Tue May 14 2019 22:23:30

Annoying eBay Shipping Habits

By: Reader

Here is a new one regarding eBay's postage label page. I sold a dress. I had postage set for Priority. When I went to print the Priority service, I opened the drop-down box, I selected Priority "padded" flat rate. However, I was not able to change what the buyer selected "Priority" to what I preferred "Padded Flat Rate" Priority.

I had no choice but to take the dress back out of the sealed padded Priority envelope and mail it in my basic polymailer. Why???!

On top of that, I'm tired of eBay using my paper and my ink as real estate to advertise their message to buyers "It's easy! Sell to buy what you love. www.ebay....."

Since I am a small seller, I cut it off, but this new message shows up at the bottom of every shipping label (in addition to eBay at the top). Ugh.

What's next?
V.

Perminate Link for Annoying eBay Shipping Habits   Annoying eBay Shipping Habits

This user has validated their user name. by: toolguy

Tue May 14 23:11:15 2019

There should have been blue text below the Padded Envelope that says: "See All Flat Rate Services"

Clicking that will give you other options.

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 15 00:20:26 2019

Stamps.com offers free accounts to any Ebay Sellers who want one and in my opinion it works much better than Ebays and does not have the constant changes because they cannot leave anything alone.  You cannot pay with Paypal but you can use your paypal Debit Card to pay for the postage and earn the 1% money back by doing so.

This program interfaces with Ebay and not only retrieves your items for printing shipping labels but also logs back in and automatically updates your sales orders with the tracking numbers.  You can change the shipping to whatever method you wish to use and easily combine orders from the same buyer that Ebay either will not allow or makes it very difficult to do.  You can also print all day and then still combine all the items into 1 scan sheet which the post office loves.

My favorite part of using Stamps.com is the fact that I can look at my history and see what is happening with all of my shipments very quickly so if i have issues I can get on top of them before the Buyer starts asking questions about where their order is.  Lastly you can see your shipping history for at least 2 years back (that is how long I have been with them)  which helps when you have a buyer claim Unauthorized at the 180 day mark as you can still find what you need to upload to Paypal for proof.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Wed May 15 03:22:23 2019

I have yet to hit upon THIS PARTICULAR problem, but I have a GUESS as to what caused you to "hit upon it".  SIZE that you listed for the DRESS you sold.  No, not Dress Size, rather BOXED UP dimensions to ship your dress.   We should ALL hope that this was just some BrainFart on the part of some self-empowered eBay WingNut and that as such it just MIGHT be reversed once the RIGHT PERSON sees/hears about it.... often enough.
Although I'm a strong proponent of USING the Flat Rate Padded Mailer where it is appropriate I've learned THE HARD WAY to never make ANY of the USPS Flat Rate boxes/mailers my LISTED manner of shipping out my products sold thru eBay.
Why not?  Because the eBay shipping computer does NOT have "common sense" and as such it does NOT take into account that while ONE of anything WILL fit into the Flat Rate Padded mailer, Small Box, Medium Box, Large Box that 2, 3, 6, 15 of that same item is NOT fit into one of those FOUR flat rate choices.
Happened to me about 10 years ago that while 2 of a particular 1/2 inch NPT Stainless Ball-Valve WOULD fit into SMALL Flat Rate Box ( to ENGLAND ! ) would fit the eBay computer billed the buyer as though ALL TEN that he bought would ALSO fit.
Lesson Learned.  NO FLAT RATE PACKAGES in the initial listing.  YES, I do use them but only as eBay quite properly DOES "permit" using BETTER / FASTER methods of shipment, but so far as eBay HAS BEEN CONCERNED. USPS Priority Mail is ALL THE SAME so whether it benefits the seller to use one of the Flat Rate boxes OR one of the REGIONAL Flat Rate Boxes..... is entirely SELLER's Prerogative.

by: spooky This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 16 10:02:28 2019

I had similar experience but was able to change the shipping parameters with a little figuring.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Thu May 16 13:16:46 2019

It's a good idea to have more than one way to make shipping labels.  Presuming the OP's item was paid by PayPal, you can ship it from there.  The padded envelope is not a choice, but the regular envelope is.  Just choose that and use the padded envelope anyway, no one will care.  I think it's a dime difference.

Could have also gone right over to Click and Ship on USPS.com.  You would have to copy and paste the address, and also later input the tracking, but easy to make the padded envelope label.  That beats repackaging the item.

I tried to add Stamps.com, but had communication errors on the web interface.  And a different error on their stand-alone version.  So they scored 0 for 2.  The tech guy, Riley, wanted to remote access my computer to troubleshoot it, but I preferred he didn't.  I had other options, and if Stamps.com wasn't going to work ''right out of the box'', who needs the hassle?  I might hold the record there for the quickest account cancellation.

Tried Pirate Ship, and that is working fine, using it a backup.  Plus I can use my PayPal debit card there, as Silver Ice King has suggested, and get rewards points, which are doubled at the moment, can't remember why.  I will probably make it my main shipping tool, and ebay as the backup.

