Sun June 9 2019 09:57:45

eBay Penalizes Seller for Heeding Its Advice

By: Reader

Dear Mr Wenig, Dear Mrs Jones:
I am once more compelled to write to you about the incoherence of your seller performance policies. I am also adding Ina Steiner to alert other sellers who may be confronted with the same issue.

Needless to say I spent about 1 hour as usual to try to sort it out but according to a "well trained agent" called Nina (quoting her words) and in spite of a reasonable conversation with an inflexible supervisor called Nancy, it all came down to nothing. You might also be interested to know that they almost played the trick of " You are cutting off, I cannot her you" but it did not work. I hope that you will listen to the edifying conversation when you have a minute.

Long story short, on Sunday May 26, I sold the following item: (redacted). I got paid almost instantly. Less than 30 minutes later, I received an email from eBay titled "Suspicious Buyer for Item" urging me not to ship. Here is the actual text:

We recommend you take the following actions if this buyer won the item:
- If you haven't received payment, don't complete the sale or send the item to the buyer.
- Don't communicate with the buyer directly.
- Verify any payments you've been notified of by logging into your payment account (or other online payment service).
- If the buyer requests a refund or additional payments, don't send any money without contacting eBay first.
- If you've already sent the item, try contacting the shipping carrier to find out if you can stop shipment.

Until now, I feel fine being protected by eBay from a potential fraudulent buyer. The only problem is that I have been paid for this item and I am not sure what to do.

Moving forward 2-3 days later, I still have not heard anything from eBay about what I should do. So I call Customer Care and to my surprise, they tell me that is is OK to ship the item, that the buyer is not fraudulent. Obviously, had I never called, I would have never guessed. The only problem is that this is happening 3 days after the sale and my performance dashboard show that I am not late in shipping. I then ask the rep what to do about this and she "assures" me that the defect will fall off as soon as I ship the item. The next morning, I ship the item.

Moving forward to today, I check my dashboard and as I somewhat suspected the defect for shipping late has not yet fallen off. So I call again Customer Care and I am being told that they cannot remove it since I am still a top rated seller and that I should call back should I ever lose my status. I argue that I have been a top rater seller for months and it is unlikely that this will happen in the near future. Also I argue about the fact that should I ever lose my status, it is likely that it will be too late to remove it. Believe me, I have had more than one unpleasant conversation with your team about removing a defect and being told that they cannot do it after 2-3 months after the problem happened. I escalate this to the supervisor who basically endorses the agent's decision.

To sum up, I made a perfectly legit sale, you tell me not to ship, I never hear from you, then you tell me to ship which creates a defect on my performance and you basically tell me that you cannot remove the defect, even though you are directly responsible about the defect!

I hope you will admit that this is a joke all the way to the end! I hope that you will help reach a satisfying resolution. At the end of day, this could have been solved in 5 minutes had the issue been escalated to the right team authorized to remove such defects.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Nicolas

Perminate Link for eBay Penalizes Seller for Heeding Its Advice   eBay Penalizes Seller for Heeding Its Advice

This user has validated their user name. by: Enhancing eBay

Sun Jun 9 10:46:08 2019

OP and other ECB readers may find it interesting to learn amidst last years massive eBay layoffs and cost-cutting measures (including numerous executives), Wendy Jones (who heads eBay's Customer Service and Global Trust) received an $8 Million retention bonus in addition to millions of dollars in other bonus incentives.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

''[eBay] granted Ms. Jones a [$8M] retention equity award in 2018''

''Ms. Jones, received a retention award. Ms. Jones plays a valuable role within our leadership, and there is considerable competition in the market for her skill set. The award was granted in recognition of Ms. Jones’ significant contributions to the Company as well as her key role in the Company’s future.''

''Ms. Jones received her annual award of $3.0 million, allocated in accordance with the Company’s 2018 allocation: 60% PBRSUs and 40% RSUs. In addition, as discussed above, she received an $8.0 million retention award on July 15, 2018, which was allocated in accordance with the Company’s 2018 allocation: 60% PBRSUs and 40% RSUs.''

