Sun Sept 29 2019 00:43:42

eBay Froze Funds over Managed Payments Verification

By: Reader

I feel I have to let anyone who will listen to hear what happened to me. I am a 20 year seller on eBay, Powerseller and top rated. They too made it sound like I had to opt in on managed payments by a date in Oct or else.

I decided to go ahead and do it because I didn't want to be burdened with learning a new system right before the holiday season when I am the busiest. It has been the worst thing I could have ever done. Besides waiting several days for my money to be deposited into my bank (they won't use PayPal for this) I had to pay for my shipping labels out of my bank account since payments did not go to PayPal but to eBay's pocket.

If you have limited funds you won't be able to make a shipping label, so beware of that. If you wait until eBay finally gets your money deposited, you will be dinged for late shipment unless you find other means to pay for the shipping label. Ok, so I was not happy about that, but I was already in the system.

Yesterday I received an email warning me I had until Oct 21 to upload a photo id, that photo id could only be a government id, driver's license or passport!

Right away a red flag came up for me, but the clincher is at this point, they told me they were holding any and all funds in my managed pending payments from eBay until I complied with this!!!!!! Keep in mind, they have my tax id, SS number, bank account, charge card and full address and name, date of birth and phone number.

My money is frozen from me and sitting in eBay's pocket. I immediately ended all of my listings since any future sales would be held in their account and not mine since my money is being held "hostage".

I decided to give them a copy of my driver's license as they requested. I covered over the bar codes, my weight, hair color, height and eye color. It still showed my photo, state, date of birth and address. They rejected it because they said they could not read it. I again sent a larger copy and once again it was rejected. Why do they need my bar code or anything else? What does my appearance have to do with selling? Here is their last note to me:

"What if I don't do this?
Your funds will be on hold until you fix this. Also, you need to do this by Oct 21, 2019 or you may risk losing your selling privileges."

So I tried to close my store, seems I am stuck with it to the end of October because they are charging me and not letting me cancel it. I have a week left this month that I have paid for, but guess I am locked in to another month whether I like it or not.

Please tell everyone to NOT opt in to this managed payments because if you do, your money is never really yours and they will use it as blackmail against you.

As an elderly person I am on Social Security alone and eBay has always helped pull me through for bills and heating costs through the winter. Those days are gone now.
D.

Perminate Link for eBay Froze Funds over Managed Payments Verificatio   eBay Froze Funds over Managed Payments Verificatio

by: TheStoneColdTruth This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 02:38:39 2019

Or you can just do what is required and call it good. There are tons of companies that get information that we feel they don't need, but if it's what they require, then you either do it or you don't.

I guess I don't see what the issue is.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 04:40:01 2019

YEOW !    I already expected Mangled Payments to be BAD, but not THIS bad.

This should be ALL the evidence ANYBODY needs to know that Mangled Payments is a CLEAR and PRESENT DANGER to one's wallet, current wealth and future wealth.

Mangled Payments are a CANCER upon the body of eBay and is to be avoided at all costs.

Everybody at eBay responsible for this FUBAR program should immediately RESIGN and EMPTY OUT THEIR DESKS.

All these AirHeads at eBay need to ACCEPT that they "fouled up", apologize to all eBay sellers / buyers and NEGOTIATE an acceptable compromise to KEEP using PayPal.

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 07:19:19 2019

There’s no way they would accept the ID with cross outs. You guys are all screwed. There are easier ways to make money than to be a slave to this company that doesn’t give a damn about you, you are their worker ants, and they will crush you when you step out of line. I really feel bad for small private sellers. Your not making money. The fees you pay them are probably more than you make. What they are creating is this giant barrel of money. It will ALWAYS fill faster than they pay out. So, they will take your money use it for their gain, and trickle it out to you. Makes their bottom line look much better by billions. Good luck for the holiday season. The stress levels will be highest this year as there are more unknowns now than ever.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 07:28:27 2019

Whats the problem. They have everything else and want a copy of your drivers license. That doesn't mean a driver's license with blacked out areas. Get real. Just send them the copy of a clean license and move on OR play their game and leave. They don't care.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 07:57:55 2019

I suspect it has something to do with Know Your Customer.  It's required, thanks to that wonderful piece of legislation known as the Patriot Act.  Should you disagree with it, please contact your Congressperson and ask them to revisit the issue.  Otherwise, you have to comply.  Though it may be insidious, it's on the part of the Federal Government, not on eBay.  I'll keep the politics to a minimum, but don't we all feel safer knowing that the reader has to hand that information over to a third party?  If we don't all send eBay (and other institutions that deal with payments and deposits)  our information as required by law, then the terrorists win.   Ahhhh...the Land of the Free... (now let me get down off my Libertarian soapbox and we can all return to our regular eBay bashing).

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 08:20:37 2019

The funny part about all of this is that if it was my bank i would have zero issue with handing them my drivers license so they could copy it.  The problem is, at least for me, its Ebay,. you know the company that gladly sells your information to other companies and who knows what or who else.  Also, we already know they were hacked big time in 2014 and have probably been hacked since but I am sure that Wenig would never again release that information for fear the stock price would have completely tanked.

Who knows what things will be like by time I am forced into Mangled Payments?  I do not expect this requirement to go away just because that loser CEO Wenig is gone as Elliott was also in favor of having this in place due to the massive income increase.  Hopefully before it is my turn to bend over and be added to Mangled Payments they will made a lot of changes in who is designing it, and have checked for all the back doors that have probably been put in place since the CEO was asleep at the wheel or at the company bar.

