Sat Mar 23 2019 00:11:13

Seller Pays the Price for Mistakes in eBay Product Catalog

By: Reader

I just wanted to let you know that I just received a SNAD (not as described) complaint from a buyer stating I shipped them the wrong item. I sold them a pair of brand new in box Frye boots that when they received them stated I shipped them the wrong color and the measurements do not measure up with my info.

I asked them what was wrong with the item and they stated I shipped them a pair of charcoal colored boots and the listing stated grey and that measurements were wrong.

I stated my listing says charcoal color and nowhere in the listing is the word grey. They messaged me back with the product and catalog info eBay provided them that was nowhere on my listing and was for the wrong pair of boots and not mine.

So I contacted eBay and pointed out that my listing was perfect and the buyer received the exact item that was on my listing, and that eBay catalog had provided the incorrect info for my boots to the buyer.

Both the customer service rep and their supervisor agreed it was a catalog error but it was still my responsibility to make the buyer happy.

So I am now out original shipping and return shipping on a 5-pound item and have a defect for this, all because eBay refuses to take responsibility for known errors in the catalog.

This is just wrong, and there is no way to know what info eBay is providing buyers on all listings before buyer purchases.
Nancy

Update 3/23/19: After an outspoken eBay user ( @FidoMaster1 ) tweeted a link to this letter, eBay's Customer Service account tweeted the following response:

"We apologise for any issues that our catalogue initiative has caused with listings and are always happy to review any instances of this, taking responsibility if needed. We would urge members to reach out to us if they have any questions~ Laura J" (5:36 AM - 23 Mar 2019)

While it's not clear exactly what process the seller should take (they already contacted eBay customer service), I'll point the reader to the tweet.

Perminate Link for Seller Pays the Price for Mistakes in eBay Product   Seller Pays the Price for Mistakes in eBay Product

by: Silver Ice King This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 23 01:27:50 2019

This has been happening over and over with other sellers also and Ebay refuses to remove the SNAD or do anything at all to make up for their mistake and poor programming.  They know that once they admit that this is their fault and start covering any costs or removing SNADs that they will have admitted their programming that they spent so much money on, is a useless piece of trash that isn't even close to worth the cheap price they paid for it.

This attitude of nothing is ever our fault and that is a cost of doing business on our site for you is getting old for a lot of Sellers and then Ebay wonders why they cannot show any growth.  They need to just get rid of the catalog or spend the money necessary to fix it, if it can ever be fixed.

Expecting the sellers to step up and do the work for them like they did last year is a pathetic way of doing business, but is about all that Ebay can do since they refuse to spend the money necessary to hire top talented people and that includes the way overpaid CEO who should get absolutely nothing for a bonus this  year and if wages were dependent on accomplishing something he would need to pay Ebay for even letting him step in the door.

This is just another way to try and get sellers to have to pay the additional 4% FVF as they just cannot justify any increase in FVF  with the platform and traffic they they now have. Even the push for promoted listings where Sellers are stupidly paying Ebay close to double tor in many cases more than double the normal FVF just to get their items seen.  Ebay should be providing traffic and views for the original listing and FVF but again they need to show growth somehow so they basically steal from the Sellers who pay for their listings but are not willing to bribe Ebay to actually show their listings.  That is all that Promoted :Listings is anymore, just a bribe so that the company will show your products rather than those that didn't pay the bribe.

Actually I guess another word for what they do is Extortion, but what bother getting into that also.  Ebay knows that they now cross the line on many occasions but are daring somebody to actually challenge them because they have attorneys filling almost ever upper management position rather than the talent that should be there.

I cannot wait for the next Shareholders meeting and to see if Wenig has the guts to allow the entire Q &  A session to be heard via the web or will this Technology leader suddenly lose all audio and probably video this year.  It would be hilarious if Sellers bought enough stock in Ebay to be able to attend this meeting and really let Wenig and the other shareholders see why Ebay is where it is today.

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 23 02:43:10 2019

Customer Service folks were DEAD WRONG to rule the way they did.

OP states that NONE of those problem area Color / Size differences APPEARED in his/her listing.

There seems to be a GENERAL CONFUSION on the part of the (Uninformed) Customer Service Reps AND the Buyer to even THINK that anybody gets to BUY from the Cockamamie "Ebah Catalog".   As wrong as the Catalog page is that eBay serves up when a Would-Be Buyer SEARCHES for "Frye Boot size 12-1/2" it only SHOWS the "buyer" a list of SELLERS such that eBay SLOPPY SLOPPY search engine THINKS meet that description.
It is still  CAVEAT EMPTOR /  Buyer Beware imperative for the BUYER to go to, read, and review the EXACT description, photos and TEXT of the seller.  Example: if one searched "1968 Corvette Roadster", but was LOOKING to FIND the Revelle Plastic MODEL of that exact CAR there should be no expectation that when eBay Search gave BOTH $10k CARS and $20 Plastic CAR MODEL Kits.

