSR was just wrong.  Sad it happens so often.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jan 6 03:15:57 2020

@ChristyM

I don't many cases over the years and I've never had to wait 10 days on any claim that Ebay hasn't done a special extension for a buyer for one reason or another.

Ebay's written rule is 5 business days.  So the seller should be able to call on the 6th business day and get the claim closed in the seller's favor.  I've done this many times as have lots of other sellers.

It is unfortunate that the OP got an ill-informed customer service rep.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 6 05:06:53 2020

I myself could not have a simple does not fit return closed out for 30 days after the return was requested despite how many times I called - so all situations are not the same. What Ebay says and what Ebay does are two different things. Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean others haven't.

by: HardWorkingSeller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 6 06:39:09 2020

The return case tells you the date that the buyer must ship the item by.  That may be based on business days etc plus bear in mind that dates are set per Pacific Time, but whatever it is I will always call eBay CS first thing in the morning of the next day if the item hasn't been shipped and get the case closed in my favor.  I've never had any problems getting that done in a couple of minutes.  The system works OK as far as I'm concerned.

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jan 6 15:37:32 2020

eBay makes everything up as they go. It's all set up to favor themselves on every detail. It's like this all over the site and company. More money for eBay to steal from everyone in the long run that way.

by: Rocko This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jan 9 09:43:15 2020

Just wait until they have forced all sellers into Managed Payments! I can see them (fleabay employees ) placing orders from sellers  then canceling. just to keep the fees.Standard MO for that company.