Thu Feb 7 2019 23:40:17

See Which Feature eBay Seller Wants More Of

By: Reader

I am having an interesting problem with eBay that I thought I would share with you. I am involved with 3 different stores on eBay.

My main store is the Basic $21.95 a month level with around 300 items. I also have a Starter level store at $4.95 with only 40 or so items. My partner has a Premium Store at $59.95 a month with almost 850 items.

Around November my partner's store started showing an option called "Offers to Watchers" in the manage active listings view. This feature allows a seller to make an offer to people watching your items. He used it with pretty good success.

A few weeks later my Starter level store showed the same "Offers to Watchers" button and I made a sale or 2 using this feature.

A few more weeks went by and I noticed my Basic level store did not have that feature. I contacted eBay in December and they said that in the near future all users would have that feature.

It is now 2 months later and I still do not have the "Offers to Watchers' feature in my Store. I have contacted eBay for the 3rd or 4th time and they have not responded this time around. It is not a big deal, but I think that I would be making more sales with this feature. Are you aware of this feature and why eBay has not finished rolling it out to all of its sellers?
Thanks,
Jeff

Perminate Link for See Which Feature eBay Seller Wants More Of   See Which Feature eBay Seller Wants More Of

by: angryllama This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 8 05:49:51 2019

Happy to hear you are LOOKING FORWARD to having this feature, but you did yourself a DIS-Service by ADDING a Starter store once you already had a BASIC store.  ( Or ADDED a BASIC store yet KEPT your STARTER store. Having 2 truncated "mini-store" memberships was just about your worst possible scenario.)
Say what?    Yep, the STARTER STORE was intended by eBay right from DAY ONE to be a truncated version of even the (previously) LOWEST GRADE of "store".
If you will go back and READ the eBay supplied descriptions of the STORE features you will see that the LOWER you go the LESS you get.

Your best path forward is to EITHER drop your STARTER store like a HOT ROCK and KEEP your BASIC store, .... OR  Drop your Starter Store AND UpGrade your BASIC store to Premium store.

What?  Yes, the Premium store covers ALL the listing fees for 1,000 listing AND RE-listings for each MONTH for a paltry $59.95.  (Roughly $25 more than you are paying NOW and added benefits, too.)

HUGE benefit to that is that it PERMITS you to set up ADDITIONAL HUNDREDS of Good Til Cancelled listing as BUY NOW at somewhat aggressively $higher$ price.

How is THAT a good plan?  Simple.  Comes as news to MANY that it is NOT always the LOWEST cost item that sells.  Every time that one of your AGGRESSIVELY priced items sells every "extra dollar" is the closest thing to FREE money.   This is ESPECIALLY beneficial is you are SELLING in categories where the LISTING / RE-Listing fee is $-.30 as the break-even quantity of listings is MASSIVELY LOWER than in the Media category where MOST of my listings reside.
Don't forget that PREMIUM store also provides 4 each $50 credits toward purchasing eBay Shipping Supplies. Think of that as effectively DROPPING your $59.95 per month by $16.67 each and every month.

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Feb 8 06:37:37 2019

Coming soon: (or here already?)   Buyers who EXPECT a lower offer on your fixed price.  Thanks for nothing.  Sellers who take less than there fixed price are now conditioning buyers to ask for a lower price.  This is "the coddled eBay buyer 5.0".  (As if they needed anything else to make them entitled.)

Many sellers have cut and cut and cut and there is just no wiggle room.  The can of worms has been opened.  Of course those sellers who sell unique items that don't have competitors will be an advantage because no one can "shop" their items.  That is one way of dealing with this.

Hold firm folks!

This user has validated their user name. by: Rexford

Fri Feb 8 06:38:12 2019

"THEIR fixed price".  Coffee please.

by: sasikat9 This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 8 07:00:26 2019

Why wait for a offer. Just cut your price to 10 cents and leave the rest of us alone.

by: hopeforthebest This user has validated their user name.

Fri Feb 8 09:14:32 2019

Just enable the 'make an offer' feature on your listing, you don't need a store for that.

This user has validated their user name. by: Lightning

Fri Feb 8 14:06:33 2019

@Angryllama
Very well detailed, for sellers in the situation of having multiple stores.

Sometimes, though, people want different store identities because the products they sell don't gel.  Maybe it's hard to sell hand made jewelry items from your store that sells mostly oil filters and hydraulic jacks.  Buyers may want to sense that you know your product category.  Having a separate ''brand'' can work to your advantage.  It's not always about listing at the lowest price.  It's about getting the most value for what you spend, and image has a cost, too.

This user has validated their user name. by: Marie

Sun Feb 10 02:05:36 2019

It is not unusual for Ebay to roll out certain changes.  Not going site wide.

by: Windkissed This user has validated their user name.