Perhaps I'm too deeply into the weeds with my examples but the fact remains that NOBODY makes their BUYING DECISION from the Catalog one page nonsense.   The still have to click to the EXACT PAGE of the EXACT SELLER and there they SEE and READ

by: redruben This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 23 05:09:30 2019

in all honesty -  I do have to admit that ebay has helped me in the past with returns- I had a cuistomer who suddenly claimed that antiques we sold were false and he wanted a return for both- however it became quite clear to me that he had not only buyers remorse and wanted to  keep the items - we used every way we could to get our items back and ebay went with it - and gave us support- one of the items has already sold again with no complaint whatsoever-  and in all honesty- the most recent cases we had other than the one we just mentioned have also been returned succesfully- it just depends on who you have to help out - if it is someone who is a native from your country or not- if the dude is from a third world contact center who barely speaks your language then you may have a problem

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Sat Mar 23 06:27:15 2019

Stories like Nancy's (OP) get me incensed! 😡

Nancy, I'm not sure how long ago you submitted this to Ina but if you weren't made whole by eBay on this I suggest you DO revisit this with them.

If you want help "banging the drum" on this please feel free to drop me a line at fidomaster@protonmail.com or direct-message me on Twitter (click the "Web Site" link below my profile).

I intend to forward this LTTE to a few mainstream journalists along with some color commentary. Other readers please consider doing same, and sharing it on Facebook, Twitter, and any other forums or social networks you may use.

Other than that, SIK captured my other sentiments very well, and probably better than I could articulate them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@SIK said, "It would be hilarious if Sellers bought enough stock in Ebay to be able to attend this meeting and really let Wenig and the other shareholders see why Ebay is where it is today."
_____________________
I am often amazed to learn that 10-20 year eBay sellers, especially full-time business sellers who are or were selling on eBay exclusively, who already have a *significant* financial stake in eBay, are not shareholders.

Different subject for a different day I suppose.

by: notfunanymore This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 23 06:51:59 2019

Don’t worry.. eBay is going to work with its “partners”
Wake the heck up people!!!
Seriously!, if you strip away all the noise they create and look at what they do from a logical standpoint, they’re not your partners, it’s all about them, your just a worker ant, and nothing else.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 23 07:42:22 2019

@fidomaster.

Why would sellers even want to consider buying ebay stock..... You might want to take a look at all those Government Motors people who had stock in that company because they worked there and then lost most of their investment when the slimy company when backrupty.

Like the old saying says never put all your eggs in the same basket. Those long time sellers on ebay are smart enough to see the writing on the walls and want no part of giving them more money. Better to invest in money under the mattress as one will be so much further ahead.

by: papergoy This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 23 08:05:33 2019

No different than the Amazon catalog (though they've gotten better lately at not "cleaning it up".)  The classic is that the first issue of a miniseries of a comic book usually shares the cover photo with the trade...so Amazon sees a similar picture and merges them.  And I listed a single issue of the comic...and the buyer thinks he's getting the entire trade collection....and I'm the bad guy- and I had nothing to do with it!  So it isn't just an eBay issue- it's one Amazon has had for years.

by: Frank Abagnale This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 23 09:13:50 2019

Nancy, trying sending a message on Facebook to Ebay For Business

This user has validated their user name. by: Ina

Sat Mar 23 12:54:01 2019

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll make sure the letter-writer has seen these responses - also see the update above.

by: pace306 This user has validated their user name.

Sat Mar 23 21:37:33 2019

Its been a VERY long time - almost since the "catalog was created" that eBay holds sellers responsible - if the catalog is wrong.

I learned the hard way a year or so ago when I sold a piece of Sony audio equipment - my listing and the box picture were correct, eBays catalog was not.

Of course its all eBays fault - as always. eBay created this monster but take ZERO responsibility when its wrong.

eBay was too god d@mn cheap to do it right - either get info from manufacturers (they hate them but they could have gotten catalogs at CES)(oops the dont go to CES anymore after being laughed out 4 yrs ago) OR they could have licensed icecat or others.

But instead they tried to force sellers into creating it - because DW's houses, jet fuel and "security" are more important then his sellers.

Like with everything else - eBay is just the San Jose mafia (and I triple dare eBay corp to come sue me for slander). Just put the onus on sellers, blame them when its YOUR fault, lie cheat and steal - then collect all the money.

It wouldnt have "cost eBay anything" to undo the SNAD, even if they put the return through - why hurt people and their business's for no good reason????

I learned the hard way - NEVER use eBays catalog and ONLY put in the info in the specifics that have stars aka do as little as possible.

