Wed Aug 7 2019 11:10:02

eBay Seller Points to Features Harmful to Visibility

By: Reader

How can I tell that eBay isn't showing my listings other than the fact that views are one-digit or non-existent? Easy, when I am not signed into eBay and look at my listings as if I was a potential buyer, eBay's added on "see what other people are looking at", "frequently bought together", "more from the same seller", "similar sponsored items" do not show up.

When they do show up on some of my listings, it shows how out-of-touch eBay is with actually trying to sell products. They would rather have one "similar sponsored item" in a space that could hold six (read five opportunities missed) than show something from a seller that is not paying more on top of more!

I sell vintage jewelry in the vintage category. Why would .99 cents product from China show up as "similar"?

Why would bracelets, necklaces and earrings show up at the bottom of my brooch listing?

Since when and in what universe should vintage jewelry items have the ridiculous "frequently bought together" direction?

It is obvious to me that eBay is adding and making changes to these types of suggestions at the bottom of listings. Also obvious that as these changes are taking place, they are affecting the visibility of the listings that they are being added on to.

And on a totally different topic...why is "Start a collection" still showing up on "My eBay" landing page? This was a sore spot for me when eBay dumped "collections" because I actually used them to my advantage.

How many months ago did collections go away? Why would this still be "live"? Can't they fix anything.
Sincerely,
VeryGoodVintage

PS: eBay IS directing searches to specific categories without letting sellers know.

As with my prior letter to you, I had someone else with a different computer type in "WWII pin" in the eBay home page search with "All Categories". Once they hit "search", the category automatically switched to "pins".

I just finished listing 3 WWII pins in the "homefront" category, meaning anyone conducting a WWII pin search will not see my listings. (collectibles, militaria, WWII, original period item, United States, Homefront).

I always assumed that most listings for WWII pins were pins worn by military personnel, like division insignia pins. Homefront pins consist of just that, Sweetheart Jewelry, Victory Pins and the like, worn "at home".

I'm super annoyed that this major change has taken place without letting those of us who sell, list our items where they are going to be seen!

I guess I am going to have to go back and switch my listings to what eBay is not telling me where they should be. Another WTF eBay moment that is affecting sellers and buyers alike.

Perminate Link for eBay Seller Points to Features Harmful to Visibili   eBay Seller Points to Features Harmful to Visibili

by: WhatsUp2656 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 7 11:45:05 2019

That is heart breaking! I wish eBay could get it through their thick heads that buyers are leaving eBay. They can’t be trusted, buyers know they will not get the best price by search, in fact when you put in exactly what you want it’s not there.

Before I left, I had the best prices on valuable products. Yet they would send me emails to my other account advertising these same high priced products encouraging me to shop with them.

All I can say is don’t walk, RUN! Your financial situation depends on it!!

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Wed Aug 7 12:01:22 2019

@OP

I did a search for WWII pin and got the same results you did.

So the SMART thing to do is list your pins in the "pins" category! Not "homefront" where it won't be seen.

You know the problem and you know the cure

by: eburtonlab This user has validated their user name.

Wed Aug 7 12:34:02 2019

''why is ''Start a collection'' still showing up on ''My eBay'' landing page?''

You may be using an older version of a particular page such as your ''wish list'' page or even the old ''all lists'' page that eBay no longer links to. If so, it is unlikely that eBay will be updating that page to remove the banner.

I use the old ''all lists'' as my eBay landing page, and have found that I can remove the big blue ''Add to your Collection'' banner using an element hiding rule when using a desktop browser with an ad blocking extension installed.

Try pasting this rule into the custom filter list of your ad blocker:

my.ebay.com##DIV[class=''listCntWrpr'']

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Wed Aug 7 16:42:06 2019

I sell antique to current FINE jewelry. Not that eBay know's what that is. They constantly send me fake Chinese crap like "We think you'd like these". Good God. Is this Wenig's brilliant idea of not sending buyers garbage????