👉 http://bit.ly/2XBc8dh

by: Shanna This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 9 10:49:38 2019

The real problem is eBay trains all of its customer service reps, from sandwich paid workers in the Philippines, all the way up to Alan, Brian Burke and Uncle Griff, to lie to the customer. Its all they have, unwritten rules, written policies not followed, and confusion between new policies and what you are told over the phone. That's why they dropped live chat, can't have a written record of the conversation.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jun 9 12:32:26 2019

Ironic to say the least. I received a similar email from eBay about 2 years ago. Fortunately it arrived 3 days after I had shipped and the customer had received their item. I contacted my buyer and he couldn't understand why eBay would send me something like this as he had been an upstanding customer for several years and no feedback problems.

Again, you cannot trust eBay to ever do anything right. The best way to deal with them is ALWAYS assume the worst outcome. It will never get worse than that....I hope???

"Only intuition can protect you from the most dangerous individual of all, the articulate incompetent." Sounds like a CEO I'm familiar with.

by: WhatsUp2656 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 9 14:57:57 2019

How many years, occasions, algorithm glitches, search and browse dysfunctions, cannot locate products & lowest prices, no support for buyers or sellers, uneducated service reps, will it take before they are closed? I would say they are currently “out of order” & control for that matter. I have no interest whatsoever to sell on that platform again. I am confused how Wenig thinks building a bar at eBay will benefit the mess they are in.

I do wonder how long will a seller stay with the fees alone, then add all the aggravation, bad eBay assistance for BUYERS & sellers and taking our unauthorized money (in my opinion).

It’s funny when I visit the forums. So many sellers really think the GTC is the problem or other reasons. The real truth (in my opinion) is THERE ARE NO BUYERS! When will sellers say enough is enough?

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sun Jun 9 15:08:19 2019

@WhatsUp2656

You hit the proverbial nail on the head. There are no buyers. So many sellers have left. It is impossible to navigate so why bother. Wenig can't come up with enough plays to offset the damage he's done, most importantly from bleeding sellers dry at every turn. Even sending out eBucks offers is not giving any incentive to purchase. He won't accept that he and his minions have technologically altered the platform to the point that it's in constant failure. They have no clue how to get it back.

Without buyers, there will eventually be no sellers. Without sellers, there will be no more eBay, unless you consider the Chinese and the Indian purveyors of crap.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sun Jun 9 17:50:08 2019

''They have no clue how to get it back.''

The OP's experience is indicative of where eBay would need to start though.

eBay's accellerating downward spiral is not about the need to provide the epitomic ''buyer experience''.  It's not about 'flashes' in the pan, or fiscal manipulation, or cornering the gee-gaw of the month either.  Can't 'promote' the way past it, or pro bono freight it.

eBay suffers from an endemic lack of respect for those who pay their bills.  Their incompetence is not just eCombumbling, it's rooted in their very core business culture, and fed by their complete lack of basic business ethics.  That clueless arrogance is a business cancer.

And until that's fixed, they can enhance and upgrade and experience themselves 'till the closing bell, and it will never be more than fresh paint over rotting wood.

What right minded emptor wouldn't caveat that?

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Mon Jun 10 02:29:37 2019

Nicolas
Sadly this is not a new problem.  It is the same type of email Ebay has sent for years.  Ebay is just not know for well constructed or informative emails.  I don't know why.  They really don't have a good excuse for it.  They just don't take the time to fix this problem that has been a serious issue for years.

You got caught up in this because you were trying to be a good Ebay member and follow the instructions given.  Next time you know NOT to do that.

I get these things too from time to time.  Due to the experience you just described, I pretty much ignore the email completely.  I keep a copy of it, but other than that, I ignore it.

What I do is check the payment.  If it is cleared and in my PP account without issues pending.  Then I ship the item, making sure to ship to the address on the PP payment notification so that I'm covered under their Seller Protection.

In all my years, I have NEVER had an issue with the buyer or a claim filed on any transaction that I've gotten an email like this on.

