Wed Sept 25 2019 17:00:05

Poor Usability Leads to Higher Fees Going to eBay

By: Reader

I have been with eBay since 1997 as a buyer and seller. I mostly sell now, just to reduce my oversized model train collection because of my age. Currently I have several listings for parts for $1.50 and up.

Many buyers do not use the cart, or do not know how or for some reason are unable to use it in order to ask for an invoice so I can send them an adjusted combined shipment cost.

I have many buyers that trust me to refund their excess shipping they pay, which I always do.

The rip here is eBay loves it when a buyer buys 10 items from me and pays immediately, thus paying $50 for shipping when it actually will only be about $8.00 or less - because eBay keeps $5 for doing nothing rather than the accurate 80 cents or less.

I think this really borders on thievery. eBay should not be allowed to take their 10% cut like this. They do of course, and now PayPal beginning Oct 11th will not refund the monies they are not entitled to.

Since eBay does not seem to be trustworthy anymore, perhaps we need an advocate to step in, maybe monitoring shipping collections, then issue the 10% fee to eBay when the final shipping figures are in instead of the 'ol fox in the henhouse routine.

Or to just simply enforce them to refund what is rightfully not theirs to keep.

I am not wanting to stir up a ton more negative notes, as there are more than plenty to go around already, we all know eBay is badly broken.

I am hoping somehow someone has a way or connections that could actually do something about this. Perhaps a request signed by enough sellers to push for action.

Open to ideas.
Respectfully
R.

Perminate Link for Poor Usability Leads to Higher Fees Going to eBay   Poor Usability Leads to Higher Fees Going to eBay

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Wed Sep 25 18:49:54 2019

Unless those model train parts are very heavy, you can just add a combined shipping rule on eBay.  The Help section can explain it, somewhat.  That way eBay checkout will take the first shipping fee and add either zero or another figure you think is appropriate for each extra item.

I do a flat rate of $5 and buy all you want, no added shipping.  This encourages multiple item orders, which are always welcome.  I figure the higher order total will make up for subsidizing a bit of the shipping, instead of the buyer asking for a quantity discount.  Basically the same thing.  I try to bump my prices up a dollar or two to help cover the weight of items piling on.

Doesn't work so well with heavy items, though, but you can just opt to not put those into the combined-eligible pool.

by: Mamak This user has validated their user name.

Fri Sep 27 10:49:29 2019

I have items weighing less than 16 oz to 3 lbs that buyers often want combined and some are bulky.  It is not easy to use the markdown tool.  If I a buyer gets grossly overcharged, I refund the buyer based on the retail rate (not my discounted rate) to compensate for the fees.  It's not fair, feels like theft but it's what eBay does to compensate for their lack of ability to grow sales on the platform.

by: TheStoneColdTruth This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 02:32:05 2019

Sounds more like you need to learn how to set up multi-item shipping. It's actually not hard at all.

You can even do it by weight.

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Sun Sep 29 14:17:25 2019

None of the above will work if the buyer does not use the shopping cart or ebay puts a mysterious "immediate payment required" option on an item....happens to me all the time as a seller....
I write the buyer and ask why they did not use the cart....never get a response.

by: usaretired This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 01:14:36 2019

I have the same situation of buyers not requesting total and buying several items and refunding them the difference of retail shipping amount. The multi ship rule does not work if it is several first class weight items that combined weight is over 16 ounces. For example, the system will combine/calculate a 7 ounce and a 6 ounce item and charge the 13 ounce rate. But a 9 ounce and 8 ounce item will not and the buyer is charged both the 9 ounce shipping amount and the 8 ounce amounts. As to fees on shipping, eBay will refund back the difference in fees for the refund. I call eBay the 1st of every month and go over all the shipping refunds I had for the previous month and I get amount credited. If I refunded excess shipping back of $10.00 then I am credited with 92 cents. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up and most months at least $15.00. Ebay will not do this automatically - you have to ask.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Sep 30 01:43:31 2019

If they won't use the cart to combine purchases, and presuming you are already set up to combine similar purchases, that limits your options.  When refunding, alert the buyer that you incur fees and extra time having to return excess shipping paid, and in the future, you will have to deduct that from the refund.  Now they are informed.  When they do it again, withhold some for your ebay fees and time.  You don't want to discourage multi-item orders, but you shouldn't get penalized for them, either.