I've had a 6% markdown sale since July 27th, It's supposed to run until August 26th. All items. Everything is back to regular price and there is nothing I can do to fix it. It's been dead as dead can be for five days. No emails, nothing. eBay yet again has turned the lights off. Problem is, they don't know how they're doing it so they can't fix it. eBay is technologically, ethically and morally broken. I don't believe anyone can save it now.

Everything they touch breaks including we sellers and buyers.

by: songe-d-automne This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 8 07:36:03 2019

I too am frustrated when attempting to buy something on ebay. Quit kicking me into a certain category!

I look up "Vintage Barbie doll" and it immediately kicks me to "dolls" category. I go up and fix the drop down bar to "all categories" and then voila! thousands more listings. It's bad for both sellers and buyers when idiotic things like this are happening.

by: HardWorkingSeller This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 8 08:41:35 2019

It could be several things.  I don't see the point of posting this type of message when there's no link to a specific item. We just spin our wheels guessing what's going on.  Provide a link and you'll get some decent ideas of things to try.

by: Moonwishes This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 8 09:13:16 2019

Almost any time I venture over to eBay to perhaps check on a price, I am directed to something totally different. The initial listing page is so crowded with nonsense and eBay upselling that you have to click to the next page, if you can find the link, to even read the description. eBay apparently believers that buyers don't read either so has taken that away so a buyer can go on pictures alone. However, many of us do read, and don't like having to wait for a page to load that tells us about the product. I won't get into the sellers and their less than 6-word descriptions after I have gone to the trouble of waiting for the page to load (I'm on satellite, I shouldn't have these waits).

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Aug 8 10:29:46 2019

Why are eBay buyers gone?

Because of BAD sellers. . . .

eBay did too little too late cleaning up the site of "bad sellers"

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Aug 8 10:47:07 2019

Moonwishes writes: "I won't get into the sellers and their less than 6-word descriptions...."

I see so many 'descriptions' that read "What you see is what you get" accompanied by one or two photos that barely shows anything about the item.

As to the OP's letter, while I don't collect military pins, I was selling off some of my late father's military memorabilia (he served in WWII, the Korean War, and worked at the Pentagon), and I've never heard the term "Homefront" before. I suppose if a person was a really avid collector they would know the term, but I have to agree with Toolguy (probably the first time ever) that the pins should be listed in the pins category.

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 8 13:22:07 2019

@toolguy Buyers are gone because eBay is at fault for their reputation, not "bad sellers". Their site is a disaster, search sucks, buyers don't want to be flooded with 1000 irrelevant results and don't want to be pushed to what eBay wants you to buy, customer service sucks, management is a joke, no improvements to anything have been made in years, I can go on and on. Buyers online made their #1 choice Amazon because of eBay's nonsense. They will even spend more there to avoid eBay. Amazon already has 9 out of 10 customers. eBay's market share is dwindling and they're competing online with the likes of Walmart/Target who also have retail stores. In the end it'll be eBay that gets squeezed out. Good riddance.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Aug 8 15:40:53 2019

toolguy writes: "eBay did too little too late cleaning up the site of 'bad sellers.'"

Gee, toolguy, you mean like the sellers that get eBay to scrub their feedback? You know, those bad sellers who have prices in their listings that are wrong, make a plethora of sales, and then won't ship? Those bad sellers? Who get over ten thousand negatives which eBay removes as fast as the feedback is posted? Yeah, maybe eBay should clean their site of those sellers (like Toys R Us who seemed to either ship the wrong item or no item at all).

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 8 15:57:46 2019

toolguy…
Bad sellers have zero effect on a bad search mechanism.
If you want milk, and the sign puts you in canned goods, you leave the store.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Aug 8 18:13:53 2019

There WERE bad sellers, there ARE bad sellers, and there always WILL BE bad sellers.  Same for buyers.  It's a fact of eCommerce, and eBay is no exception.

In spite of safeguards, the problems exist.  Some get remediated, some don't, and even the ones that do are a painful process and a bad experience.  EBay is not what it was, and a novel idea cannot stay novel for long.  it's  a normal evolution.

You make your money while you can, and there will come a time where the changes (policies, fees, glitches, processes, greed) make that next to impossible, so you leave.

