Wed July 31 2019 23:25:34

Seller Weighs In on eBay Changes to Manage Orders Screen

By: Reader

Today's letter to the editor is written to eBay from a seller.

eBay...I doff my chapeau to you...

Dear eBay:
Waking up this morning and going to my eBay "Manage All Orders" screen, I see that you have accomplished what I truly didn't believe was possible...taking one of the few things that (in my lowly opinion) actually worked fairly well (rare on eBay) and TRASHED it with one "update".

Let me count the ways:

1 - Automatic sales default to 90 days. You can change it - temporarily, but it reverts back. Good information to have WHEN I WANT IT, but I'm looking for THIS MONTH'S sales.

2 - "Sales" figure shown includes shipping. (Guess they - eBay - wanted to see what THEY were getting a percentage of, not what I was making money on). Yes, you can get the sales number, but you have to do an additional step.

3 - Date Sold Column - Now towards the far right. (No need to point out the stupidity of THAT one.)

4 - Order #s, Customer's name, etc. All information that is useful when needed, BUT IT IS NOT NEEDED ALL THE TIME.

5 - NO WAY TO CUSTOMIZE THE PAGE. Guess we're stuck with it.

6 - Like eBay...I'm tired...and old (Unlike eBay though, I do TRY to get better each day). No need to go on with other items, this makes the point.

Please go away eBay, and let someone else fill in the gap. You're simply "phoning it in" and taking down people who can run businesses with you.
Thanks,
William

Note from the editor: eBay has been rolling out the new page over time, here's a discussion on the eBay boards about the new format from June, and here's a discussion from July.

Perminate Link for Seller Weighs In on eBay Changes to Manage Orders   Seller Weighs In on eBay Changes to Manage Orders

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Aug 1 09:09:12 2019

Just another change for change's sake.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Aug 1 09:10:06 2019

Indians may as well be Martians when it comes to user interface design.

by: thievesBay This user has validated their user name.

Thu Aug 1 13:49:49 2019

2 - "Sales" figure shown includes shipping.

So now eBay is also including shipping in their sales totals? That means they're also adding it to GMV. Even more fake numbers they can provide Wall Street and shareholders. How is this not corporate fraud? $Billions of their GMV was already fake before this.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Aug 1 13:52:45 2019

It's a mixed bag.  I like that the Notes (Buyer Note and My Note) are now more visible and brought to your attention, having their own line and shading.  My sales figures have product sale amount, and total amount, so you have to do the math to know what was paid for shipping, taxes, or both.  Or click on the order link.  So that's a step backwards.

No sales tax of any kind listed, Seller collected or eBay collected.  Again you have to open the record to find out.  No note about the tax having been collected, either.  As the OP states, when you leave the page and come back, it resets to the 90 day view.  The way around that is to have your page set for 25 items, and it won't show you a huge list.  The 25 items per page will hold if you leave and come back.

I guess they moved the Date Sold way over to the right because they put the more important ''Date To Ship By'' in the leftmost column.  If you focus on that, not a problem.  The whole list is sorted by Date Sold anyway.

It is very bad that they launched this without being ready, no customization, but that's to be expected from eBay, ''a great tech company''.  Looks like they plan to have it customizable - there is a grayed out heading on the left that wasn't there before, ''SETTINGS''.

Buyer emails disappear after 14 days.  I think it used to be 30 days.  If you were collecting your buyer's emails by downloading reports, I'm not sure if that will still work.  I did a download using the new link on the top right, and had email addresses going back to 7/19, all blank earlier than that.  You can also choose to only download individual orders by checking the boxes next to them and choosing More > Download selected.  Maybe File Exchange has different results.

None of it really matters, as there's nothing being sold.  Also, they will change it again tomorrow, probably take another step or two backwards.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Aug 1 15:21:45 2019

Confirming that File Exchange still has the email addresses, for those interested.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu Aug 1 15:45:16 2019

Didn't notice it earlier, but some fields are missing completely.  Like zip code.  I used to glance at this quickly and it would tell me if Regional packaging would be an option.  Now gone.  Probably other useful info gone, too, but I don't have the old page to compare.

by: dans parts This user has validated their user name.

Fri Aug 2 09:09:20 2019

A now missing component that is important for those of us still running auctions: NO way to send an invoice in this new page.

CS tells me to go back to the old My eBay Selling page (i.e. out of Seller Hub), where I can still send an invoice.  But, I have to scroll down past the hundreds of live items to get to Sold on that page.

Finding the Send Invoice button and clicking that, I get an error page saying "Payment information for this item can only be updated on the site on which the item was originally listed. To update the payment information for your item please click here".

The word "here" in that message is clickable, and it then opens a new tab with the page for sending that particular invoice.

Two weeks ago, I sold 8 items on Sunday.  Two people paid before I had time to send invoices.  Didn't have time to send them out Monday, so figured most people don't really need an invoice, since eBay does notify people.  One person paid on Monday.  Crickets all day Tuesday, so sent out invoices Tuesday night.  3 people paid within 5 minutes of receiving the invoice - one of them within 30 seconds.

Tells me either people actually DO wait for an invoice, or eBay's notification system telling people they've won is either borked, or being circumvented (Notification Preferences).

Either way, what rational person would design a system that takes away the ability of a business to send an invoice to a customer????

Real world experience at eBay?  Absolutely NONE!!!!

by: Disgruntled_Seller This user has validated their user name.

Mon Aug 5 11:28:28 2019

No doubt it was designed by someone who never has to actually use it on a daily basis ... Anything taking a click to see is more work.