Tue Mar 12 2019 22:29:20

Launch of eBay GTC Mandate Imminent

By: Reader

Well, one of my listings was converted to GTC 4 days ago on the 8th of March, much earlier than "mid-March" as eBay claimed was the timeline! Other sellers should be aware and check on their recently expired 30-day listings.

After getting off the phone with an eBay rep, she says the date is March 18th, which is the first I've heard of an actual date when the change to GTC will happen.

In the interim, I'm not listing any items. Going forward, I'll list twice a month so that I have control over when I need to cancel so I have time to adjust price, rest a listing, update title, etc.
Thanks.
R.

Perminate Link for Launch of eBay GTC Mandate Imminent   Launch of eBay GTC Mandate Imminent

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 13 02:11:28 2019

Use your Seller Hub or My Ebay Active listings list to work from.  You can sort the reports my End date so you know when they are due to renew.  You can revise or close listings as you see fit.

Stay away from posting GTC listings the first week or the last week of a month and you won't experience a month where your GTCs will renew twice for a couple years or more.

Plenty of time for Ebay to figure out how to best deal with sellers that are really concerned about this.

Must of the issues and concerns about going to GTCs comes form a lack of understanding of how to use GTCs to your advantage and because it is something that is being mandated.

We all hate to be told what to do.  So much of the anger and concern is driven by the hatred the feeling of being forced into something brings out in us.  But once the emotions settle and we learn more about using GTCs, many sellers are actually going to find out they work better for them.

With that said, there are going to be plenty of sellers this is just not going to work for.  The smaller the seller the harder this one might be to deal with.

Ask questions, get to the Ebay boards and seek out advice from other sellers that may be able to give you some tips.  Steer clear of the angry posters.  Your goal is to look for information that may help YOU to SUCCEED.

by: 227272 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 05:52:45 2019

''You can revise or close listings as you see fit.''

This hasn't been my experience. In the past, some of us have received unwarranted warnings/demerits from over-zealous bots for this. I received a warning, for instance, when I once ended all of my BIN listings early because I was going on vacation.

I have been seeing lots of advice about ending listings early to be able to have some control over the date of relists, but I don't trust eBay not to penalize the seller for this in some way.

If I want to have my listings be visible as ''new'' every two weeks, and so end my items early and relist them on a two week cycle, what would be eBay's response, I wonder?

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 05:54:44 2019

No worries. Greedbay. Bring it on.

This user has validated their user name. by: RKTOYS

Wed Mar 13 08:09:47 2019

I don't agree with most of it, Marie, but the advice about listing in the middle of the month is something I was going to suggest myself.

by: geoffreymason This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 09:44:58 2019

Yesterday, I was told by a CSR that the GTC changeover would be on March 20, though it may be delayed until as late as the 25th! Clearly, nobody there knows a g.d. thing. Also, this might have been subterfuge--you know ebay. I expect that ebay will make this as hard for sellers as it possibly can, but who cares anymore?

by: mcposty This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 11:58:04 2019

The scary part is that ending you listing early will probably start hitting your metrics.

Ebay can't seem to have any positivity going for it.

by: RL15 This user has validated their user name.

Wed Mar 13 12:02:44 2019

end listings early so fleecebay can charge fvf's claiming the item must have been sold off of fleecebay.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Wed Mar 13 13:26:25 2019

@227272
Then you need to contact Ebay customer service.  GTCs are allowed to be revised or closed whenever the seller has the need to do so.  What you described is NOT the same thing.  You are talking about FP listings which in a few days will be no more anyway.  They won't be an option.

I have used GTC listings for many years.  I've never been warned or received any kind of negative emails from Ebay because of it.  NEVER.

If you want to end all your listings every two weeks and then post them again.  You can do that.  It may get expensive depending on how many listings you are talking about, but you can do it without violating any Ebay policy.  However I don't know what you gain by doing that.  But still you choice to make.
***************************************

The start date depends on who you ask.  But be sure it will start any day now.  Sellers will see it when they go to list a BIN and they can't do anything but a GTC.  So it isn't going to sneak up on anyone.  It isn't retroactive or anything and it doesn't affect listings that were posted BEFORE the mandatory GTC policy goes into effect.

Viewing your active listings in the Seller Hub or My Ebay and then sort by the end date will keep you informed on what is coming up for renewal and then you can decide if you want it to renew or end the listing before it renews.

I think that many will find out that GTC listings saves a seller time, especially on multiple quantity stuff.  But there are absolutely sellers, especially those with single quantities that this change will be much harder on.

I think making it mandatory is wrong.  It is going to make it extremely hard on casual sellers especially, but many small sellers as well.

by: ToolDIva This user has validated their user name.

Thu Mar 14 08:57:53 2019

Here's another issue with GTC: Say you plan to end your listings just before they automatically roll over to avoid the listing fees and a potential buyer sends you a question about a listing. Then you end that listing as planned and of course Feebay assumes you made a sale ''outside of Ebay'' and charges you the FVF.

This user has validated their user name. by: cfrphoto

Thu Mar 14 09:48:10 2019

The eBay Seller Hub is a blunt instrument not suited for nuanced automated repricing of listings and it does not scale. Apparently, eBay managers don't understand its limitations because they have not used any of the better third party listing and fulfillment tools like the SixBit eCommerce Solution.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Thu Mar 14 13:41:29 2019

@tooldiva
I can only speak to that from my experience.  But I've had that exact situation happen a few times over the years that I've been running GTCs and I've never been spanked by Ebay.  So I'm not so sure this is actually an issue.

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Thu Mar 14 19:03:18 2019

For anyone wanting an alternative to manually scheduling and timing GTC relsting (or try a TurboLister alternative) that will optionally interrupt the GTC autorenelstin, WonderLister just updated their software to include a feature to optionally force-end GTC listings for review/disposition prior to GTC auto-renewal kicking-in.

This feature is included and available to *all* subscriber levels (including the $5/mo one).

The feature is now live in production and is available to everyone as promised (you'll need to download and install the client update from www.WonderLister.com/download - not the in-app auto-update).

Here is how it works:

1. When you create a listing, you can simply check a box to “End Listing before auto renewal” – available only if it is Fixed Price and GTC
2. Existing listings – can be BULK EDITED for this option
3. If you duplicate a listing that has this option checked, the duplicated one will also have this option checked
4. If this option is ON, then, WL will try (please note TRY) to END the listing 10 minutes BEFORE it is due for renewal.

I *LOVE* supporting small businesses and developers that are responsive to customers wants/needs/desires! (such a refreshing contrast to eBay). Major kudos to Chavi and Chris and the rest of the team at WonderLister.