The Priority cubic rate that Pirate has might come in handy, but mostly for opposite coast shipments sent Priority, of which I have very few.  And they do have good rates for international shipments under 3 lbs. or so.

And then there's the escape from the label chaos at ebay in general - that would be welcome.  The other day I got 2 different prices for a 3 lb. shipment to Canada using the regular ebay label system vs. going through the bulk shipping interface.  The bulk shipping was over $5 cheaper for the same weight.  It was giving the usual TRS discount, whereas the regular page wasn't.  Probably due to their constant changes, and the ''newly revised'', ''super new'', ''new'' ebay international shipping page.  I posted that to EKG, so if you had a similar experience, you can report it there.

But Pirate was matching the higher ebay amount, and is supposedly offering the lowest available rate.  Maybe the ebay bulk shipping tool is just plain off, in our favor for a change.  Might have nothing to do with a TRS discount.  There's no way to see what's actually going on ''behind the curtain'', so the only thing you can do is check around and accumulate data and price points to try to make some sense of it.

This user has validated their user name. by: Don Wagner

Fri May 17 13:15:37 2019

eBay now requires a lengthy drilldown to get to options such as alternate shipping. Similar to the way buyers have to go through a buried process on their phones in order to view a sellers other listings. If you didn't know such options were available, most people would never find out about them. Maybe it's eBay's way of 'sundowning' features they find inconvenient while plausibly denying they have eliminating them.

by: exdwh This user has validated their user name.

Fri May 17 14:53:34 2019

I can also recommend PirateShip. However, the last time I checked, eBay's TRS international priority and express rates were still lower. The management of PS is quite anal about their statements and policies. They claim they offer the lowest rates available when they don't. They claim country of origin is required when it's not. They also claim that the weight of the items in the customs declaration must match the total package weight-- regardless of the weight of the packaging. I recently attempted to print an international label (FCP) for a 1-ounce item. PS generated an error. Support said to enter the 1-ounce item as 8 ounces to match the package weight. I was able to print the label, but it said 9 ounces for the contents and 8 ounces for the total package. That's just wrong. This problem began after PS switched from Endicia to PB as their backend processor. None of PS, PB or USPS should have allowed a label with contents which exceed the overall weight. The postage was correct. I just used a marker to correct the weights and COO.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Sat May 18 11:22:43 2019

Just imagine the convoluted rigamarole you'd have to navigate if shipping wasn't 'free'....

by: thebobman This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 21 01:29:36 2019

>>eBay now requires a lengthy drilldown to get to options such as alternate shipping

I still use the old version of ebay shipping. They say its gone, and there is no link to it anymore, but if you know where it used to be, you can still use it.

by: railady This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 23 14:09:47 2019

I'm not quite sure why OP could not have simply slipped the padded envelope into their ''basic polymailer'' (a padded flat rate should have fit into a standard USPS Tyvek envelope) but ...

@ Lightning - you said ''The padded envelope is not a choice, but the regular envelope is.  Just choose that and use the padded envelope anyway, no one will care.'' I would hesitate to do that -- The padded priority envelopes cost more to mail and it's more than a dime. With the ''APV'' technology USPS uses to discover underpaid or overpaid parcels, it is likely it WILL be  caught and someone WILL care, either the recipient who will get a POSTAGE DUE notice or the shipper who will get it returned.

@Silver Ice King - my experience is the same as yours, but I wanted to add from my own about 4 years of using Stamps.com.

I gave up using eBay/PP shipping when I continually was stuck with ''SYSTEM NOT AVAILABLE, TRY LATER'' messages - a huge time waster, not to mention over the top frustrating. (I honestly think they were trying to force me to link my 2 accounts which I refused to do.)

I went to Stamps.com and am SO much happier. I dislike paid subscriptions but it has ended up more than paying for itself.

Just one example is that instead of printing a receipt for every ebay/PP postage purchase, resulting in about a 3 inch thick stack and me having to add them all up by hand, all I have to do now is create a .csv spreadsheet in Stamps.com which does all the math for me (including refunds).

There were a few sniggles but no crises and nothing that techs couldn't fix in a few minutes. I use the download version not the web.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Fri May 24 13:21:35 2019

@thebobman

Maybe you post that link to the old page?

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Fri May 24 13:23:49 2019

@thebobman
that was supposed to read "Maybe you COULD post that link to the old page?"

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Sat May 25 00:42:20 2019

@railady
Point taken as far as selecting the Priority Flat Rate envelope and using the padded one.  I didn't realize the pricing had drifted wider between the two.  Was a time that it actually was only a 10 cent difference.  Maybe even earlier a 5 cent difference.  And usually they just see ''envelope'' on the method and go with that, but there is always the eagle-eyed clerk that will catch it now and then.

But.....your thought on putting the Priority Padded envelope into a generic mailer and going with a lower rate lie First Class violates USPS rules.  You can only use Priority packaging for Priority shipments.  If the outer envelope tore open a bit, and they saw the unmistakable Priority padded envelope, they could charge postage due at the Priority rate.  And then you are back to the same problem.