Fri Aug 23 2019 14:05:24

Seller: eBay Eliminated Used Condition in Fragrance Category

By: Reader

I am an eBay seller who specializes in fragrances, including those that are discontinued and very old. Some of my inventory is new old stock from brick-and-mortar stores that went out of business, but a lot of it is sourced from estate sales, private collectors, and thrift stores. Those bottles are usually no longer boxed, and they are almost always used, not full.

I was stunned to find that eBay had made changes to the fragrance category literally overnight. Up until now, the only two condition categories for Fragrances were "new" or "used." But as of today, the "used" category no longer exists. I am not able to relist my expired auction listings for used bottles because the only choices I am now given are "new with box" and "new without box."

As for my active listings, I was amazed to see that all of the used items in the Fragrances category now have a blank in the condition field. As for the ones that I listed as "new," they now automatically default to "new with box." This is true, even for the bottles that are new and have no boxes! So I had to manually edit all of my new, unboxed items to say "new without box."

The only solution I have found to the problem is to move my used fragrances to the Vanity, Perfume, and Shaving subcategory of Collectibles. Used items are still allowable there.

I called eBay's customer service to ask about this sudden change, and although the gentleman I spoke with was very sympathetic and sweet, he didn't know if this was a bug or a new policy. All he could do was pass my comments on to management.

I suspect it's a new policy that was implemented very suddenly and with no fair warning to sellers, and I cringe at the thought of buyers purchasing items that they think are "New with box," only to become enraged when they receive a bottle that has no box. Guess who they are going to blame? The seller, of course, even though eBay arbitrarily recategorized the item as "New with box" without authorization.

Please warn sellers that if they have new, unboxed fragrances in the Fragrances category, they will need to manually correct the condition to "new without box." And if they have any used items being sold at auction in the Fragrances category, they will eventually have to move them to Vanity, Perfume, and Shaving.

One thing I don't know is whether a used item listed as Buy It Now in the Fragrances category will automatically relist itself, or whether it will expire at the end of the current 30-day run and move to the Unsold Items folder. If it relists itself, great, but if not, I suppose the seller will have to manually relist the item as a used bottle in Vanity, Perfume, and Shaving.
Emily

Perminate Link for Seller: eBay Eliminated Used Condition in Fragranc   Seller: eBay Eliminated Used Condition in Fragranc

by: FeelingFroggy This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 16:14:39 2019

I'm confused. Why would anyone want to buy a used bottle half filled with perfume. Would that not be like buying a used tube of lipstick that is half gone. Wouldn't that be against the food and drug rules?

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Fri Aug 23 17:49:45 2019

@FeelingFroggy

"Why would anyone want to buy a used bottle half filled with perfume."?

Because they can't afford a full new bottle.

Clive Christian

by: DingDong This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 23 20:07:31 2019

@FeelingFroggy
I had sold a lot of used, old, partial used cologne and perfume.
We want the old items.
There are a lot of the items that a in spray form if you are concern about the "used lipstick".

I finally found Lily of the Valley and Hawaiian White Ginger and purchased them. I loved them on my mom and the memories are so wonderful.
I don't use a lot of perfume on me, but I do spray the bedsheets with some and seem to fall asleep quickly.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bad Hair Day

Sat Aug 24 10:28:51 2019

Hey people! This is eBay :) Thank Goodness there are people like this or alot of our carp would never sell. Many people buy used /vintage perfume/cologne. Do a search for Chanel #5 for example. I'm actually getting ready to list a bottle that I've had laying around here for several years, since I've seen the comp's. With all that being said, it's come to my attention that it can be listed under 'Collectibles > Vanity, Perfume & Shaving > Perfumes > Other Perfume Collectibles'.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 24 21:57:34 2019

eBay periodically changes/updates categories - most times they tell you (I got an email but not about this category) - sometimes not.

See - people (still) think that eBay cares about you and what you sell. They dont.

Even if there was an issue from this - so what? SO the seller gets screwed - I mean come on - its not like sellers are worth anything - and its certainly not like eBAy cares.

eBay updated the category and didnt email you - welcome to eBay 2019-2020 - where the 15: employees who sleep, eat and drink all day cant be bothered to email sellers.

Go to Walkers West and raise your glass to the Norseman (DW (no really thats his name)) top genius at eBay corp. (you could just call him godfather as well).

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Aug 25 02:02:11 2019

There are three options.

New with Box
New without Box
Pre-Owned

I'm not seeing a big issue on this one.  If you need to create a listing for a used fragrance, just use Pre-owned.

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sun Aug 25 10:35:17 2019

FYI, we received the following follow-up email from the letter-writer:

Hi, Ina. This is a follow-up to the message I sent two days ago regarding the sudden elimination of "used" as an allowable condition for items in the Fragrances category.

As of this evening, sellers can list used fragrances again, as there is now a third condition to choose from: "pre-owned." So these are the three choices we have as of August 23: "New with box," New without box," and "preowned."

I would still encourage all sellers of new or used fragrances to spot-check all their active listings to make sure that they were not affected by the sudden slew of errors that occurred on the morning of August 21.  Earlier today, I still saw many listings for fragrances that were incorrectly described in the condition field because eBay's programming changed overnight.