If I had received this email on something I had not of received payment on.  I would have just done a cancellation on the transaction.

by: ySirTinLee This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 02:30:21 2019

Nicolas, I'm sorry, but I believe this is your fault because you knew you received payment.  Use your common sense.  You got paid, you ship, regardless of what Ebay says.  Ebay is toxic.  This is your business, not Ebays.  You do what's right for your business regardless.

by: DevilishlySarky This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 05:14:31 2019

yep . been there , got the T-shirt
Wait until you get the same message four days after you have already shipped the item to New Zealand , or China
I have no idea why they flag these odd transactions up - trouble is, neither do they ........

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 07:03:54 2019

I had similar experiences of puzzlement from emails received from eBay? eBay profits from defects as a FEE and effects your visibility as a Seller? Now why would a company want to hurt it top Sellers? eBay makes it money off of sellers? Yet the glitches in its system is getting out of control! many Power Sellers have left eBay, because of similar events. Nothing seems to make sense at eBay to sellers? eBay needs to get rid of the defect standards system as its been corrupted by forces of darkness within eBay.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 07:09:36 2019

Why are sellers & people still with Ebay?  Get off Ebay and get with WM or Amz.  Also, write your letters to the Board of Director Executives, not the CEO.  Wenig doesn't have an ombudsman like he used to have to answer letters and complaints.  The company has laid off so many people, it's bare bones.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 10:20:03 2019

This sounds like the same old thing where bots are triggered after finding words that resemble a problem but in fact are not.

@CanBrit - Indeed !!  If one expects the worst, then one can never be disappointed!

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Mon Jun 10 10:39:40 2019

eBay is a classic example of a chaotic environment - dozens of teams frantically working to implement 'management decisions' with no communication between teams and no prioritization for for fixing problems.

by: Mamak This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 10:43:08 2019

Ask to have it escalated.  Don't ask for a supervisor because they are all overseas and get compensated simply by opening and cases.  The more they do a day the better they look.  There is no work ethics and they are not driven by doing the right thing just opening and closing tickets for there daily count.  When you escalate a defect it will eventually get to a person in the USA that will have more than half a brain and good common sense and reasoning skills.  Of course it will require at least another hour or two of being jerked around but I have always been able to reason with a CS rep in the USA and regain a fair conclusion.

This user has validated their user name. by: FEEbay

Mon Jun 10 10:45:05 2019

This is unfortunate to say the least....but NOT surprising.
We have had to call and follow up three or four times to make sure a defect was removed, after they repeatedly promised us that it would be, and did not follow through. And we get Concierge level support!

I gave up on keeping track of defects, and running the stupid reports, calling Customer Service, etc, etc, over a year ago. "Top Rated Seller?" It isn't worth jumping through their hoops. Just maintain "Above Standard," and run your business as you see fit...Set your own handling time, etc..etc...screw Ebay and their anti-seller ridiculousness.

Ebay once was 97% of our E-Commerce Sales, now it is 8%, and falling, since we have moved on to other platforms, own website, etc, and I LOVE IT

This user has validated their user name. by: Fly on the Wall

Mon Jun 10 10:45:06 2019

eBay is not worth my time anymore. Too many calls to "customer"+"service" (as both a buyer and seller), to no avail. I've got stories too. Oh BOY, do I have stories. But again, I'm not into wasting my time. Good luck to the OP.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 11:59:15 2019

Nicholas darling - you didn't actually send that letter right? You do know he doesn't read them right? You do know there's nobody left over there with 1/2 brain that hasn't taken every nickle they could and scrammed outta there right?

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 12:01:10 2019

who decides to retain these ceos and are they off their rockers? why retain people who create so little growth and have taken the coporation to the very brink of destruction?

by: dasw This user has validated their user name.

Mon Jun 10 13:15:08 2019

What "Marie" said.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Mon Jun 10 22:59:53 2019

The late shipment demerit here is a bad enough, but let's hope there was no legitimate reason for the email warning.  I'm suspecting a high probability that this is not the final chapter on that story.  Next you might get an INR or an SNAD from the buyer with eBay now reversing their ''it's ok to ship'' position, ''new information'' coming in.  It depends which way the wind is blowing that day.