Thu June 13 2019 10:33:28

eBay Concierge Comes to the Rescue of Seller

By: Reader

I can't believe I'm writing to tell you this, but I actually had a really positive experience with a new eBay service this morning. Almost six weeks ago, I sold a $600 Omega wristwatch to a new-ish eBay buyer based in India. Of course, I shipped the watch via Priority Mail with tracking and insurance, but for some reason, the delivery dragged and dragged once it reached India.

The buyer got nervous, opened an item not received case after two weeks, and I tried to assure him that the parcel was most likely not lost, just delayed. Eventually, the tracking did show the package in customs, only now, it was labeled as missing paperwork and would incur an additional fee.

I have shipped hundreds of packages abroad over the last decade and have never had this problem before. I personally felt that it was most likely that customs was trying to shake down the recipient for extra fees. He asked me to pay the fee, but I wouldn't budge as I had filled out the customs paperwork correctly and included the invoice inside of the package. I also e-mailed the label and invoice to him multiple times so that he could dispute the fee in person with customs.

Long story short, we went round and round for several weeks and the buyer refused to contact customs or pick-up his package. eBay kept delaying a ruling in the case, as they could see the package making progress through customs and the postal system and could view all of the correspondence between us.

Finally, as I was checking e-mails this morning, I saw that eBay had closed the case, ruled in the buyer's favor, and provided him a full refund while the watch was probably sitting at his local post office. I was livid!

Of course, as I prepared to reach out to eBay, I felt like I was getting ready to make a Hail Mary, as what would eBay actually do to help me? It seems that despite the tens of thousands of dollars I pay in eBay fees each year, they rarely help me in these unusual situations like this when I could really use it.

As I was looking for the customer service number, I happened to get directed to the eBay Concierge page. "What is this?" I thought. "Well, I guess it can't hurt", so I called the number.

I spoke to a young woman name Sharea and gave her a recap of the events. She said that she needed a few minutes to review all of the notes and put me on a brief hold. After a little while, she came back on and asked for a few more minutes, so that she could speak with someone else in another department. She came back on a little while later and said that she had some good news for me. She said that eBay would allow the buyer to keep the refund, but would reimburse me out of their own pocket, and if I wanted to try to recall the watch, I could.

I was blown away. Never in my 8+ years as a full time seller had anyone at eBay done anything like this for me, especially for an amount like this (about $650 total, with shipping). I told her such and expressed my profound thanks. I was really happy to have found at least one customer service rep that was willing to go above and beyond to help a seller when they really needed it.

So, in conclusion, I would enthusiastically endorse the new eBay Concierge service to those that qualify for it. I'm sure that eBay may eventually try to monetize it (when have they not tried to make money on everything...?) but here's the link in case you want to check it out.

And needless to say, I will not be shipping to India again anytime soon!
Trader Chris

Perminate Link for eBay Concierge Comes to the Rescue of Seller   eBay Concierge Comes to the Rescue of Seller

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Thu Jun 13 11:29:19 2019

I am happy this eventually worked out for you Chris (truly, I am).

That said, it's unfortunate that eBay's exploitation of simply reversing a blatantly unjust act results in such glee, when it never should have been an issue for you in the first place.

#StockholmSyndrome

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 11:44:39 2019

How dumb that Ebay rather give a $600 free watch to a scammer in india then actually deal with the situation lol

by: thriftyone This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 11:47:06 2019

I am delighted to hear that this situation worked out in your favor. This is how these situations should play out with veteran sellers, such as yourself, who have great track records. However, this was probably nothing more than a one time "courtesy" refund to you. If this happens again, and I am hoping it does not, you may not be so lucky.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 12:03:34 2019

Im confused.

On one hand (most importantly) - you got made "whole" and since the "Chief head of seller protection secret services who used to be some seller but was now promoted to head something or other)(maybe hes a bartender at the new bar or something)" didnt do anything to help - Im glad the money is in YOUR pocket! Win one for the good guys!

