Tue May 7 2019 00:56:48

Zombie Seller Takes over eBay Account

By: Reader

I thought this might be right up your alley. Today I heard a funny sound from my phone and I found out it was a sale through the eBay app.

I never heard that sound before because I have never in 15 years on eBay sold anything or even listed anything. So imagine my surprise when I clicked on the app and found that I had sold something.

I had sold a pool I had never heard of and did not own. It sold less l than 30 minutes of being listed and it has now taken me 4 hours for eBay to believe that an account that has never in 15 years sold anything and did not list anything.

The buyer still has an open sale because he did pay and eBay is trying to figure out what happened.

I don't have a PayPal account, but one was added to my account and I did not receive an email. The sale is paid to that PayPal account and the listing is still currently up because eBay will not allow me to remove it while they investigate. It has five more pools available.

I honestly have no idea how this could happen and have changed all the passwords to both my eBay account and my email. But I am very confused. Have you ever heard of anything like this before? I'm still trying to figure out what happened.

Hope you're having a great day.
R.

Perminate Link for Zombie Seller Takes over eBay Account   Zombie Seller Takes over eBay Account

by: gutspiller This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 7 13:06:26 2019

Your account has been hacked. I've had the very same problem years ago. I sold something I never listed. Got payed through PayPal which was also hacked by the way.

Scan your computer for virusses and afterwards change your Ebay/PayPal password.

The only difference with you is that I was an active Ebayseller. Haven't sold anything on Ebay for years though.

This user has validated their user name. by: NoMoreEbay

Tue May 7 14:15:14 2019

Yep...Hacked.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 7 14:53:59 2019

Me - I'd take the listing down now - ebay be dammed - if you wait for them the "fix" it hell will be a frosty vacation spot. Why compound your misery?

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 7 15:54:08 2019

By time Ebay figures it out you will have sold all the pools and then Ebay will be looking for you to pay the FVF because i will lay odds that Paypal is not the source for Ebay to be paid.  Then when you refuse to pay it, Ebay in their infinite wisdom will say that this is all your fault,  will turn the fees owed over to a collection agency and start working on ruining your credit.

It will be very interesting to see how Ebay spins the fact that your account was not only hacked but the person was able to add a new Paypal Account to collect the money.  It will also be interesting to see what country the hack lives in, if they ever determine anything out about it.  I watch my information very carefully because i do not trust that this new Sellers Hub that Ebay forced on anybody that Ebay deemed to be a ''Business'' had to use does not have holes galore for hackers to get into the platform.  When you go super cheap for your programming, the product you get is also super cheap.

You might also want to check and make sure your banking information has not been compromised in case it is  a trojan horse on your system.  I would also immediately run an antivirus program on your computer if you have one and have used it for Ebay or for your banking information.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Tue May 7 16:15:25 2019

Ebay should set inactive accounts as non useable, its Ebay's responsibility to monitor abandoned accounts, by not doing their due diligence, they are endangering their customers and should be heavily fined and or shut down.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Tue May 7 19:01:14 2019

@mcposty

If they did that, their total customer base would drop by a third. Don't see that happening.

by: comet This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 9 01:10:38 2019

The writer did NOT say it was a completely INACTIVE account,  just that they had never used it to sell or list items.  Seems like a buyer only account.

Years ago I had someone hack my ebay acct and list and sell a Honda Goldwing.  Altho I now sell bike parts, I did not at that time.  Took me a while to get ebay to grasp the fact I had NOT listed the item!!!

In more.recent time I have had my bank debit card hacked about 7 times in the past 2 years,  including one that charged a subscription to "Martha Stewart Magazine",  something I had NEVER had a sub to.  The off shore customer service person demanded that I have Martha Stewart arrested at once!!!   Um,  thanks, James Comey already did that !!!  That also involved THREE  seperate card cancellations and replacements.  Recently I was shopping and my card was declined,  turned out someone again hacked it and was buying PlayStation games, as I was using it for groceries.  (I have never owned a PS).  What a nightmare!!!  Now shopping for more secure bank,  altho I keep hearing similar horror stories.  Now they want me to CALL before I use my card--- every time I leave the house!!! No!!!  Ridic.

by: Tiffee Jasso This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 9 01:47:36 2019

To begin. OP should have ended the item. Changed her password. The ad would still be there for Ebay to look at. The Representative that told her to wait and leave it up for sale,  should be fired. Next if you go to the revise or relist page, the paypal or payment address should be in the payment section. That will tell you where the money went. If it is Paypal, call them immediately and advise them of fraud.  Also since you have a Buyer's  name and contact  link OP, you need to let that buyer know they fraud victim. Let them call payment processor and Ebay. Maybe they will have better luck. In the meantime, change your password every day until it gets straightened out.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 9 04:02:15 2019

OP should close his Ebay account.  There are other websites to buy from.  Once this matter is resolved, OP can reopen.  Nothing, absolutely nothing EB does makes sense.  And remember, they fired over 400 techies last year.  No one is watching the store.

by: hawk This user has validated their user name.

Thu May 9 07:35:31 2019

would not put it past ebay , that they are the zombie thief in the first place.