by: portagelakes This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 07:31:23 2019

I found out the first year eBay charged 10% for shipping that you need to call them for the credit.
I now put the following on the first line of my descriptions: Combine Shipping Discounts MUST Use The Add-To-Cart feature then request a total to receive the discount.

by: JoeysZoo This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 08:13:24 2019

I buy a LOT on eBay.  I have noticed that 9 times out of 10 you CANNOT ask for an invoice on items in your cart.  It will say something about combined shipping is not available because it’s already discounted or because it requires immediate payment.  I sell what I buy on another venue, so I know exactly how much it costs to ship those items.  Nothing makes me more irritated than being grossly overcharged for shipping.  Buyers are not dumb. Everyone should have their items set up so that the buyer can use the shopping cart and request an invoice.  Even if you think you do, test it to be sure it works.  I’m fairly certain eBay changed something a few months back that broke the cart.  If the buyer pays everything separately, it’s easy—refund the shipping difference minus 10% for fees.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 08:52:22 2019

this is one of their biggest flaws in my opinion. I can not allow eBay to combine shipping as I sell things of greatly differing sizes and weights.
The other problem I find is eBay should have a shipping calculation available if you are shipping in more than 1 box.

by: ellielantern This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 12:48:23 2019

This same issue has been hampering me for quite some time.
I can't help but believe that Ebay makes it hard and time consuming to call and go over every refunded shipping overcharge given to my customers. It often takes an hour of time to ultimately get my $20 or whatever in refunded fees for the month.
It's hardly worth the time and agrivation, but imagine all of the money Ebay keeps if thousands like me give up because of their ineptness.

This issue, and the fact that my email marketing capabilities (that come with a store subscription) have not been working for over a year are maddening.
I can't tell you how many calls, how many hours I've spent talking to Ebay reps and supervisors about these 2 issues to no avail.

by: AreSee This user has validated their user name.

Mon Sep 30 14:18:12 2019

Thanks to all that have responded.
Lightning was helpful with good clear info, though I have implemented this long ago. I have combining explanations
already in my listings.
StoneColdTruth, Would you mind detailing for us the steps that makes this easy ?
Usaretired, I did not know that what you do actually works, it does add up, however as ellielantern wrote, this is very time consuming. We should not have to do this.
JoeyZoo hit the nail on the head regarding ''discounted already'', this a big problem, it should not matter at all to ebay what kind of discount I am giving on the item, this should not affect the ability for the buyer to ask for an invoice so the seller can combine shipping.
Portagelake said it right, this I always do as well.
Thanks again to all for your positive comments,
I think we as sellers have need to form a large group to take ebay back. A power group of majority sellers that will make ebay respond to our needs.

by: scissors This user has validated their user name.

Tue Oct 1 00:06:38 2019

I have the same issue with shipping despite having at the top of the description to use the cart and explain how to get an invoice, or if using their phone to switch to Ebay Classic and explain again how to get an invoice. No one reads. Many of my customers come back so its an important issue. They have taken the extra 10 percent well because I leave them a message when I refund the rest of the shipping money, but if they cannot get that refund from paypal its not going to go over well. And we are going into the Holiday Season.

I have not tried to get my Ebay fees back and have a ton of transactions each month - I can tie them up every month for hours to get a refund. The problem is, it ties me up too. I will do this if it helps. If every seller starts calling in for refunds, something will happen. Good or bad. CS does not have time to take care of all of us. The solution is for them is to fix the check out system

On etsy items ares totaled and you simply refund the extra shipping, so we know it can be done. So why is Ebay not addressing this? I have been asking for years. I have older ladies overpay by 100-200 dollars sometimes and they want their money back, and I sure understand that.

The second issue is every Seller should be calling Paypal and complaining about no refunds starting Oct 11. And we should start calling NOW. Tell two other sellers you know to call and complain,  and have them  ask two seller they know to do the same - word can spread easily if you stick with it. We put them off last time, and we can do it again. I threatened to move to ebay managed payments if I could not process refunds for my customers. Now wondering if that is the best plan but that is another subject.

Does anyone know if managed payments allows for easy refunds?

If you think about it really Ebay and Paypal are taking/keeping money they are not entitled to. I might have customers start calling in complaints if this aaaapaypal issue cannot be resolved.