On the other ... there was no reason for eBay to rule against you. As far as I know (and maybe Marie knows better - shes better at the "letter of the law on eBay type things") - you did your part and when it comes international shipping - taxes and duties are the responsibility of the buyer and NOT the seller. The item reached the country and "would have been delivered" if the buyer would have payed what the country says he owed. Why he/she got a pass - I dont know.

Bottom line - on eBay - any win - even a small one for any seller is a good thing - glad you got your money back!

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 13:57:37 2019

Hate to bust a bubble but this has been happening for a long time. We were refunded for 350.00 last year when ebay screwed up. Ebay regularly refunds the buyers out of their own pocket and every once in a while the seller gets an out of their pocket refund. No that unusual at all.

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 14:51:42 2019

Oddly enough the sellers who received the ebay concierge were the ones who went to Ebay Open about 3 or 4 years ago. So while there are millions of veteran ebay seller's who have paid fees to ebay over the years have no concierge service while some newer sellers who have paid far less fees and this premium service.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 15:01:35 2019

I will say that dealing with the Concierge personnel is night and day different that dealing with normal CS.  They are well trained, and do all they can to take care of the customer on the phone, even sellers.  This may have been a one time courtesy refund, or they may have done their research and saw that the seller had done all they could in this situation.

The Concierge program CSR's also have a lot more power to fix things than those that most Ebay customers have to deal with from the Philippines.  I remember that Ebay had stated when they put Wendy Jones in charge of Customer Service that they were going to improve the service for ALL customers, but obviously Wenig realized that would cost Ebay way more money than he is willing to spend to take care of Ebays customers.  So unfortunately, most customers are still stuck with the nightmare 3rd party contractor CSR's who have no skin in the game and whose job description is to say whatever it takes to get off the phone as quickly as possible.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 17:08:01 2019

Sounds like concierge should be for all sellers. Just have concierge be customer service, why in the world would you only give good customer service to some people.

ebay is such trash

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Jun 13 17:30:52 2019

Celebrate when this type situational resolution becomes un-newsworthy, because ''concierge'' service ought to be nominally ubiquitious.

As for any kudos and backpats due here, they would need to be tempered with the realization that eBay basically only 'patched' the hole they (or their atrifically algorithmed R2D2) drilled themselves.  That YOU had to raise the alarm for.  And though statistically fiscally insignificant to eBay, their (then a miracle occured) patch still represents a preventable bottom line business 'loss'.

Good and glad your thirst was sated, but one brief shower doesn't alleviate a drought.

This user has validated their user name. by: iheartjacksparrow

Thu Jun 13 19:40:28 2019

Congratulations, Chris. Though Devin is probably ticked off that the refund used up the alcohol spending budget for today at his bar.

by: menco This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 17 04:30:09 2019

''Trader Chris'' claims he received nice words from Concierge CSR, but no where does he state that he ever actually received money from eBay. We have no idea if this story is true or fake.
How are we to distinguish between true tales of e-commerce and subtly misleading corporate gaslighting?

by: DevilishlySarky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 17 05:34:27 2019

No and nononononono noooooo
While I am glad the seller has been reimbursed ,Ebay should have taken the trouble to pay the "fee" releasing the watch to the buiyer ,
Its the sensible solution and not a  $1200  one

by: Flying Childers This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 17 06:59:52 2019

I have to agree with Menco- I am very suspicious of this story.  I can’t even imagine EBay doing something like this, not after all the horror stories I’ve read here.

by: globalhistory This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 17 07:58:27 2019

Items like that you can only sell in the US/Canada and a few European countries and that's it. A package can never be lost, it is always stolen along the way. Approx 2% of all mail never arrives at the destination . Stamps of f.e. registered mail is in many countries more than a day's income.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Tue Jun 18 16:22:23 2019

Same thing happened to a guy last year who sold a $5000 Rolex. ebay concierge told him to pound sand. Happened to another guy who sold some kind of an expensive clothes press. Lost it all.

It is indeed a hit and miss. One thing is certain though, the buyers are always at the winning end to come back and do it again. It's like rewarding the local car thief with the very car he just hijacked.