Thu Apr 11 2019 15:05:04

eBay Response to a Sales Slump: Try a New Strategy

By: Reader

Just want to give you an update on the eBay new updates.

I'd like to note that after the December sales disaster I was pleasantly surprised that my January sales were better than my December sales. I sold 143 items in January which is twice as much as I did in December...Much to my surprise it looked like February brought better news, it was selling a few items per day and did not suffer a single day without a sale which is something I was getting used to.

The BOMB exploded March 1st, I think after all the new updates eBay is performing, again sales are not happening...AGAIN!

I called and they are in denial of any problems on the site and I got the usual response from a supervisor in California "Maybe what you are selling is not what people are looking for at this time..."

My answer to him was, "How can you explain that a Top Rated seller who has been on the site for 19 years with perfect feedback and using all the supposed tools that eBay insists we use (like Promoted Listings) sells 143 items in January, 185 items in February and so far 9 in 11 days this month...

...there was silence, and then he told me that perhaps I needed to come up with a new strategy...I thought to myself "What Strategy?"

Bottom line, they have started playing with the site once again and I fear that it will only get worse.

I invite all your readers to look for their listings without signing into their accounts and they will notice how they have gone to town the past week adding Advertising, "Similar Sponsored Items" another "Similar Sponsored Items"  "People who viewed this also bought this" and the most famous one of all "Our Pick"...and even more suggestions at the bottom of the page.

I wonder now more than ever about the upcoming disaster eBay will become in the following weeks.

Ina, as always, thanks again for all your information,
RJ

Perminate Link for eBay Response to a Sales Slump: Try a New Strategy   eBay Response to a Sales Slump: Try a New Strategy

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 15:29:25 2019

Sounds like good advice. Have you tried???? Of course not.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 15:38:11 2019

There is no strategy, Ebay throttled you again. End of story. Nothing you can do will increase sales. Its when Ebay decides your invisible limit is pulled for a bit, and your items get seen again.

The only real strategy is to leave Ebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Thu Apr 11 17:37:50 2019

It's all so simple!  Just trot on down to the enchanted  orchard and pluck a fresh new strategy from the magic strategy tree!  Need directions?  Just follow I-95, past the ice cream lake and over Mount Unicorn, and it'll be on your right.  If you see the free iPhone stand, you went too far!

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 17:57:08 2019

Wondering if the nimrod suggesting alternate products (that can be identified as 'more desirable') has the synapses to realize what would happen if EVERYONE tried to sell ONLY those type items.

Meanwhile - here's a 'strategy' for ya eBay.  Not only can YOU pack sand, your advertisers can too.  And we'll be sure to also tell them why.

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Thu Apr 11 18:28:18 2019

On the Market Realist a few days ago, they had an article on how eBay felt its IA was going to be so good for the customers. Show them everything they want.

Hahaha.......they only know how to drive customers away. It's a roller coaster ride because their platform is so messed up. Knee jerk fixes, jerks fixing, it goes on and on. My sales are down this month too, but I know it's not me, it's not my items. I don't need a new strategy. There's only the platform to blame. I'm still selling on Etsy.

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 19:09:15 2019

My new strategy was Shopify!

by: Scotty This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 19:47:04 2019

I always respond to this type of response with:
''What exactly are your credentials to offer this type of advise?''  or....''What qualifies you to tell me this....are you a business person?''  or....''What is your ebay seller ID so I can see what you sell and for how long you have been doing it?'', etc.
Point is, it is incredibly insulting to have to ''take advice'' from a $5 an hour CS rep in this Philippines.  What on earth would even cause them to think they are qualified to answer a question such as above?  Bottom line, it really tells you what ebay thinks of their sellers....we get ''business advice'' from people who live in huts or shanty towns.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 20:03:57 2019

There is no strategy.

There are also no unicorns, Bigfoots, Aliens in area 51, The JFK assassination was just some random event, there were WMDs in Iraq, 9/11 was just some people who did some things, and of course theres no Keyser Soze.

Since the secret sauce is UNKNOWN, eBay shows whom they want, they silently punish you for things not in your control, and have 1000 other hidden "switches" ... consistent sales will never happen. They cant.

eBay has told me "we have to give EVERYONE a chance to make sales. It doesnt matter if your standings are the best, you are the cheapest, your wife/gf is the hottest on the planet, or if you found the gold on Oak Island."

And I believe them.

It happens all the time - things go great for a week or so - then BAM! back to silence. Same seller, same items, same week/month ...... but different eBay.

As well, the people in eBay that you talk to about eCommerce have the IQ of a potato.

Your "solution" is to sell on multiple platforms if you can - including Walmart, Amazon and Rakuten.

There is no other choice - since unless you pay eBay their VIG (mafia incorporated) you wont get seen "all the time".

It sucks - but until theres a brave politician or news agency that wants to take eBay on - nothing will change.

"it puts the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again"

period.

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Thu Apr 11 22:42:44 2019

March is a typically slow month for sales and feels even slower after the income tax refund shopping rush.

Depending on the items you sell you might also be on the slow down from resellers having to pay their taxes, and sales tanking as a result. I know that is always a problem for me.

Internet sales taxes also probably not going to help the situation either.

Ebay is easy to blame but they are not always the problem. Retail is still retail. Just do the best you can.

by: Snapped This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 12 00:27:35 2019

"Ebay is easy to blame but they are not always the problem. Retail is still retail."

So...if so, then sales must be 'suffering' to the same degree everywhere - for the same reasons.

And those who multi-channel should be able to confirm this, and cite specifically similar 'relative' slowdowns on all those venues too.