Everybody's threshold is different.  The larger the margin of your product, the longer you can hang in there.  A lot of the hobby sellers are gone, because their buy prices got too close to their sell prices.  Inevitable.  Many sellers won't (and shouldn't) pony up for Promoted Listings, so they are sitting at the back of the bus, no sales.  The good old days are gone.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Thu Aug 8 21:33:03 2019

Does eBay search work?

Let's see

Search for S43S

I'm getting 206 results

S43S copper gets only 12 results but all 12 are what I was searching for. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sat Aug 10 00:37:41 2019

@toolguy
That search works ok, or so it seems.  How do you know that there aren't more sellers offering that item than you are being shown?  Maybe 6 of them sold a bunch of stuff lately, so eBay is suppressing their listings.  Maybe one of them was selling it for a lower price, but oops, you don't get to see that.  If you were one of the 6 sellers who paid to have your listing shown but was bypassed, you would not be happy.  But you wouldn't know because at YOUR IP address, it does show.  It's a slight-of-hand game.

And we have all seen searches where you put in less specific criteria and get LESS results instead of more, which is quite backwards.  And the more general search you have, the more likely it is a mess.

Say you are looking for some size 12 sneakers, not fussy about who makes them, and put that in search.  Then you have to filter by some other criteria - color, style, men's, new, used, from U.S., under a certain price, etc.  By the time you are done, there will be sneakers showing that are not from the US, not the right size, wrong color, women's instead men's, every error you can think of, maybe not even SNEAKERS at all.  Junk in, junk software, junk developers, junk out.

Did you notice that below your search for ''S43S copper'' (that showed 12 results), there is the section called ''Results matching fewer words''?  In that section, the only thing eBay could find were 40 pairs of sneakers, none of which had S43S in the title, none of which had ''copper'' in the title, so exactly which ''fewer words'' were they using???

You're looking for a flashlight, and they are showing you 40 pairs of sneakers, not even one similar, competing flashlight.  If you search by ''flashlight'', there are 187,095 to choose from, but they showed you sneakers.  It's a total joke.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Aug 10 10:52:40 2019

@Lightning

I was looking for a Astrolux S43S copper flashlight

I found what I was looking for using the least amount of words WITHOUT using the brand name.

If I typed in Astrolux S43S and got 15 results

S43S copper gets 12 results

The 3 missing results are (3) extension tubes

eBay search only gets screwed up when you're looking for common items with 1000's or results.

Right now I'm seeking an old style "Vism Grip", right now I'm getting 43 results. The one I'm looking for isn't there but it will be someday. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sat Aug 10 11:37:58 2019

@toolguy
"eBay search only gets screwed up when you're looking for common items"

And wouldn't most searches BE for common items??
Therefore, you are saying that MOST eBay searches are screwed up. (Just not yours.)

To search for an unusual item, by definition, would be unusual.  Not for you, probably not for me because I am mostly looking for things I sell, also unusual.  But the rest of the world that you are arguing with looks for the common things, mass market stuff.  So eBay fails them MOST of the time.

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Aug 10 15:03:39 2019

@Lightning

When I want to purchase "common" items I drive to Walmart.

When I need something I can't find or have to drive hundreds of miles to get I use eBay.

More then 1/2 the stuff I buy on eBay is used. . . .

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Sat Aug 10 15:11:45 2019

@thievesbay

"Nobody gets full results on ANY search. Will toolguy ever get any of this through his thick skull?"

You have NO proof of this.

I have challenged a many posters to searches, very very few times have I been wrong.

Anytime you want to play search with me let me know.

The only thing is we are on our honor system when we state what results we are seeing.

I consider myself a "professional" eBay searcher. . .

eBay only hides things it thinks are against the rules or is of questionable origin or authentic. Or if the seller is suspected of selling stolen merchandise, hasn't paid his/her bill or has been informed by law enforcement not to show the listing. . .

But hide listings just for the Heck of it. . . .You've been drinking too much forum board kool-aid. . . .

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Sat Aug 10 15:37:49 2019

@toolguy More complete nonsense. It never ends.