Sun Feb 10 08:54:59 2019

Agree with Rexford:  Hold Firm.  I have cut and cut and cut but my expenses go up and up and up.  These buyers need to realize everything is not negotiable.

This user has validated their user name. by: LasVagueness

Mon Feb 11 00:47:03 2019

Holding firm, Rexford, holding firm!

by: comments This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 03:05:52 2019

Useful seller friendly features get tested and tested at risk of being axed. It is only counter productive and return encouraging stuff that gets rushed out untested.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 03:50:52 2019

I would never reduce the price on a MQFP item because then repeat customers would never pay full price again.  If one has a single item to move, offering a discount may make sense, but for commodity items that are priced right, price-cutting to watchers is not helpful.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 07:12:07 2019

I have a starter store and comparing my revenue (profits) from Ebay pre-starter vs. post starter is day and night.  Invoice payments are HIGHER and sales are down about -30 to -50%.  Also I'm being penalized 4% because of below standard level.  Also, I didn't know  but I know now that EB charges for Buy it Now listings w/ auctions.  The fees and penalties (nobody else does it) is horrific.  So my invoice payments went from $20-$30 average to over $50 (up to $70) when I got the store.  I can't wait for my subscription to end.

by: Chicago48 This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 07:16:26 2019

OT:  I noticed the ECB writeup about Canadians paying US Sales Tax.  Is the same being applied to Chinese sellers?  It seems unfair that foreign countries have to pay taxes on US sales (we don't do that on their sales!).  And the Canadians may want to look into legal - class action lawsuit over this ridiculous sales tax law, that is applied differently across the country.

by: Iwishiwaskidding This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 12:19:18 2019

My regular, non store account has the make offer feature.  However, it is not always available.  Some days I can make offers on all items.  Other days just one or two.  Just depends.  Have you considered opening a new account, and seeing if it comes with that feature?  Maybe transition to a free third account instead of a store and a second store, two free and one store?

This user has validated their user name. by: FidoMaster

Mon Feb 11 12:21:56 2019

Jeff, fortunately for you (and others that liked that feature) in a twist to eBay CS reps' frequent misinformation (or innocent ignorance), you can expect with a reasonable degree of confidence for it to return at some point just as you were told (well, as long as Wenig's still CEO at least -- if eBay gets busted-up and PE gets involved all bets are off).

Recall Wenig bringing in his FinTech Wall Street-type buddy Harry Temkin in a few months ago as the new head of "Seller Experience", as well as the teaser at eBay open -- with struggling growth eBay is attempting to grease the pole to quickly reach the lowest price acceptable to the seller in order to facilitate higher overall marketplace transaction volume and velocity yielding a net increase in GMV.

A lot gets said about the "Amizonification" of eBay, but many of these initiatives are more akin to what I think of as the "E-Tradeification" of eBay -- in the future Wenig wants offers (trades) with buyers and sellers making best offers (limit orders) made in a one-to-many manner instead of the one-to-one mode currently offered.

Really, if you want a clearer glimpse into Wenig's desired future of how eBay conducts transactions just log into your online brokerage account.

by: eastwestphoto This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 12:54:59 2019

I think eBay is too harsh in grading a Seller on shipping times, especially when the fault lies with eBay programming glitches to start with. Feedback was designed to bring the playing field to rise in standards. But that is NOT what happened. The buyers got evil,  and used it for a extortion system. Its time to end feedback, you have already two firms backing the sale up.

by: BackInBlack This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 14:40:06 2019

I don't even have a store, but noticed this feature showed up on my Seller Dashboard a couple or three weeks ago.
Even though I have 'Make Offer' on a few items, it kind of made me angry because if I sell those items any cheaper than I have them listed, I'll barely break even, after fees and shipping.  When you can't make money on an item with a $2 cost that sells for $7-10 and is bulky but weighs less than half a pound... it seems like there is something wrong somewhere.

by: Paul W This user has validated their user name.

Mon Feb 11 15:24:37 2019

@Chicago48

Neither Canadian sellers, nor Chinese sellers, nor any other sellers anywhere in the world are paying sales tax.  eBay is collecting sales tax from BUYERS in certain states.  Sellers are neither collecting nor paying any sales taxes.

by: Whatever This user has validated their user name.

Thu Feb 14 06:29:15 2019

good lord - why on earth would you want to sell your items "cheaper" than you already have them posted for? Didn't you figure out all your expenses when you posted the original listing? Doesn't ebay - paypal and the post office already grab enough of your money? Perhaps your just wanting to dump everything and get out of the game entirely? I could care less if they do or do not give me that option. As a matter of fact I used the old tried and true raise the price everytime you relist rule if it doesn't sell the first time. If 3 months go by and it still doesn't sell I figure no one is interested in that item and since ebay constantly hides older listings I simply move it to my website (I mean storage) to bring back at a later point in time.