Which means if it's not 'you', your 'acumen', and/or your 'products', there can be no "strategy" available to overcome it, right?

But that's not the case, is it.  Doesn't happen elsewhere.  Not to the same degree, or frequency, or 'circumstance'.  And eBay isn't all 'retail' either, despite the desperate fascade and plagerization attempts over the past decade.

What ever can be the explanation?

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 12 08:55:29 2019

@COMMENTS: What income tax refund shopping rush? It didn't happen for me this year. Dismal.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Apr 12 10:57:09 2019

My strategy was building elsewhere.  It worked.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Apr 12 12:47:08 2019

"Ebay is easy to blame but they are not always the problem"

well thats true unless you count:

1) hiding your listings
2) taking fvfs on shipping (something they arent involved in)
3) never helping you as a seller
4) always calling you a liar
5) taking an extra %4 "because you are a bad seller"
6) not allowing other forms of payment
7) control and unauthorized usage of your photos
8) unreasonable requests on your photos
9) not reversing undeserved negative feedback
10) listings manipulation

I could go on ....

This user has validated their user name. by: CanBrit

Sat Apr 13 18:29:26 2019

@comments

As snapped said, I am one who sells on another platform. That one hasn't slowed down. It's consistent, something eBay doesn't understand. I slowly build my business on there. I'm still building and it is growing upwards.

There's no need to make excuses for eBay. People who have sites elsewhere know who's messing up.

The past few days it's been a gigantic technical hiccup, one after the other. Who's going to bother going on that site with all the error messages and unfound pages?

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 14 04:59:21 2019

Retail is retail.  It sounds like you want to monopolize ebay with your sales.  Give everybody else a chance.  If you sell 195 items it sounds like you are doing ok.  What do you sell, cheap China knock offs?  It is ridiculous to complain about a week lull.  I don;t like lulls either, but it happens.  I really don't think tax refunds explosions of sales even happen.  YEA, I just got a tax check, I can't wait to shop in eBay?????????????REALLY.

Strategy...........My strategy is list quality items and wait for the right shopper to purchase it.  Us small sellers always want more sales and 195 would put me in "EBay Heaven"  and I might even be able to put a roof on my house.  Stop complaining and roll with the punches, and learn to see those lulls as small rest periods.

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 14 09:16:33 2019

Windkissed: There is no need for your harsh criticism and insults of RJ. Believe it or not, some of us are ambitious and wish to grow and prosper.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Sun Apr 14 16:42:52 2019

I just want to ask people selling in volume how much of their stock comes from other sellers' fire sales.  It would be easy to sell 150+ a week charging dimes on the dollar for junk I got for pennies.  But it's a model that necessitates somebody else fail at getting a reasonable price first.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 14 18:11:13 2019

I agree with the CSR.  It could be the items you are selling.  I'm finding that the winds of consumerism change with the wind.  Esp. with clothing.  What's hot last year  in clothing (H&M) is not hot today.  The styles and colors change.  Older folk are not buying clothing; younger folk are buying and they buy-into the Subscription model.
OP I don't know what you sell, but it could be that your product which you've been selling for 19 years(?) is outdated.
Another example is games.  I was just reading that the gaming systems like Xbox are going the way of the do-do bird because gaming is in the clouds.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 14 18:13:10 2019

RK :)

eBay works best for 3 classes of people

1) people selling things that are rare or hard to get
2) people selling things that dont cost/them very much
3) people selling more common things, but are protected by the devil from up on high

If you sell anything else - in ANY category - you are just a leaf floating on the ocean current - bobbing to and from hoping that they winds will push you into port (eBay).

Because Evil eBay refuses to tell people (they are only "our selling partners after all" the secret sauce for visibility (besides pay us even more and we will show your listings THIS time) business can never be steady or grow - since a seller will never know what to do to better themselves.

BS "guidance" on "hot items" is just that BS. ALL of us are smart enough to know whats hot. If Game of Thrones is hot/ending then those toys will be hot - DW is not needed to tell anyone that.

If its election time, then election ephemera "should" be hot as well.

As well, if you sell iphones at %50 of the going rate - it will be "hot too" as tech is ALWAYS hot at the right price.

But what about everyone else? How does a regular seller survive when eBay keeps pushing specific big sellers - over and over again??

There cant be "another strategy" because you cant adapt anything, when you dont know anything.

Is it returns?
Is it your feedback?
Is it how often you curse DW out on public and private forums?

What can a seller do (besides pay a heavy VIG to the San Jose mafia) to make your eBay business grow?

Sadly the dolts in San Jose and overseas dont know - and the ones overseas arent even paid to know. They, get paid to "comfort you" "im so soffy you are having issues selling on the platform", "too bad, eat the loss".

As for the US based potato heads - they dont care. THEY get good salaries, free food, free gym, perks and all kinds of other stuff. They could care less if you sold someone an expensive item and got back a rock. As long as the gravy train keeps on rolling - thats all that counts.

Thats why when you hear eBay say ANYTHING about HELPING YOU, SELLER PROTECTION, SAVING YOU MONEY - you know its all a lie - they arent your friend, your partner, your anything - they simply positioned themselves as "enemy #1". "Cause when you get screwed, eBays there to cheer on the criminal."

And as always - I DARE any eBay lurker employee to take me to court or sue me .... they cant - cause its true.

Amazon was right - they may be bigger bastards - but at least they dont pretend to be "your selling partner".

by: ebayout This user has validated their user name.

Sun Apr 14 19:47:34 2019

My strategy...never call ebay with a problem which has a nebulous answer probability that's >99%.