Thanks again, Ina, for all that you do for us sellers.  eBay will never have our backs, so we have to watch each other's backs whenever we can.

by: Slowest Learner This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 25 13:13:59 2019

Why does ebay run away from the fact that they are an online flea market?  It seems they're doing all they can to ditch that image, when IMO they should embrace it.  Where else can you go to find old used item, such as fragrances?  There are so many used item that people collect and it seems ebay is trying to do away with it.  Embrace it!  Ebay will never be Amazon.

As for the question by "FeelingFroggy"
Some fragrances cease production and are no longer available new.  Some fragrances change production and 'smell' different from the old original.  There is a large market for used perfumes and such.  Your comparison to lipstick to fragrances is way off.

by: FLIPPER This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 25 16:55:47 2019

Here's an informative link:
authority-over-cosmetics-how-cosmetics-are-not-fda-approved-are-fda-regulated

It's
my understanding (not an attorney FWIW or an expert) that it's against the law to sell  ''used'' cosmetics; my guess the FDA would use the following portion of the
aforementioned ''link'' to apply to USED cosmetics:
''it has been prepared, packed, or held under insanitary conditions whereby it may have become contaminated with filth, or whereby it may have been rendered injurious to health'';(keyword portion HELD...whereby it MAY HAVE BEEN, emphasis mine)

On eBay (and lots of other online sales venues), people can find all sorts of ''regulated'' items for sale (e.g FDA regulated medical devices) that should not be available for purchase by the general public.  I'm guessing eBay was contacted by someone or some governmental agency ,leading to the ''changes''.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 25 16:56:09 2019

"...follow-up to the message I sent two days ago..."

Brought to you by eBay's three stooges firing squad of IT change releases.  Ready.  Fire.  Aim.

by: FLIPPER This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 25 17:06:11 2019

P.S. in my previous post I, myself, am defining "used" as literally something that has been "consumed" in whole or part (i.e half -full bottle of perfume or after-shave, etc. etc) -guessing that "pre-owned"  would mean a cosmetic where it can resonably be determined that it HAS NOT BEEN consumed in part or whole (e.g. SEALED  bottle still in its original sealed "outer"  packaging) but, again, I'm neither an attorney nor an "EXPERT".

by: FLIPPER This user has validated their user name.

Sun Aug 25 22:40:29 2019

FINALLY,I promise ;), my favorite aftershave I wear has been discontinued for overe 20 yrs  AND a linament I use was BANNED by the FDA after safely being on the market over 100 yrs! soooo the only source I have for both are online sellers. Whenever I buy either of the items the seller always states in their listing that they're selling me the BOTTLE for COLLECTIBLE PURPOSES ONLY - and that the contents should not be used ;)).

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Mon Aug 26 00:22:34 2019

eBay routinely makes changes to Item Condition, like removing "Unused" from the Stamps category a few years ago. And, they have consistently imposed updates without notice to Sellers. Why would they start notifying sellers now? I guess that they must assume that virtually all sellers have the time and inclination to use the Sell Your Item web page.

by: TheKitch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 00:40:10 2019

They did the same thing for shoes! I just noticed that some of my listings now read “new - open box” when I listed as new without box! I can’t change so added “NO BOX NO BOX NO BOX. NEVER HAD ONE!”

by: TheKitch This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 00:47:19 2019

AND re perfumes, some of the most $$$ I’ve made has come from male buyers who want that special discontinued fragrance from the 90s that they wore in their youth! Good perfume houses use quality ingredients that rarely go bad. You might not know what one exactly smelled like long ago but you can tell when one has truly gone BAD! Type in parfum, perfume, or cologne in the ebay search line then sort my highest price then completed sales....

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 05:27:13 2019

"I'm confused. Why would anyone want to buy a used bottle half filled with perfume".
^^ I feel the same way.  I bought a half filled bottle of mens cologne by Armani without packaging and after 2 thoughts, decided not to sell it.  It's shortchanging the customer.  I was a dummy for buying it to resell, and the seller (flea market) was a dummy for selling it.
If the perfume is not boxed or packaged, I won't sell it.  I won't sell Used fragrances either.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 05:28:00 2019

On another note, EB is following AMZ with the "new" only category.  In beauty & health sellers cannot sell used, refurb'd, collectible -- they can only sell NEW and I wholeheartedly agree with this.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 05:30:16 2019

I hope the OP puts a picture of the used fragrance in her listing, which shows how much is left vs. using a stock photo.

by: rover This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 06:10:07 2019

Used perfumes and empty/half empty bottles are NOT duping the buyer so long as they are clearly described.

Vintage perfumes and perfume bottles are a big and well established collecting field. I was recently looking at an online auction in a real world top quality UK auction house which had a large collection for sale,. However these items MUST be properly described and identified - as must all pre owned items.

Ebay is making it ever harder for sellers of vintage to do their work.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 26 08:35:28 2019

@ Slowest Learner

The reason that Ebay continues to try to get rid of their reputation as a flea market or words largest garage sale is Upper Managements egos.  None of them want to run into other CEO's and have to admit they work for a lowly flea market.  It would not matter if Ebay was making 10 times the money that Amazon is making, they would still sell it demeaning role to their egos.

This all started with Donohoe and has gotten nothing but much worse under Wenig.  The fact that he has run every company that he has been in charge of into the ground he is not ashamed of, but being the CEO of a large profitable Flea Market is just something he cannot handle.  Go Figure  and then we wonder why Ebay cannot grow.