Ebay has not earned anybodys trust based on their history so i completely understand this sellers reluctance to give them this piece of information, but they do have the requirement to be sure they know who they are dealing with.  I am sure that this information was supplied to Paypal at some point in time also, but the difference is that most people trust Paypal because they have been much more transparent about things than Ebay ever was under Donohoe or Wenig.  This might be the straw that breaks Ebays back when all is said and done.  All those years of lying and stealing from their sellers may catch up with them when MP is forced on Sellers and they decide to retire or move all of their products off of Ebay rather than supply Ebay with all of this additional information because they just no longer trust them with it.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 08:45:33 2019

"I suspect it has something to do with Know Your Customer. It's required, thanks to that wonderful piece of legislation known as the Patriot Act. "

BS

Paypal never required it, Applepay (as an example) doesnt require it - so why should eBay?

If you have been a Paypal customer in the past then 1) they know who you are already (eBay and Paypal STILL share computer data on you 2) you have a history on BOTH eBay and Paypal, so whats the point? 3) if you've done over a certain amount you may have already even paid taxes (been issued a 1099) .... and more

eBay isnt required by law to be in the data collection business. Neither they nor Paypal nor Adyen are licensed banks (eBay is nothing, Paypal is a money lender (like Western Union) and Adyen is a foreign entity.)

This isnt a political discussion - its why a 2bit electronics flea market company needs that much data to give you money thats ALREADY yours.

And of course as stated above - anyone that trusts eBay has some SEVERE mental illness issues that cant be solved on Ina's platform.

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 09:26:57 2019

Well I guess one could stand on their soapbox and rant about what ebay wants while the bills come in and don't get paid. OR THAT PERSON COULD just comply and continue on paying their bills. If your not happy thats fine but if you want to cut off your nose to spite Ebay it won't work. Ebay doesn't care if you send the info or not. Don't send it and they will make sure you don't do business on Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sun Sep 29 15:53:06 2019

I'll send them my ID with a photo shopped photo of Devin Wenig on it. . . .

How the hell would they know what I look like?

They don't, and if it's up to me they won't!

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 16:34:39 2019

Were the potential for 'freezing funds' made clear in the case of eBay deciding it should apply for these situations?

Is there language anywhere in the UA for MP that explicitly states this requirement and consequence for 'incompletely' applying?

What gives a money processor the right to do that in any event? Because alternately, it's simple extortion.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Sep 29 19:14:17 2019

Some of you seem to be missing that A) this ID requirement was sprung on them _after_ they were locked into Mangled Payments and B) they will demand something else once they get this.  But do keep painting OP as the unreasonable party here if it makes you feel better about yourself.

by: I Must be Crazy This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 19:46:27 2019

I have said it before, and it remains a simple fact:

Ebay does not know what they are doing. Because of their ignorance, they are requiring evidence willy nilly to try to cover their own behind. I am sure they have no idea why or for what purpose they want this information.

Now, before anyone jumps on me with the obvious about the Patriot Act, anti money laundering, terrorism funding and the like; yes I get it. Those guidelines are out there and many of them should be. However, all of that vetting and verification is handled by the CHARTED BANKS. Further, as Pace mentioned, if you have had a Paypal account for any period of time, it is a safe bet that you have been checked and double checked already.

Ebay's role as skimmer at large of funds that pass through from Adyen to sellers does not require such a level of scrutiny.

by: lancecorp This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 05:24:28 2019

Etsy uses Ayden and no photo id was required to open an acct.

by: marty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 06:08:58 2019

With all due respect, use your CC to buy labels. You can earn 1.5% cashback on most. I am not in managed payments and have never used cash in my accounts to pay for them.

BTW, use Pirateship.com, their international package rates are 40% cheaper than ebay's or stamp.com's.

by: Davina T This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 10:42:34 2019

I don't sell on ebay any more, and have no reason to sign up for mangled delayment$. I am a buyer only. If they insist I jump into mangled delayment$ I will close my account, and open a new one as "the little shopper" from a tiny town. No more oafish manipulation$ from the greed head$. They can go suck on a dill pickle.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Sep 30 11:37:55 2019

@Davina T
I think you are all set regarding MP.  If you don't sell anymore, have no intention of ever selling again, the worst they can do is disable your selling abilities.  Since you buy only, they are beating a dead horse.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 15:02:02 2019

Been in MP for months with no problems.  Funds generally show up 2nd day after sending.  Yep, I gave them whatever verification they required.  eBay funds go into a dedicated (free) checking account at my credit union and then transferred to my regular checking account.
I'm very satisfied with MP.  Note that eBay does NOT process payments.  Adyen, a company with 1000s of clients, including eBay, processes payments.  All eBay does is receive the payments and forward them on to sellers, a pretty easy process, which, for me, has worked perfectly.

by: a_c_green This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 15:58:28 2019

I'm trying to think of what they could possibly want from my driver's license that they don't have already... at least, stuff that matters.

For example, they already have my address. They can have my birth date, as that's been floating around the internet since forever anyway. I doubt they care what color my eyes are, and they can assume my hair is gray due to my birth date. My listed weight is... optimistic if not accurate... but again, who cares.

Most importantly, my Social Security number is not shown on licenses anymore (in our state at least), and that's about the only thing of value I can think of that they might not have already.

So I guess I'm not seeing the risk here. If anyone can offer more details, please do.