Until I get paid to create eBays catalog - they can drop dead.

by: plcombs This user has validated their user name.

Sun Mar 24 07:32:30 2019

Pretty typical,

Rule #1 for eBay Customer service...The Seller is ALWAYS Wrong even when they admit it was an eBay screw up.

Rule #2, Make dam sure nothing ever costs eBay a dime.

by: kazaly This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 02:30:41 2019

The crazy thing is, they have a heap of data from manufacturers and publishers that is accurate yet eBay manages to ignore it.
ISBN's are a good example:
Every publisher knows exactly what category their publication fits within and eBay provide this data correctly (for the most part) in the displayed product info.
Yet when the eBay category is assigned to the listing, the wrong eBay category is often used.
eBay has correct data but either misapplies it or does not care to use it.
The upshot is that sellers have to deliberately ignore categorizing their books in order to categorize them correctly.
Franz Kafka could have come up with a great yarn based on this premise.
Sellers are also required to do double entry for every listing where publication year, author(s) and a few other fields do not auto fill from the publisher's data already on file.
Notifying ebay about errors is both time consuming and ineffectual so nobody bothers.
Like most of their initiatives, this is yet another that is poorly conceived and poorly implemented with abysmal follow up and zero support.
We are provided with a half baked system that is an error ridden joke and are just expected to put up with it and take responsibility for its failings.
This is no way to run a company, especially one in the tech space.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 07:35:10 2019

I'm not sure how the color got confused.  Is the OP saying that EB changed the color in item specifics?  Did the OP show the actual boot in the picture and could not the buyer see it was a CHARCOAL gray?  I often taken pics of a purple color item and it uploads as BLUE.  And I put in the description, emphasizing in BOLD print "color is PURPLE NOT BLUE".  I had to do that with a jacket and no matter the lighting it showed up BLUE.  Sometimes a dark brown will photo as BLACK.  OP and others have to emphasize the real color.

by: jewelryqueen521 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 08:19:23 2019

As someone who had to use different names for the same color if it was a different fabric to make the computers happy for over 20 years charcoal is gray??? So is smoke, ash, and about 30 other names. Charcoal being the most obvious? I don’t get this stupidity?

by: rfmtm This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 10:37:38 2019

The ebay Catalog has many errors, and sellers have no way to correct them.  I have written repeatably to ebay about errors with examples and links for mine and other's listings with no results.

What's will be worse, is since these problems affect search results, they could be exploited by unscrupulous sellers in the future, if not already.

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 12:05:25 2019

The problem here is Ebay wants you to get snads, less ocmpetition for the chinese and hopefully you fall under the 3% mark so they cab get more money from you.

They also love incorrect catalogue information because it vreates a return which they make more money off of, and then make money off of the seller reselling the same item.

Ebay are nothing short of criminals.

Its time Ebay starts being investigated for this type of behavior.

by: Amble Outdoors USA This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 13:15:46 2019

eBay should never seek to become Amazon Lite -- where the Amazon catalog has untold numbers of descriptive errors, from too many uninformed hands in the listing access pie. And why we no longer sell on Amazon.

Preventing sellers from having their eBay listings diminished and ratings marred through no fault of their own should be the first fix for the 2019 management team.

Related issue: We noticed that the inventory numbers on multiple listings of ours were incorrect and had to be manually fixed; no reason and no explanation to date. FYI. This was just last week.

by: Amble Outdoors USA This user has validated their user name.

Mon Mar 25 13:51:04 2019

Update: Both the Inventory and Price columns under editable Listings had errors today. Some items were priced below our wholesale cost -- you should check your eBay listings NOW.

This user has validated their user name. by: Bidonmine

Mon Mar 25 17:07:22 2019

More reasons for what I will be doing shortly..... Though I have not, in the past, considered a 100% elimination of eBay as a selling outlet, I now have the opportunity to see the results of a 4-month hiatus. I am moving from NJ to TN and have to sell-off and then pack up my flea-market business which is stored in three 10x20 garages. I am going to concentrate on only flea markets (and Uber/Lyft on rainy days) for the next four months (in my area, I can sell at a flea market on W,Th,F,Sa,Su... leaving no time for eBay). However, my Amazon FBA will continue, as I can list and ship to Amazon much easier than eBay.  I predict that there will be no hit on my bottom line when adjusted for my other activities. I have been on eBay since two-months after they started.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 28 09:03:36 2019

Ebay would be much better off if they would stay out of seller's businesses and just stick to how they started in the first place, as a advertising medium.  I run my own business how I see fit so that I make a profit.  I am not on ebay just to make customers HAPPY.  I am on here to sell a viable product for a decent price that gives me a profit, that is what a business does.  We do the listings so how does ebay justify nosing into our descriptions.